MBTA stations that are aging well

Smuttynose

Reaction score
This is a topic I spend a fair amount of time thinking about since it seems like we have a pretty crappy track record of just general very basic station maintenance. I worry that the Government Center stations of today will look like the Alewife/Alewife garage do today in 20 years. Everytime I go to Alewife I feel like the station was buried in volcanic ash the day before and they just finished digging it out enough that it's technically operational. I wish we could have DC Metro style stations where I can't really discern between the new stations and those that were built 45 years ago.

Is this something we have made significant progress on in that we're either devoting more to maintenance or in constructing stations that age better over time? I was recently at the Airport station for the first time in a while and thought it was holding up reasonably well, by T standards, for being 18 years old. Can anybody name others?
20220405_174003.jpg
20220405_174017.jpg
20220405_174125.jpg

This is a topic I spend a fair amount of time thinking about since it seems like we have a pretty crappy track record of just general very basic station maintenance. I worry that the Government Center stations of today will look like the Alewife/Alewife garage do today in 20 years. Everytime I go to Alewife I feel like the station was buried in volcanic ash the day before and they just finished digging it out enough that it's technically operational. I wish we could have DC Metro style stations where I can't really discern between the new stations and those that were built 45 years ago.

Is this something we have made significant progress on in that we're either devoting more to maintenance or in constructing stations that age better over time? I was recently at the Airport station for the first time in a while and thought it was holding up reasonably well, by T standards, for being 18 years old. Can anybody name others?

Not sure if others will agree, but I actually think Harvard Sq. station has aged quite well. Deferred maintenance and always-under-construction-busway aside, the station manages to have a grand and airy feel to it that even its earth-tones can't diminish too much.

When this was being rebuilt, I thought they'd rename it Logan Airport. :unsure:

Last edited:
Although relatively new, I would say Ashmont is generally pretty nice (if you ignore the "bathroom").

Speaking of aging stations, I'm happy that the T has consolidated a few of the stations on Comm. Ave., but has anyone noticed that the other stations along that same route seem to have been neglected & are crumbling & falling apart? I wonder when they'll get around to fixing those ones. :unsure:

Back