Maxwell's Green | Magoun Square | Somerville

Busses, you'll have to get used to Whiglander's crankiness. He has a rather bad habit of firing off a few rounds of vitriol before getting to the meat of the comment if there's something about you he doesn't like or if you are new to the board. It is something I'm seeing more and more from him, along with the frequent and long copy and paste jobs from Wikipedia. Best to just ignore it and continue with your regular approach of responding topically.

Visited this site yesterday. A lot of progress has been made in the last few months. The main building facing Lowell Street is being leased.

Maxwell Green 8/5 Somerville
The new townhouses look to be in the final stages of costruction, so they will be up for sale soon.

Maxwell Green 8/5 Somerville
With all the buildings at height and walled the complex has become Somervilles Fort Apache. Very inward focused and turning its back on the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Design nice. Street orientation of some kind would be better!

These are the kind of rowhouses (on a larger scale, obv) I originally envisioned making up blocks and blocks of the Seaport. Oh well.

You will be able to walk or bike through the whole development, from Clyde and Warwick streets up to Lowell Street, when construction is finished. Right now unfinished areas are still fenced off.

^ I meant street orientation as in the way the buildings are arranged relative to the roadways. This has a garden apartment feel.

Given how it's shoehorned into such an awkward plot I'm not surprised. Besides, what's wrong with a garden apartment?

^ Nothing, functionally, I guess. I just prefer the "room-like" aesthetic of a street. I get that the site is weird, but they could have run a road or street-like path in front of those rowhouses rather than fill it with amorphous landscaping.

These are the kind of rowhouses (on a larger scale, obv) I originally envisioned making up blocks and blocks of the Seaport. Oh well.

Sigh. It would have been fantastic if the Seaport were built with exactly these types of structures (obviously with some diversity in design) and aligned to the streetgrid.

#Missedopportunitieswe'llnevergetback #ThanksKairos

Aerial shot I took of Maxwell's Green during a mapping flight on the morning of Jan 18, 2013
Eatne2M.jpg

I appreciate how they've handled it a weird road setup. This is beautiful.

I do some development work for a company that does mapping from aircraft (think like google maps). This is a sample from one of those flights.

This is admirably progressive for Somerville. Usually it's new construction is some kind of neo-colonial shlock (cue up the unadmirably regressive Assembly Square buildout sadly sprouting in Cheesecake Factory awfulness.)

I appreciate how they've handled it a weird road setup. This is beautiful.

My problem with the site is that there's a two-way road surrounding the entire green in the middle. Completely unnecessary. Makes the buildings feel way too far away from the amenity.

That's just a driveway. No through motor traffic is allowed in Maxwell's Green. A gate actually prevents it. Some of the parking spaces have to be accessed from Lowell Street, others from Warwick Street.

(You can of course still bike or walk through it.)

I know it's not meant to be used as a road, and that's why it being two lanes is even more pointless. A one-lane road would be fine.

Back