Mass. rail cheaper, but less reliable

vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
Mass. rail cheaper, but less reliable
84.5% of trains reported on time
By Noah Bierman
Globe Staff / December 9, 2007

Boston's commuter rail service runs more cheaply than the nation's four other large suburban rail systems, but the thriftiness comes with a price: the least reliable service.

Over the past four years, since the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Co. began operating the region's suburban rail service, the system has regularly trailed Chicago's Metra, New York's Metro-North, New Jersey Transit's commuter rail, and the Long Island Rail Road, in on-time performance, a Boston Globe review shows.

And since January, the system has posted its worst on-time performance yet: 84.5 percent of the commuter trains have been on time, compared to 94 percent or higher for rail lines in other states. Boston's rail operator counts trains as tardy if they are at least five minutes late; other lines define late as six minutes or more.

Tomorrow, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority board is scheduled to vote on whether to grant a long-term contract extension to Mass. Bay Commuter - a private consortium that has been under fire from commuters and legislators in recent months - or to entertain offers from other bidders.

According to two sources familiar with the negotiations, the MBTA staff is prepared to recommend a three-year extension, two years less than the company is seeking but more than the minimum necessary to make the transition to a new operator.

Even if dissatisfied with the service, the MBTA board will have to extend the contract at least another two years, because it would take that long to solicit and evaluate competitive bids on a new pact and then turn over the complex operation to a new operator, according to MBTA general manager Daniel A. Grabauskas.

"They're going to give these guys an extended contract? It's unbelievable," said Ned Abelson, 51, a Wellesley resident who said he drove to work Tuesday after 25 frustrating minutes on the platform that included two different posted reasons for train delays and a train that sped by without stopping.

Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad, whose management has historical ties to the MBTA and its chairman, operates the rail line at a cost of 29 cents per passenger mile, less than Chicago (31 cents), New Jersey (33 cents), Metro-North (46 cents), and LIRR (49 cents).

The most current national fare comparisons available, compiled in 2005, before a recent Boston increase, show Boston's commuter rail tickets are relatively inexpensive. Conductors collected about 13 cents for every passenger mile traveled, more than Chicago (12.8 cents) but less than New Jersey (15 cents), Long Island's (23 cents), and New York's Metro-North (28.2 cents).

Tomorrow's vote comes after Mass. Bay Commuter's worst two months on the job. Three in 10 trains were late in October and November, prompting rider unrest, accusations of worker delay tactics, and political infighting that has reached the highest levels at the State House.

"You haven't heard me screaming?" Governor Deval Patrick said, only half-jokingly, when asked about the late trains during a recent news conference.

James O'Leary, general manager and co-owner of the railroad company, acknowledges the recent problems, but said that Massachusetts Bay Commuter has performed well over the life of the contract, despite workforce problems and an old fleet of trains.

"You need to look at what we've accomplished over the last 4 1/2 years," O'Leary said. "We basically have achieved what the T has asked for."

When the MBTA board votes tomorrow, its chairman, Transportation Secretary Bernard Cohen, will not participate. For six months in 2003, he worked for O'Leary at Mass. Bay Commuter as it took over operations of the commuter rail system from Amtrak. After the Globe raised questions about those six months, a spokesman said that Cohen would abstain, to avoid an appearance of a conflict of interest.

The ties between the MBTA and Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad go back even further. O'Leary ran the MBTA for most of the 1980s, before joining two other companies in founding Mass. Bay Commuter. Cohen also worked for O'Leary at the MBTA as special assistant to the general manager.

The Boston region's commuter rail, which carries about 72,000 passengers round-trip every day, is the largest US service run by a private company. In mid-2003, Mass. Bay Commuter took over operations from Amtrak, which had operated the system for nearly two decades.

Under the terms of its five-year $1.07 billion contract, Mass. Bay Commuter has to maintain and operate the trains and most of the tracks, while the MBTA remains responsible for buying new trains and undertaking large-scale overhauls.

Since 2003, commuter trains have arrived within the five-minute on-time window 90.5 percent of the time, considerably lower than Metro-North and Chicago's Metra and slightly behind New Jersey Transit and the LIRR.

Under its contract, Mass. Bay Commuter is required to deliver trains within the five-minute window 95 percent of the time. But the contract also grants exceptions for late trains - for circumstances that are beyond the company's control - that other commuter lines would count as late. Taking into account these exemptions, the company has a 95.1 percent performance rate over the life of the contract. Still, the company must pay a fine for each train that is more than five minutes late. This has translated into $1.67 million in penalties since 2003.

Cohen called the delays in the last two months "completely unacceptable" and said he has been disappointed with Mass. Bay Commuter's record in refurbishing older coaches - an ongoing project that is a year behind schedule. But he said the company's performance needs to be judged over the life of the contract.

In considering a new contract, Cohen said, "we have to get some commitment from them." He did not elaborate on what that would include.

The recent delays were not the first time that the rail contractor has sparked the riders' ire. In summer 2006, canceled trains and a lack of air-conditioning on many trains left commuters sweating through their business suits and ultimately forced the resignation of the company's general manager. O'Leary, who already owned a stake in the company, then took over as general manager, and the number of trains lacking air-conditioning dropped from 40 to four last summer.

