MBTA Commuter Rail (Operations, Keolis, & Short Term)

• Very strange that those two round trips are cut back to Littleton - perhaps it's to accommodate freight slots?

Historically, the outer Fitchburg saw 90 minute headways during midday. Perhaps the current hourly headway is seeing incredibly low demand, so they are experimenting with the 2 hour headway, which, to be fair, is the only option if you are going to keep the inner section of the line on today's (much better) hourly clockfacing frequencies.

As for Foxboro, it's an interesting question. The problem with the current Foxboro route is that it bypasses Walpole, which is still well within the "middle tier" of demand that Norwood sits in; Foxboro is farther away and in the wrong direction so it's unlikely for Walpole commuters to use it as an alternative. If memory serves, anecdotal evidence suggested that the original pilot resulted in major overcrowding at the Norwood parking lots.

Perhaps there's some level of "use it or lose it" politics here, so the T is opting for the midday service to "hold" the line until a rebuild at Walpole can allow both Franklin and Foxboro trains to stop?

As for Foxboro, it's an interesting question. The problem with the current Foxboro route is that it bypasses Walpole, which is still well within the "middle tier" of demand that Norwood sits in; Foxboro is farther away and in the wrong direction so it's unlikely for Walpole commuters to use it as an alternative. If memory serves, anecdotal evidence suggested that the original pilot resulted in major overcrowding at the Norwood parking lots.

Perhaps there's some level of "use it or lose it" politics here, so the T is opting for the midday service to "hold" the line until a rebuild at Walpole can allow both Franklin and Foxboro trains to stop?

More likely they determined that line-wide OTP was going to crater again on the peak like it did last time, so they need Double Tracking Phase II or Phase III completed before they can rejigger the rush-hour Forge Park schedules non-invasively. If it's only the already-underway Phase II Norfolk-Franklin that they're waiting to come online then they might be able to re-add the peak Foxboro slots by the Fall schedule revision, making this awkward off-peak only interregnum temporary.

Yeah, I mean, I assumed this would only be a temporary thing -- my question (and I'm guessing The EGE's as well) is why start the temporary measure now. But, I'll note that the press release does call it the "newly renamed Franklin/Foxboro Line", so perhaps, as you say, they anticipate being able to return full-time service later this year, and want to start generating positivity among the public for an expansion of service.

The T and Baker administration also announced today that a number of improvements to the Fairmount Line will become permanent, including
  • 45-min headways
  • Payment via CharlieCard
  • Free transfer to the Red Line, Silver Line, and local bus
  • Allowing bikes onboard all day (strangely absent from this press release, but as The EGE noted above, included in Keolis's release)
I'll note that those features bring the Fairmount Line remarkably close to being the long-proposed Indigo Line. The major gap of course is the frequencies, which would probably need to be tripled before it'd be justifiable to start marking it as a rapid transit line. But, in principle, the building blocks look like they are there today.

Yeah, I mean, I assumed this would only be a temporary thing -- my question (and I'm guessing The EGE's as well) is why start the temporary measure now. But, I'll note that the press release does call it the "newly renamed Franklin/Foxboro Line", so perhaps, as you say, they anticipate being able to return full-time service later this year, and want to start generating positivity among the public for an expansion of service.
The T and Baker administration also announced today that a number of improvements to the Fairmount Line will become permanent, including
  • 45-min headways
  • Payment via CharlieCard
  • Free transfer to the Red Line, Silver Line, and local bus
  • Allowing bikes onboard all day (strangely absent from this press release, but as The EGE noted above, included in Keolis's release)
I'll note that those features bring the Fairmount Line remarkably close to being the long-proposed Indigo Line. The major gap of course is the frequencies, which would probably need to be tripled before it'd be justifiable to start marking it as a rapid transit line. But, in principle, the building blocks look like they are there today.

You sort of answer your own question here. The Foxboro return is the fuel for the headway improvement on Fairmount, as well as presumably the source of the bi-level assignments that allow onboard bike storage.

