MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

How old was this article? There are 13 unaccepteds left either waiting at the factory, in-transit, or sitting in the testing line. Out of 40 units total. They've plowed through 40% of the acceptances in 3-1/2 months, and are 1 accepted unit away from the 70% mark on this order. They might be done before Labor Day at this pace, which is more than you can say for the Rotem refugee camp in Rhode Island. They have already achieved full replacement numbers for retirement of the F40PH Screamers and all other wreck victims and early retirements from the last 22 years combined, have knocked out the first GP40MC retirement, and are now sizing up the strongest and weakest of the remaining Geeps to see which 12-15 units stay and which 8-12 go.

Old news. Months old news. And no longer the least bit accurate news.

While they have continued accepting HSPs, the number actually on trains each day has been considerably lower than the number accepted and "active". Remember, the netransit snapshot of locomotive assignments includes units out for inspections or minor repairs, the number actually on trains is lower. Of the 27 accepted to date, on Wednesday the 10th, 3 were working northside trains (2024, 2026, and 2033) while 12 were on south side trains (2001, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2021, 2027, 2031, 2032, 2034, and 2037). The other 12 active units were either at the P&W for repairs covered by warranty or at BET for inspections or minor repairs. On Tuesday, they were actually short a loco on the south side and had no spare set.
Part of the problem has been Keolis keeping up with inspections and training. This is the quote from the Globe article on Tuesday:

"Only 23 of the 40 locomotives are in service. But because the locomotives have components that are new, complex, and unfamiliar to employees, required inspections are taking longer, according to T spokesman Joe Pesaturo.

In some cases, the older power cables that connect the locomotive to the coaches caused electrical problems that workers were encountering “several times a week,” Pesaturo said."

The Rotem mods have been moving along as planned, 47 are done and in service, 14 are in Rhode Island, and 14 more (12 in service, 2 out of service) remain to go through the mods. There are only two 1800s in service (1811 and 1827) that haven't been through the mods yet.

How old was this article? There are 13 unaccepteds left either waiting at the factory, in-transit, or sitting in the testing line. Out of 40 units total. They've plowed through 40% of the acceptances in 3-1/2 months, and are 1 accepted unit away from the 70% mark on this order. They might be done before Labor Day at this pace, which is more than you can say for the Rotem refugee camp in Rhode Island. They have already achieved full replacement numbers for retirement of the F40PH Screamers and all other wreck victims and early retirements from the last 22 years combined, have knocked out the first GP40MC retirement, and are now sizing up the strongest and weakest of the remaining Geeps to see which 12-15 units stay and which 8-12 go.

Old news. Months old news. And no longer the least bit accurate news.

Give me a break.

Not my falt that I didn't know about it.

Every damn time that I post something, you guys want to ride my back by saying that it's old news! Geez! Arrest me. :eek:

Give me a break.

Not my falt that I didn't know about it.

Every damn time that I post something, you guys want to ride my back by saying that it's old news! Geez! Arrest me. :eek:

You're posting things intended to incite panic from months-old events, reinterpreting with implausible truthiness the timeline on published news stories (i.e. this week's Globe takedown on Keolis) to stretch past-tense events into present- and future-, and passing off conjecture like. . .

Gov. Charlie Baker is none too please as well. He feels that commuters are being screwed over again, and wants to get the ball rolling on getting the new locos off dead tracks and into revenue service where they belong! :eek:
. . .as news when there is no actual verifiable statement from the governor on that matter.

THAT'S what spreading misinformation is. Yes, you are going to your back ridden on that. Many, many other places in life than just an internet forum. And it makes no difference whether it intentional or you just spazzed out and spoke too quickly without reading all the way...that's your responsibility to double-check before pulling a ":eek:".

You're posting things intended to incite panic from months-old events, reinterpreting with implausible truthiness the timeline on published news stories (i.e. this week's Globe takedown on Keolis) to stretch past-tense events into present- and future-, and passing off conjecture like. . .

. . .as news when there is no actual verifiable statement from the governor on that matter.

THAT'S what spreading misinformation is. Yes, you are going to your back ridden on that. Many, many other places in life than just an internet forum. And it makes no difference whether it intentional or you just spazzed out and spoke too quickly without reading all the way...that's your responsibility to double-check before pulling a ":eek:".

*APPLAUSE*

+1. Well said F-Line!

This is a crazy solution:
But I would like to see the MBTA completely cleaned out restructure, Convert Pensions to 401K--to the future employees like the private sector not sure on healthcare.

How to pay for a complete overhaul and expansion along with massive car upgrades for the MBTA.

increase extra state tax on Gasoline-- $1.00 state tax to help pay for the MBTA infrastructure along with making the system more clean and super efficient.
Colleges need to also contribute to a TRANSIT TAX--

This could also keep people from driving everywhere and forcing more people to have faith in transit.

