Massachusetts Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Improvements

The EGE

Reaction score
Great idea - we really need a proper interurban bus network. I would extend it to Fitchburg proper to allow connections with the local buses (but still have the timed rail connection at Wachusett.)

Other corridors I would recommend:
  • Newburyport-Haverhill-Lawrence-Lowell. Right now it takes 4 buses to make that trip.
  • Framingham-Westborough-Worcester via Route 9
  • Concord-Maynard-Hudson-Northborough-Worcester (as a feeder to commuter rail)
  • Worcester-Leominster-Fitchburg
  • Springfield-Holyoke-Northampton-Greenfield (at least until we get proper rail service on that corridor)
  • Worcester-Springfield with few stops
  • Worcester-Springfield via Route 9
  • North Adams-Greenfield
  • Pittsfield-Lee-Westfield-Springfield
  • Providence-Fall River-New Bedford
  • Providence-Worcester
Only a few of those corridors have any service with comparable stops right now, those that do (like SPG-GFD) have limited service that's not useful for commuting or other day trips.

guitarguynboston

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why the Fitchburg/Leominster area does not have at least a local bus, that's reasonably priced, and has a decent frequency, that gets you to Worcester. Considering Worcester is what the 2nd biggest city in NE and is only a 10/15min drive down I190.

Out here in the burbs of Massachusetts they really need to beef up public transit. I know we'll never get the trolley lines back here but a bus once an hour on all the lines is ridiculous never to mind they don't run on Sundays and end early and start late on Saturdays mind you weekday normal service hours at before 6pm.

I remember a few years back I was bartending during the day shift at a local bar in Fitchburg and would get out of work around 5/530pm, the bar was maybe 2 blocks from the MBTA Commuter Rail/Local Bus Hub and I couldn't catch the last bus to Leominster no matter how fast I walked. You're basically forced to have a car in order to work and live out here.

393b40

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why the Fitchburg/Leominster area does not have at least a local bus, that's reasonably priced, and has a decent frequency, that gets you to Worcester. Considering Worcester is what the 2nd biggest city in NE and is only a 10/15min drive down I190.
Because Massachusetts politics is Boston-centric. Beacon Hill rarely considers anything outside of 95 for anything beyond table scraps.