Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial | Boston Common | Downtown

UKHaDyT.png
Amazing how this sculpture looks like something different from different angles. The photo above looks to me like MLK bent over in sorrow with his head in his arms.

Beginning to see one or two pics on social media from friends visiting the city and getting photos taken at it.
Sure it looks weird from certain angles but it's an ambitious piece.
The initial online giggling and faux outrage will give way to it becoming an iconic and conversation provoking landmark.
Precisely.

I’m actually starting to like this thread again. ;)

I’m guessing a lot more people are going to start loving this sculpture:

Well, if Kim Kardashian likes it then my mind is changed 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Amazing how this sculpture looks like something different from different angles. The photo above looks to me like MLK bent over in sorrow with his head in his arms.

The way people are interacting with it here is really the reason it was made the way it was. A lot of people asked why there was no torsos or heads, but the purpose was so people could walk around underneath and through the sculpture. I think thats why it doesnt come across so well in photographs vs when people experience it in person, because its meant to be interacted with. And of course also for getting a pic for social media of you hugging your s/o underneath.

It looks it’s best from Tremont, and invites the curious. Other angles are less felicitous, inviting comment.
Among its peers: much better than the maudlin Famine Memorial, not as good as the elegant Holocaust Memorial. It is much cleaner than the hippie encampment that occupied the very same spot in 1968.

Back