MBTA Periwinkle Line

Pierce

Reaction score
I thought I'd try my hand at connecting dots and ROWs and cobbling together a transit line. Mine seizes the swath of undeveloped land alongside Melnea Cass before using the meatpacking area to connect it to all the active(?) and abandoned ROWs in the seaport area.

I give you The Periwinkle Line.

I'm sure it's flawed, and I'd love to hear why. But among its benefits:

It seems fairly low impact in terms of land acquisition and infrastructural investment.

It intersects with Orange Line and Commuter Rail(Ruggles), Two different Silver Line branches, #1 bus, and comes within two blocks of the red line.

Connects South End, South Boston, and the Seaport.

It services Northeastern, the BU Medical Center, South Bay Shopping Center, the Convention Center, and the BOA Pavilion.

It is passes nearby to an existing MBTA service barn and yard (Red Line). I have no idea how well conventional heavy rail, third rail subway and light rail tracks play together. I imagine it takes some reconfiguration to thread this line in through there, but it can't be that onerous.

I see this being used by service industry workers commuting to Seaport, by commuters coming in via orange line and mbcr to ruggles then taking this to BU Med Ctr area, and could relieve South Station a bit during BOA pavilion events, Harpoon St Pat's Day party, etc--could be an agent for symbiosis for the hotels between Med Ctr and Convention Ctr areas.

And if the Newmarket Square area ever evolves its ready to go.

Extend it past Ruggles up Ruggles Street and get a little creative and it isn't too difficult to make this line connect the Longwood Medical area with the BU medical area, and connect the MFA and Gardener (and Mass Art) to the purt near the ICA, Fort Point, and Design Center.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I like this a lot, and could definitely see it enhancing the existing system. My preference would be for this to be done as heavy rail, maybe as an Orange Line spur, rather than a completely separate line. I'd do cut and cover subway on Melnea Cass, then above ground through Southie, and elevated over the South Station approach track work.

One problem, though -- you have it sharing a row with the Indigo line, which I don't think is feasible. I'm also not sure what I'd do along Southampton St. I'm inclined to make it an El, but that will never happen again in Boston.

This one also needs to get moved to the 'Design a Better Boston' folder.

Back