MBTA Bus & BRT

jass

Reaction score
It was a survey about BRT, so they weren't going to ask train questions. They just wanted to know what train people thought about the presented BRT scenarios, and whether that was different from what bike people thought, and what bus people thought, and etc. The only issue I had with it is that I couldn't accurately describe my transit usage. It's not as frequent as 2-3 times a week, but it is more frequent than 2-3 time a month.
I get its a bus survey, but thats not the question prompt.

The question says to answer from the point of view of your most used mode.

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
I was about half way through when I realized I was supposed to be viewing these pictures through the lens of my primary mode.

jass

Reaction score
That lane was pretty much a pick-up and drop off zone for south station. They need to find a real designated place or else people will block the buses

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
That lane was pretty much a pick-up and drop off zone for south station. They need to find a real designated place or else people will block the buses
As part of this they've moved all the shuttles to Dorchester Ave which has helped and removed right turns from the intersection (which no one is listening to). The other side of the road directly in front of SS is worse for the pickup dropoff chaos.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
The pictured lane is on the Evens side of Summer, whereas SS is on the Odds side. Is there a similar lane on the Odds/Station/Fidelity side?

My preferred SS kiss-and-ride spot (whether I'm the driver or the passenger) is "at the big shiny 245" in the gap between SS and Fidelity.

The EGE

Reaction score
Looks like another change to the Harvard Bus Tunnel: the lower busway has reopened, but a second closure of the upper busway has begun.

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
This seems to have escaped notice, but very quietly there are now 19 brand spanking new 1900-series 40-footer hybrids in-service from the ongoing 194-bus New Flyer option order. All are currently assigned to Charlestown routes. By year's end there should be enough on-hand that we start seeing the decrepit 15-year-old Neoplans begin to get yanked from service for decommissioning and scrap.

bigeman312

Reaction score
What happened to extending the 70 to Kendall?? Grrrr.
I think this was the right call for now. Reliability & on-time performance is so miserable on the 70/70A, and the average trip so long, that it would be operationally infeasible to extend the 70 right now.

This change will hopefully make the 70 more dispatchable, and therefore extendable, but I agree with this order of events:

Simplify route -> realize faster more reliable trips -> extend route

If something falters in step two and another adjustment is needed, that would be much more manageable to tackle before extending the route.

Full disclosure, I say this as a long-time near-daily 70/70A rider.