MBTA Train Redesign

Regarding the logo, what if there was a thick outline, like in the current actual logo, combines with your more stylized take?

Great project. Follow-up questions about the doors...

What did you find disagreeable about the double-sliding doors they have now? I imagine double-sliding would open faster than what you're showing here. Any reason you went this route?

Also, while I appreciate the design thought of making the door essentially seamless with the facade, I think there's good reason to draw attention to the doors - 1) so that passengers can judge where to stand, and 2) in case of an emergency, responders can easily know where to enter. (Maybe three yellow arrows on the gray bottom section of the door would be a nice compromise?)

IMO, the Red Line doesn't really have a capacity problem. Innovative solutions should all be directed toward the Green Line.

I haven't taken the Red Line during rush hour in some time, but its pretty bad. Plus, wasn't the idea of Big Red a way to increase capacity on the Red Line?

With demand increasing, a train that would increase capacity without necessarily increasing the number of trains running can't be a bad idea given the T's financials. They have to buy these trains anyway since the original 1500s and 1600s are getting long in the tooth, so why not buy trains that will allow you to replace one-for-one while still providing some room for future increased demand?

Sure, it might not be an immediate pressing need, but one has to look ahead.

Thanks, but again, I did not rip off any logos. If so, it is purely coincidental. Here is every Stokholm train logo I could find:

200px-Stockholm_commuter_rail_symbol.svg.png

sl.png

ae_logo.gif

Aside from two of them including a circle, what are the similarities? Please tell me if I've overlooked the logo you are referring to.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't saying that you were ripping off the current T logo, but that the MBTA is themselves. An almost identical logo (black T on a white background with the black circle) was introduced on the Stockholm metro system (to stand for "tunnelbana") before the MBTA was even in existence as its current entity. To show you, if you haven't seen this video, check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw At 1:12, you get a good view of the entrance with the logo.

And for anyone interested, here's a series of photos of the Stockholm metro, arguably one of the coolest in the world. http://luketechtips.com/a-neat-blog-about-tech/unbelievably-cool-swedish-subway-system.html (I notice HenryAlan beat me to the punch by a few hours over in the MBTA Art thread).

Last edited:
It would be great if the MBTA can redesign not just the trains, but convert the entire system to Maglev.

It would be great if the MBTA can redesign not just the trains, but convert the entire system to Maglev.

Some NIMBY would team up with an ambulance chaser and sue. Everyone's paranoid about electromagnetic radiation and a jury would be swayed by any expert spouting techno-jargon until their eyes bleed.

Can you also design me my monorails for the Rose Kennedy Greenway?

Haha, yeah. But wait, YOUR monorail? I am pretty sure we should be referring to it as the archBOSTON.org's monorail, or the N. - S. Station Monorail.

And those designs are sick! That would be awesome if they looked like that!

This is a previous version, which isn't the most cost-practical solution due to its asymmetrical construction. It was driven more by aesthetics than anything. This one has a subframe, or cradle, which tilts the cabin during turns to counteract side-to-side motions. Not a new idea, but it might help on banked topography:

5426565594_a70580ec0f_z.jpg

Words above the entryways read: "Allow exiting passengers out before entering". A little added preventative measure for a problem we users see all the time :)

This looks cooler!

Back