I can't believe they even thought to make a public announcement about the Fairmount line stating 45min headways?!?!? I would have thought they would have left any info out and defered anything related to that horrible headway time. They are trying to push that Fairmount is rapid transit right??? And I love how the free transfer is stated as some great news thing when it should have been that way since the line opened up in the 1st place. Ugh

I hope that the return of service to Foxboro is the impetus for reconstructing Walpole with a full-high center platform on the other side of Elm Street.

More likely they determined that line-wide OTP was going to crater again on the peak like it did last time, so they need Double Tracking Phase II or Phase III completed before they can rejigger the rush-hour Forge Park schedules non-invasively. If it's only the already-underway Phase II Norfolk-Franklin that they're waiting to come online then they might be able to re-add the peak Foxboro slots by the Fall schedule revision, making this awkward off-peak only interregnum temporary.

Is Norfolk getting a second or island platform? Or is double tracking both entrance and exit of the station sufficient?

Is Norfolk getting a second or island platform? Or is double tracking both entrance and exit of the station sufficient?
It's getting a second side platform, separate and after Double Tracking Phase II Norfolk-Franklin is complete. The double-tracking project will bring the second track through the station, and for the time being they'll use the adjacent crossovers to go in/out of the current single platform.

Is a layover yard still planned to be constructed at Foxboro now that service is coming back later this month?

40 minutes is a better headway than 45 IMO

First train to Foxboro today!
IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

Ridership: 2, me and my friend. Ironically, on both inbound and outbound trips, I saw more people waiting at Walpole (skipped) than Foxboro. Are there plans to add a platform there yet?

The onboard announcements were not configured properly today. On the outbound train, the announcement said it would terminate at Walpole, when the train in fact did not even stop there. The inbound train had no announcements at all.

First train to Foxboro today!
View attachment 24678
View attachment 24679
View attachment 24680
View attachment 24681
View attachment 24682

Ridership: 2, me and my friend. Ironically, on both inbound and outbound trips, I saw more people waiting at Walpole (skipped) than Foxboro. Are there plans to add a platform there yet?

The onboard announcements were not configured properly today. On the outbound train, the announcement said it would terminate at Walpole, when the train in fact did not even stop there. The inbound train had no announcements at all.
They really should add a platform to stop in Walpole. It looks like there's room for an auxiliary platform across the Elm Street bridge by the extra parking lots.

They really should add a platform to stop in Walpole. It looks like there's room for an auxiliary platform across the Elm Street bridge by the extra parking lots.

I agree that a new platform should be built across the Elm Street (and Neponset River) bridges, however this platform should outright replace the existing low-level platform instead of being an auxiliary platform. If the bridges were widened, an 800 foot high-level center platform configured to serve both Foxboro and Forge Park trains (with a freight-only track) would be the optimal solution.

Reconfiguring Walpole station should be a priority for the Franklin/Foxboro line after the double track project is complete.

Walpole's the highest-ridership non-accessible stop on the system now that Natick is getting a rebuild, so the Mass Architectural Board is not likely to greenlight an aux platform @ Walpole for Foxboro-running service unless the main Forge Park-running platform gets ADA'd in tandem; it would trigger a full-on accessibility rebuild of the whole works. And that's going to be a royal mess because the historic-designated depot building doesn't interface with full-highs and the amount of space for platform length inside the wye is less than the M.A.B.'s 450 ft. minimum for proper accessibility (they want at least 5 cars to be able to open all doors).

I agree that a new platform should be built across the Elm Street (and Neponset River) bridges, however this platform should outright replace the existing low-level platform instead of being an auxiliary platform. If the bridges were widened, an 800 foot high-level center platform configured to serve both Foxboro and Forge Park trains (with a freight-only track) would be the optimal solution.

Reconfiguring Walpole station should be a priority for the Franklin/Foxboro line after the double track project is complete.

Definitely. But it'll be pricey to do the relocation to a uni-island the other side of Elm. And require lots of community input from a town that's got somewhat of a notorious reputation for being difficult for the state to work with. It would be nice to see some movement afoot to get something done here, even though realistically we can expect it to take awhile to thrash through and get it done.

Back