McCormack Housing Complex Redo | Old Colony Avenue | South Boston

odurandina

Reaction score
map https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...dad050ae4763f1!8m2!3d42.3295228!4d-71.0526597

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...development/2tsdvHxfSoFKqKa79FdL3O/story.html

High interest in Southie housing complex redevelopment

Developers are lining up for the chance to remake one of Boston’s biggest and best-located public housing complexes.

By Tim Logan Globe Staff May 04, 2017

Five prominent builders filed proposals with the Boston Housing Authority to redevelop the 27-acre Mary Ellen McCormack complex on Old Colony Avenue in South Boston.

It’s the strongest response yet to the authority’s ambitious campaign to get private developers to shoulder the cost of renovating aging public housing, in exchange for building market-rate units on the grounds. Administrator Bill McGonagle attributed the strong response largely to the McCormack’s location — walkable to two Red Line stops and across from Moakley Park and Carson Beach.

“McCormack sits on a valuable piece of real estate and it’s a very viable development location,” said Bill McGonagle. “We’re pleased that we got very confident, credible developers who are interested in it.”

By contrast, a similar request to rebuild the Mildred C. Hailey Apartments in Jamaica Plain drew only one team of bidders in April; McGonagle said the location of that complex isn’t as ideal as McCormack, and only a limited portion of the grounds was available for redevelopment.

All five bidders for the McCormack job have experience in the affordable housing business. They are: a partnership between Beacon Communities and National Development; Joseph J. Corcoran Co.; Trinity Development; Winn Companies; and a joint venture of Philadelphia-based Pennrose and Hunt Cos., of Texas.

The winning bidder has to replace the 79-year-old complex’s 1,016 units of low-income housing, and will get the right to build market-rate housing — and perhaps commercial space — on the rest of the site. Development plans will need to be approved by the Boston Planning & Development Agency and any project would likely be built in phases over a decade.

The authority’s goal is to replace its aging housing stock with very little public money. The first such effort is underway in Charlestown, where a group led by Corcoran won development rights in 2015 with a $1 billion plan to put about 2,100 market-rate housing units among 1,100 low-income apartments at the Bunker Hill development.

That plan is being reviewed by the BPDA, where it’s facing pushback from some Charlestown neighbors concerned about its sheer size and traffic impacts. At least one bidder for McCormack said the Charlestown experience helped persuade them to submit a more modest proposal for the South Boston complex.

“That’s one reason we’re proposing what we’re proposing,” said Matt Zahler, project manager at Trinity Financial, which would refurbish most of the McCormack apartments in existing brick buildings and add 48 units in new buildings at the edge of the complex. “We think this is just a more straightforward solution.”

Corcoran, though, sees the Charlestown project as a template for what it can do in South Boston. At McCormack, it proposed a similar-sized complex of about 3,000 apartments — one-third low-income, two-thirds market rate — in new five- or six-story buildings. The economic model works, said Joe Corcoran, who’s leading the project.

Winn Companies, another major affordable housing developer in Boston, is pitching a project of similar scale: 3,139 units, with retail space, supermarket, and perhaps a library. Some of the housing would be aimed at middle-income workers, some at senior citizens.

“Our proposal is ambitious but realistic,” said chief executive Gilbert Winn. “We envision a first-in-the-nation, true mixed-income neighborhood.”

Beacon, which is renovating the neighboring Old Colony complex for the BHA, was unable to comment Wednesday. Pennrose, which builds multifamily housing along the East Coast, did not return a message seeking comment. Their proposals were not immediately available.

‘McCormack sits on a valuable piece of real estate and it’s a very viable development location.’

The Housing Authority, with the help of a tenant group, expects to select a developer in the next two or three months, McGonagle said.

Tim Logan can be reached at tim.logan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @bytimlogan.

History

http://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/MA-01-SB23

Mary Ellen McCormack Development (Old Harbor Village)

1938, The Seventeen Associated Architects. 354 Old Colony Ave.

The earliest of the twenty-five public housing projects constructed in Boston between 1938 and 1954, Old Colony Village retains many of the virtues boasted by early housing activists, with low-rise buildings and treed courtyards supposedly bringing suburban advantages to low-income city dwellers.

The result of a long contentious period of development, Old Harbor Village was originally intended as a slum clearance project for nearby land. When public outcry over the use of eminent domain and the fair price for the real estate stalled the initial project, it was moved to this vacant site.

The complex provides 1,106 apartments, mostly in three- or four-story brick buildings, relieved by limestone band courses between the first two levels and by balconies ornamented with crossed anchors and stars. Farther from the exterior roads, 152 row houses were designed to evoke a New England coastal village, with differentiated doorways and porches fronting landscaped quadrangles or streets.

These units initially provided highquality housing to a group of politically well-connected, nearly poor South Bostonians. In 1961, the city council renamed the project to honor the mother of Congressman John W. McCormack, Speaker of the House of Representatives and a South Boston native. The original clearance site became the Old Colony Housing Development (265 E. 9th Street), designed by Henry and Richards in 1940 in a more Spartan manner—three-story brick, flat-roofed boxes (relieved now by mature street trees)—characteristic of Boston Housing Authority complexes of its generation.

