Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial | Boston Common | Downtown

The last thing that came from Walla Walla to New England did ok so maybe this memorial will surprise. If not, perhaps it can be replaced by something younger and better looking.

Are you saying the statue will be have a very strong arm (but may throw off the back foot too often)?

Great progress!

254055A8-3B83-43F4-A3DB-8C4861BE1EEC.jpeg
55116573-D054-40F9-BD1E-686B797D07EA.jpeg
7C332BBC-2628-45C6-AAEB-C04914BE83A7.jpeg
A5E90249-1EBC-4333-9638-781623571F36.jpeg

The first photo looks like someone holding his head in anguish.

LOL. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. It's like it comes from an alternate universe where Rodin's "The Thinker" becomes Rodin's "The Headache".

The cluster of disembodied copper arms emerging from the ground kind of reminds me of this

I love it.

It's passionate, it made me think and it moved me. Isn't that the purpose of most art?

And I know, I know the whole J. Edgar Hoover stuff, but the man was putting himself on the line for a greater good knowing full well what was going to result and Coretta embraced him and supported him in the quest for a greater good.

In this day and age of chatbots and texts, where so many cannot even simply reach a live human voice, this physical embrace (and its meaning) is profound.

Last edited:
Haven't seen it in person yet but it's looking good.
Hopefully it tows the line right between abstract contemporary sculpture and a more classical literal style.
It does look like it will become a real focal point for locals and tourists.

This is rather jarring. I’m trying to find the meaning of this.
Rarely is BU regarded for its artist contributions, but I much prefer the understated elegance of Free at Last:

Can we all see it completed in person before coming to any conclusions? This is too important a project to dismiss based upon a few photographs of a partially completed project or to deride with penis jokes. I was actually encouraged by the photos posted by Dr. Rosen Rosen above.

Back