The problems that led to the recent delays are more complex: Old trains, worker retaliation against a new schedule, maintenance problems, shared tracks, and the completion of the Greenbush line have all been cited by the MBTA, Mass. Bay Commuter, and the unions. Grabauskas has pointed out repeatedly that Mass. Bay Commuter signed a contract knowing it had a complex system to run. And O'Leary also knew he would have to integrate new service to Scituate on the Greenbush line, added at the end of October.

But the MBTA's old fleet has complicated the contractor's job. Twenty-five of the system's 80 locomotives are 33 years old, past the MBTA's own recommended retirement age. A 1997 overhaul "certainly extended their life, but they're 33 years old," O'Leary said.

The MBTA, which also operates the city's subway system and buses, is financially strapped, with a multibillion dollar debt load and yearly deficits. This has made investments in new trains difficult. According to the most recent data collected by the American Public Transportation Association, the MBTA spent proportionately less than its peers on capital investments. Over the next two to four years, however, it has plans to purchase 28 locomotives with an option for another 28. That's down from an earlier pledge of 38 trains.

Beyond the quality of the trains, O'Leary said, another big hurdle is the lack of control over some of the tracks in the system. CSX rail controls traffic on the Worcester-Framingham line, where Mass. Bay Commuter has its worst on-time performance. That gives the commuter rail little power when CSX bumps its trains in favor of long freight trains.

But that is not unique. New Jersey Transit depends on Amtrak tracks for more than half of its daily trains to and from Penn Station in New York.

The key to keeping those trains on-time is slotting them correctly so they do not lose their spot in the order to an Amtrak train, said Dan Stessel, spokesman for NJ Transit.

O'Leary has also cited problems with his workers. He said workers were told in June they would have more difficult schedules, with shorter breaks between assignments, and some began silently retaliating by following the rules of their contract in ways that would deliberately slow down trains. Union leaders say that they have not sanctioned such actions and that O'Leary is trying to shift blame when the true problems are a lack of staffing and old trains.

Riders have complained in e-mails to the Globe that conductors are slow to pick up fares and in some cases had not been opening all the doors to let people in and out quickly. Some of those issues have since been resolved, and O'Leary said he has been working with union leadership.

Many commuters say they would pay higher fares if it meant better service. But the most recent hike, about 25 percent in January, preceded the worst on-time performance in at least four years.

That poor record, said Bill Litant, a 56-year-old MIT employee who has ridden the rail since 1980, is not acceptable: "If every time you got in your car, 10 of those times it didn't get you where you were supposed to go when you were supposed to get there, you'd get rid of the car."

Link

I would love to see the MBTA buy all new cars and electrify the system corridors - where it isn't already - to increase efficiency and save money for the future. Obviously this type of project would take years and millions to accomplish, but now that the MBTA is getting satisfactory reviews from the public, it's the right time to keep moving forward. I just can't get over all the budgetary cutbacks and sink holes. It's really unfortunate. I feel like most rail systems are built and then monitored and fixed only when something has completely broken rather than maintaining the system at a healthy homeostasis. Not just the MBTA but also the Northeast Corridor and Amtrak systems.

No, I was in a rush. Just wanted to put in my marcs. it almost seems as though I quoted.

Thanks, its good to be here.

there need to be additional rails on some of these lines - especially now that the Greenbush is sharing with the old colony trains.

where would they have the space to put more rail? development is so dense in these areas isnt it?

Correct, from what I understand, there is very limited (if any) space in that area for any additional rails. However, the fact is those rails are overcrowded as it is (at least during rush hour) and there simply needs to be another rail.

One reason the commuter rails are so crowded in that area is that the Quincy-Braintree branch of the Red Line was built in much of their former right-of-way.

Yeah, well this doesn't bode well for Amtrak or the MBTA just based off of the current surrounding developments in this zone. While I do fully support new infrastructure and technology for the NEC (Amtrak & MBTA,) it is going to be quite a feat to overcome. The fact that development is so dense points out a serious problem for the expansion of mass transit - not just in MA - but all the way to NYP and Washington - Union Station.

I would love to see the MBTA buy all new cars and electrify the system corridors - where it isn't already - to increase efficiency and save money for the future. Obviously this type of project would take years and millions to accomplish, but now that the MBTA is getting satisfactory reviews from the public, it's the right time to keep moving forward. I just can't get over all the budgetary cutbacks and sink holes. It's really unfortunate. I feel like most rail systems are built and then monitored and fixed only when something has completely broken rather than maintaining the system at a healthy homeostasis. Not just the MBTA but also the Northeast Corridor and Amtrak systems.
Where to start?

The MBTA has refused to buy electric motors for the Attleboro-Providence line, which is already electrified. Electric traction would speed the commute and increase capacity on the line.

The NEC between New Haven and Boston has state-of-the-art electrification. The line is well-maintained because of the speeds achieved.