Last edited:
This seems like a better place (as compared with Charlestown) for a 3000 unit redevelop due to proximity to Red Line/93/Commuter Rail @ JFK.

These redevelopment projects across the city's housing stock are some of the coolest developments going on. They will change the city in meaningful ways and vastly (hopefully) improve the neighborhoods they're going into. Obviously there's lots of politics involved too, but redeveloping sites like this one and Jamaica Plain's and Charlestown's will go a long way and keep some housing affordable in the process. It also has the potential to undo the mistakes of the past. Much more of a game-changer than any tall tower on a vacant lot downtown.

These redevelopment projects across the city's housing stock are some of the coolest developments going on. They will change the city in meaningful ways and vastly (hopefully) improve the neighborhoods they're going into. Obviously there's lots of politics involved too, but redeveloping sites like this one and Jamaica Plain's and Charlestown's will go a long way and keep some housing affordable in the process. It also has the potential to undo the mistakes of the past. Much more of a game-changer than any tall tower on a vacant lot downtown.

I too share your excitement.

I think the slice of land between Mass Ave and Melnea has a lot of opportunity in this regard. Also the Mission Hill area close to Wentworth.

We have the Columbia Point project to thank for proving that it's possible to mix affordable/public housing in a way that doesn't stink.

This development, if done right, would be great. Harbor point was a great example, and it seems like Corocan wants to keep up the good work.

I only hope that they don't get rid of any affordable units, and I'd like if they added more.

This development, if done right, would be great. Harbor point was a great example, and it seems like Corocan wants to keep up the good work.

I only hope that they don't get rid of any affordable units, and I'd like if they added more.

I am pretty sure these re-development opportunities are specified as at minimum neutral in terms of the number of affordable units (same number at least).

Do you really think there is a market for this? Who is going to live in the non low income housing? Are they targeting millennials or families? I understand the current low income component, but I don't understand the market for others to live there.

I am pretty sure these re-development opportunities are specified as at minimum neutral in terms of the number of affordable units (same number at least).
this is the question Ive always had with these project. People need to realize there are 3 different levels of housing; market rate, BPDA affordable, and BHA.
All of these projects are required to have a net wash in BHA units (1 for 1 replacement). Thats different from BPDA 'affordable' though. Do the market rate units carry the same inclusionary policy (BPDA affordable) as a typical development or is that washed out by recreating so many BHA units?
If there arent any inclusionary units (typically 13% of market rate units) than these developments dont actually create any middle class housing at all. thats not a judgement or an opinion of the projects merit, just a statement.

as for who would live in these buidlings, people are already paying big bucks to live directly across the street from the existing BHA sites (in SB and Charlestown we're talking easily over $500/SF). so whats the deduction of 'market rate' to be in the building instead of across the street (10%? 20%?). Its still a pretty large cost.
So is there a market? Plenty of people who make a lot of money on these things (including multiple teams on this site and the Charlestown site responding the BHA RFPs) seem to think so.

Do you really think there is a market for this? Who is going to live in the non low income housing? Are they targeting millennials or families? I understand the current low income component, but I don't understand the market for others to live there.

Same people who were attracted to the market rate units in Columbia Point. Units near Carson Beach and the Red Line, at prices like inland away from the T.

this is the question Ive always had with these project. People need to realize there are 3 different levels of housing; market rate, BPDA affordable, and BHA.
All of these projects are required to have a net wash in BHA units (1 for 1 replacement). Thats different from BPDA 'affordable' though. Do the market rate units carry the same inclusionary policy (BPDA affordable) as a typical development or is that washed out by recreating so many BHA units?
If there arent any inclusionary units (typically 13% of market rate units) than these developments dont actually create any middle class housing at all. thats not a judgement or an opinion of the projects merit, just a statement.

That's an interesting question. Best I can tell from the PNF on Bunker Hill, the 1100 apartments take care of the affordable rental. But the condos (there are 600 planned) are subject to IDP. So 13 percent of those will be affordable at 80 or 100% AMI.
See pg. 44.
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/72cfdcbd-dbee-4cf2-bc62-bd4921c4276f

South Boston is a very popular neighborhood to live in. These apartments are close to a massive waterfront network of parks, and within walking distance of the Red Line. It's an excellent location for a successful development targeted to any economic bracket. The fact that they're going for a mix makes it all the better.

Having lived there for years and talking to others, most laughed at the prospect of living in that complex while they could pay equivalent or less dollars to live in a house in Southie or elsewhere. Not saying there isn't a market, but I don't expect people to be lining up to live there.

i'll keep an open mind – that by the time the first mixed income towers go up, more people will be excited to locate here.

But falcon, I think the idea is that everything would be demolished and totally rebuilt… I would think that would change things quite a bit in terms of marketability.

"Winn has proposed replacing the 1,016 federally subsidized rental units on a one-for-one basis, consolidating the 27 three-story brick buildings in the complex into about a half-dozen six-story buildings."

Looks like the 5 over 1 bs continues to be all the rage in Boston nowadays.

"Winn has proposed replacing the 1,016 federally subsidized rental units on a one-for-one basis, consolidating the 27 three-story brick buildings in the complex into about a half-dozen six-story buildings."

Looks like the 5 over 1 bs continues to be all the rage in Boston nowadays.
Some news on this one:

Back