As a MASS Resident and I drive a lot but I would love the city and state to focus on TRANSIT now at all costs. If I had one wish it would be for NO MORE TRAFFIC. It makes life less stressful.

Let's review, shall we, what started this:

This is false. You are ":eek:"-ing a falsehood.

This is false. The problem was discovered after delivery, and it was fixed with motor change-outs. As mentioned, this motor has been in active use and active production as replacement parts for over 20 years without a hiccup on Amtrak and Metro North trains that take a harder daily pounding than the T's. Please explain how a "shit happens" event like a third-party supplier screwing up...then everyone up the chain getting notice and implementing their action plan...is a planning indictment. Or indictment of the bid process. Clearly they didn't pick a cheap component based on the success Amtrak and Metro North have had with the same...exact...verbatim motor.

This is incorrect. Locomotive fleet availability is at its high point for the year, and high point for several years. Because the HSP-46's have now officially displaced the Screamers which could not make it through a single service day half the time without breaking down and sucking up so much of the shop's resources that they almost couldn't function tending to other equipment.

And if that weren't enough, they've got the 7 lease units as backup for the backup now.

Where did he say that? Can you please link to this source you read "yesterday" that has these quotes. Not the quotes from his commission about the past-tense meltdown of 3 months ago. Not the quotes giving the postmortem about what happened 3 months ago. The not-old-news quotes. The new-news quotes. The ones that say we're ":eek:" for the summer.

What does this have to do with low-bidder? I have no fucking idea. Sometimes...yes, sometimes...the manufacturers that know what the hell they're doing can deliver a more efficient bid than the Rotems and Bredas of the world who end up lighting money on fire throwing darts at a board. And the locomotive market has so much hegemony on what systems are actually underneath the hood on half the makes out there (e.g GE GE GE GE GE GE) it generally takes rank incompetence on software coding to snatch defeat from jaws of off-shelf victory (and, yes, they were previously burned bad by that with the FrankenGP40's and their computer-control hacks that never worked right).

You kind of need to start substantiating this stuff after umpteenth appearance of the ":eek:" chicken little act in these threads. Scaremongering about old news as if it's new news ain't a real responsible thing to do. You can most definitely feel welcome to pose a scenario about a known vulnerability for discussion's sake. That is, after all, what we do here. But these "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" overreactions about stuff you can't even remember where you heard it from serves no productive purpose.

You seem to have a Band-Aid for everything. Watch the news like I do. I'm done arguing with you & your devil's advocacy! :eek:

Last edited:

You're dillusional. I'm done arguing with you. Think what you want to. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks.
Yes I DID see him being interviewed & responding to the situation.

Anyone who just flatly refuses to believe me, then that is THEIR problem, not mine. :cool:

Huh? Winston just corroborated what F-Line was saying...

I'm ignoring F-Line & Wormtown.
Had it with them.

They are so damn ungrateful! They can go kick rocks! :mad:

Last edited:
I'm ignoring F-Line & Wormtown.
Had it with them. They can go kick rocks! :mad:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All I did was agree with F-Line when he basically said you were stirring up sh*t by bringing up old news and calling it new. Because of that, you're telling F-Line and myself to kick rocks?

I don't post often in here simply because I don't feel I'm qualified on subjects that F-Line and others here can go into great detail on. I mainly come here to read and prove there's still intelligent life out in the "Heart of the Commonwealth." I don't go fear-mongering on here - I come here for the rational, intelligent conversations.

I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who thinks this, but allow me to express this in a very easy way for you.

GO_Transit_logo.svg_.png

one-pound-weight-25200358.jpg

HK_Cheung_Chau_Tung_Wan_Beach_Sand_2.JPG

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on the MBTA's recovery.

Work to winterize the Orange Line is beginning tonight.

MBTA to start work on Winter Resiliency Plan with Orange Line on Monday

BOSTON – On Monday, work will begin to keep the Orange Line from failing during the winter months, like the whole MBTA system did several times due to numerous major storms last winter.

Shuttle buses will replace the trains in both directions starting at 8:45 p.m. to the end of service on 18 upcoming nights.

The buses will run between Wellington and Oak Grove Stations and they are accessible to people with disabilities.

Basically every weeknight for the next 3.5 weeks. I wonder if they are doing anything other than replacing/updating the third-rail/switch heaters. Anybody know?

Haha. I mean, for people in the know, does this amount to anything other than delayed routine maintenance?

Haha. I mean, for people in the know, does this amount to anything other than delayed routine maintenance?

If anything, they are now accelerating a program that was in place. Most of the third-rail heaters being installed were ordered before this winter.

Back