The NEC between New Haven and Stamford is having its catenary system replaced by the state of CT. The state is moving slowly. The states of CT and NY have replaced the old catenary between Stamford and New Rochelle. AMTRAK is currently replacing the catenary between New Rochelle and Pelham. Replacing the current catenary between NYC and Washington is a project that will cost several billion $. The catenary most likely would be first replaced in New Jersey, so speeds could increase from current 135 mph to 150-160.

There is generally adequate right of way to put in an additional track between New Haven and Washington, except for the stretch between Penn Station and Seacaucus. NJ Transit is planning on a new tunnel under the Hudson to increase train capacity.

Aside from improvements in signaling and buying new locomotives with more horsepower, if the MBTA were to build high-level platforms at its stations, that would lessen the time a train stops at a station, and decrease the overall trip times.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I know the catenary structures down past new haven to NY are OLD. The electrification of the NEC was a great project that took something like 30 years (just ending completely as recently as 2003?) It stinks going down to NY from Boston on the Acela for one reason: The speeds from Boston to about New Haven are so lovely but past there it just seems to get slower and slower and slower and once you're right outside of the city it feels like I'm driving with my grandma.

I'm originally from the shoreline in CT and I know the infrastructure in the area is especially good. I always used to love seeing the Acela go by because it would fly through the Old Saybrook station at top speeds.

As of late, the system has been seeing record capacity levels. I guess the question I was trying to ask was how will the system accommodate future plans to expand service and increase frequency of trains running up and down the corridor. Will freight services and passenger rail join together to streamline the system and make it easier for passenger services to run more frequently? With gained interest in the system by many residents will this spark any intent by the government to do something about it? I know of a few transportation bills in congress that would further fund Amtrak, but those never seem to get very far. I feel like oil pretty much dictates the ridership of the system. Lets just do away with oil contracts and put trains every where people live.

I recall hearing that drawbridges in Connecticut are one obstacle to adding more trains in this part of the Corridor.

I'm not trying to post 100 times in a day, but regarding Amtrak & Acela ... it is amazing how popular it has become.

I have been to NYC maybe five times over the past four months, and each time the train was packed. In fact, I wasn't able to get a ticket, at least once.

It's still a much better way to get to Penn Station, if you have an extra hour ... less stress, less modes of transportation, more comfortable.

I highly recommend it to everyone.

Actually, no, don't do it. You'll only make it harder for me to get onboard.

I recall hearing that drawbridges in Connecticut are one obstacle to adding more trains in this part of the Corridor.

Through New London the tracks leading to the bridges and on the bridges are being replaced with new ties, etc. The Old Saybrook Bridge is terrible - it usually gets stuck open in the summer when boats need to get out of the connecticut river leaving amtrak traffic backed up. I know one of the bridges is being replaced as we speak (maybe not RIGHT this second, but you get the idea.)

We have gotten way off topic thanks to me. Maybe we should make a rail thread. It is an important issue in city & regional planning - intercity passenger services - and so on.

The complications upgrading the Acela infrastructure any more are harrowing. I'd like to see a new corridor established, with more or less straight track, from Boston to Hartford to New York. When France first built the TGV, it basically built only new, linear corridors like those, at least outside urban areas.

In a perfect world with any sense, it would already be built. I'll draw something up to see where the possibilities for a future system could run. Do you think that it could run through major cities still just in different areas? or do you think it would have to go through other points that would then connect to the existing system?

Last edited:
There was an article in the Boston Globe in the 70's(?) that said instead of upgrading the shore route to New York it might be better to use the inland route to Worcester then south to New York. This route is longer but it's pretty straight.

I know the CT DEP is doing environmental impact studies along the old CT River Valley Railroad from Hartford, Middletown, Haddam, and points south to Old Saybrook. It's relatively straight. There is a lot of community opposition in Haddam especially because of the development (primarily residential,) ON the tracks or over or near. This could be a good alternative in the future. It then connects to the current system at old saybrook and goes to New Haven. It could be a good market as the majority of residents commute to New Haven, Hartford, Glastonbury. Most of the land built on is state land so the residents can't really do much about it.

There's no use if the line just reconnects and heads south on the current tracks at New Haven...it's the New Haven -> New York stretch that's the worst speedwise.

^^^^
The capacity limits on AMTRAK service between New Haven and Boston are a result of Connecticut boat owners insisting that the drawbridges remain open to navigation most of the time so they could sail or motor their boats freely to or from Long Island Sound.. Unless the state of CT changes that agreement (which was part of allowing AMTRAK to electrify the shoreline route) the number of daily trains is capped. AMTRAK could add more cars to the Regional trains to carry more passengers, but the Acela's are a standard train set, and to increase capacity on an individual Acela, AMTRAK would have to purchase additional cars and lengthen the train set from 6 to 8 or 9 cars. The locomotives can easily pull more cars.

The slow speeds between New Haven and Stamford are on tracks owned and maintained by Metro North. The slow speeds are primarily the result of the aged catenary (pantographs tend to snag and pull down the old wire); track curvature (the Acelas cannot use their tilt mechanism); on-going track work and catenary replacement (so at least one track is out of service) that will be going on for another five years (CT is funding this work piecemeal).

Back