MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

The EGE

Reaction score
Yes, that's a new thing. Schedules prior to the 2015 storms didn't mention winter service, 2015-2017 had a pared-down weekday schedule for snow, and 2018-2020 just had a vague mention of reduced schedules being available online.

The EGE

Reaction score
Bikes not being allow on peak trains has, unfortunately, returned.

No change to Fairmount, Fitchburg, Framingham/Worcester, Needham, Newburyport/Rockport, and Providence/Stoughton.

Franklin has trains shifted by a few minutes, and some running times slightly lengthened. Windsor Gardens becomes a flag stop for all trains.

Greenbush has minor shifts, and one afternoon inbound that skipped QC and JFK/UMass now stops.

Haverhill has slight shifts, mostly of stop times at Bradford.

Kingston has minor shifts.

Lowell has a couple minutes added to outbound trains between North Billerica and Lowell.

Middleborough running times are lengthened 1-2 minutes.

Riverside

Reaction score
(I thought I saw minor changes to Providence, but I didn't look carefully.)

One thing to note about the weekend schedule now also being the snow schedule is that, in my opinion, the weekend schedules are a bit better than they used to be. Regular service that is clockfacing and typically every 2 hours (and if not, the cadence remains consistent throughout the day). If memory serves, that is not that far off from last winter's storm schedules to begin with. Making the weekend and storm schedules one and the same greatly simplifies communications during storms.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
This looks really good! Minus the caltrain high/low doors… Its just a photoshop for their presentation so I wouldnt look to far into it. The T colors go really well with these trainsets imo.

Pulled from the envision everett presentation
http://www.cityofeverett.com/DocumentCenter/View/6491/Envision-Everett?bidId
I'm pretty sure that picture's from the MBTA's presentation on the EMU Request for Information last year. Theoretically possible the T would buy something like that, though there was some discussion here about how they might not be the best choice thanks to Caltrain's tinkering.

WormtownNative

Reaction score
The other issue is that we're designing stations for raised platforms, whereas the Caltrain's system is designed for low platforms.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
The other issue is that we're designing stations for raised platforms, whereas the Caltrain's system is designed for low platforms.
That particular Stadler EMU is even worse-off, because they had to mod it to fit both Caltrain's low platforms and CAHSR's bizarrely-customized 50-inch raised platforms. Stadler outright admitted in the RFI response that the California EMU is not compatible with our platforms (without modification, that is).