MBTA Transit Upgrade Blitz Wish List?

F-line, you may know. The Little Building is in such shitttttttttty shape. I mean the front is held on by strapping right now. Emerson obviously has to do something. Any enticement to provide ADA to at least IB side via the Little Building when that happens? Would code even allow or would they be obligated to do both IB and OB at once?

The LB is a no-go.

The former passageway now leads to the middle of the college's gym. It is completely covered by a new wall and there is zero trace of the entrance to be found. Even if the gym weren't there, I doubt Emerson would want random people roaming around its basement. It's a small space and would have to be completely reconfigured to keep private areas secure.

The staircase leading down there is barely wide enough to handle the crowds you get going to the treadmills, much less a subway. It can't be widened.

On the Boylston side, it opens to a very narrow stretch of platform that really wouldn't allow for two-way wheelchair traffic.

On a somewhat related note, I recall the T once proposed to turn the Dunkin' Donuts space into a Silver Line Phase III entrance without running the idea by Emerson first.

I have to wonder if it would be easier to ADA Boylston by resurrecting the ancient plans to connect Park and Boylston as one gigantic superstition.

That was the plan at one point? Anybody have anymore information on that? I'd love to see how it would have been organized.

I have to wonder if it would be easier to ADA Boylston by resurrecting the ancient plans to connect Park and Boylston as one gigantic superstition.

That would work, but you'd be 'superstitious' to believe it would happen :)

That was the plan at one point? Anybody have anymore information on that? I'd love to see how it would have been organized.

I think I saw it in one of Van's photos. Hold on…

Yeah, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/346214500/sizes/o/in/set-72157594460286528/

Looooooong platform between Park and Boylston Streets. But in combination with an additional tunnel.

In my brief search, I also pulled these up, and they're pretty cool too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/346213873/sizes/o/in/set-72157594460286528/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/346213605/sizes/o/in/set-72157594460286528/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/2765972105/sizes/o/in/set-72157594460286528/

As soon as trains exit Park St (heading towards Kenmore) they should turn 45 degrees to the southwest, and then turn another 45 degrees to the west when it reaches Boylston Street/Arlington Station.

That might require digging under the Central Burying Ground, which is over 250 years old. Also, Boylston station really is useful where it is now.

Smoothing out the Boylston curve shouldn't require a full-on bypass project, which is likely a non-starter anyway because of the burial grounds.

Also, if the fabled F-Line to Dudley ever actually happens, Boylston suddenly becomes far more important as a transfer point from eastbound/northbound B/C/D/E trains to southbound F trains, and making it an F-Line stop only would probably wreak havoc on Park Street.

(Even today, you can pick up the bus to Dudley outside of Boylston - although if you ask me, you're better off heading to Tufts Medical instead.)

Smoothing out the Boylston curve shouldn't require a full-on bypass project, which is likely a non-starter anyway because of the burial grounds.

Also, if the fabled F-Line to Dudley ever actually happens, Boylston suddenly becomes far more important as a transfer point from eastbound/northbound B/C/D/E trains to southbound F trains, and making it an F-Line stop only would probably wreak havoc on Park Street.

(Even today, you can pick up the bus to Dudley outside of Boylston - although if you ask me, you're better off heading to Tufts Medical instead.)

Exactly. Back when there were South End branches, Boylston served a critical load-balancing function with Park and facilitated easy IB/OB transfers to those branches. This was more or less station #3 of a holy trinity of consecutive transfer stations back in its day.

So I missed this letter: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...es-priority/gTFffOtZbx15XGfpDx3eBI/story.html

CONTRARY TO “Quick fixes for MBTA buses: Let buses trip green lights” (Editorial, Jan. 26), the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and the City of Boston have been working together to improve transit travel times on Boston’s streets. In fact, improving transit times has been a priority and has contributed to increased T ridership.

To say that the city “balked” at pursuing bus-priority signalization is incorrect. For example, bus priority is a component of a traffic signal modernization project along Blue Hill Avenue and Warren Street. Bus Route 28 runs here, and service will be improved when the project is completed.

The following is a sample of partnerships between the MBTA and the Boston Transportation Department aimed at enhancing transit service:

■ Silver Line service on Washington and Essex streets has been improved by painting bus lanes and using signal priority.

■ The T’s Key Bus Routes program focuses on high-ridership routes and includes Route 28. Times are reduced by relocating or eliminating stops, and designing curb extensions, queue jump lanes, and priority signals.

■ We are working with Roxbury residents to improve bus access to Dudley Station and to design exclusive bus lanes for Melnea Cass Boulevard.

■ Priority signals are being installed for the Green Line along Commonwealth Avenue.

The city’s traffic management center and the T’s bus operations center are now connected to better coordinate signals. This, coupled with GPS on T buses, sets the stage for further improvements to bus travel in Boston.

Thomas J. Tinlin

Commissioner

Transportation Department

Beverly Scott

General manager, MBTA

Boston

Is this for real?

Bullshit. Silver Line buses are still getting stuck at traffic lights up and down Washington Street, the Essex Street bus lane is still open to general traffic all day every day "during construction," and the Washington Street bus lane is still zero-risk double parking.

Oh, no, wait, I'm sorry, the letter specifically mentions "when the projects are completed." My bad! So, pray tell, when's the current project completion date? Anyone? Bueller?

Bullshit. Silver Line buses are still getting stuck at traffic lights up and down Washington Street, the Essex Street bus lane is still open to general traffic all day every day "during construction," and the Washington Street bus lane is still zero-risk double parking.

Oh, no, wait, I'm sorry, the letter specifically mentions "when the projects are completed." My bad! So, pray tell, when's the current project completion date? Anyone? Bueller?

Coming Summer 2007

How about the wonderful signal at D Street for the Silver Line?

Back