MBTA Bus & BRT

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
Why were they not capable of building a station that had few leaks in the first place?
If I remember correctly one of the big problems was poorly designed sump pumps which routinely get clogged and fail, which to me sounded an awful lot like a design fault from whichever engineering firm did the original designs

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
If I remember correctly one of the big problems was poorly designed sump pumps which routinely get clogged and fail, which to me sounded an awful lot like a design fault from whichever engineering firm did the original designs
I think there is a general engineering design failure in Boston underground transportation construction.

Throughout our underground road and transit structures, we seem to rely on the active sump pump mechanism, rather than effective waterproofing of the structures. Active systems will fail, even with backups and maintenance.

Our designs don't really try hard to be waterproof in the first place, they leak like sieves. You cannot expect sump pumps to compensate for that.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
The Big Dig originally proposed a full tunnel inside the slurry walls, but that was VE’d into using the slurry walls directly as part of the tunnel box.

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of leakage in the tunnels. The Courthouse Station seems to have the major issue. I have never seen it dry.
I hope they also get the signs and anouncements working for the outbound side. You never know when/what the next SL will arrive. Rant over

roy_mustang76

Reaction score
People are pretty good about the painted bus/bike lane on Broadway in Somerville, even though there sure was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth when it first went in.
Lynn has some bus lanes already on N Common Street, S Common Street, and Market Street. They're not particularly well respected, and there's little chance that painted bus lanes on the Lynnway would be much better respected. As someone who drives that stretch of 1A frequently... The bus lanes are gonna need physical separation if you want to do it right imo.

Stlin

Reaction score
Apparently the MBTA and City of Boston will be launching a fare free pilot on the 28, to be announced tomorrow morning. NGL, I think that the 28 and the demographic it tends to serve is a pretty good choice; if fare free buses are going to be proven, I think it'd be proven here.