Megabus of Hotels, Yotel, to open in NYC

jass

Reaction score
THIS is what Boston needs.

Our city is full of hotels charging $300+ a night, but nothing for people who aren't crazy. Instead of giving away our money to build another luxury hotel by the convention center, how about something for us commoners?

---

PRN3-YOTEL-NEW-YORK-1yScreenres-thumb-350x181-38183.jpg

If you're planning a trip this summer to New York and are on a budget you are in luck. UK-based Yotel plans to open its first US location in June in Times Square.

Never heard of it? Think Megabus or BoltBus of lodging. The chain specializes in rooms that are stylish, but smaller and at a lower cost. And the WiFi is free. The New York hotel on West 42d Street and 10th Ave. will be full service and will feature 669 rooms.

In an interview with USA Today, chief executive Gerard Greene revealed that the company will offer New York travelers introductory rates as low as $149, and even lower ones for those who sign up on Facebook. Continental breakfasts will be free, and there will be gratis coffee stations on each floor.

Greene said that rooms will be about 170 square feet, not all that small by New York standards. "The Hudsons, Paramounts of New York and even the Sheraton near Times Square -- some of those rooms are only 100 or 200 square feet,'' he said, adding that design features will ensure the rooms don't feel cramped. "The way [rooms have] been designed with lots of mirrors and glass, windows, clever storage and mechanical beds that fold away makes them feel larger than they are.''
http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2011/04/yotel_to_open_i.html?p1=Upbox_links

Note that $149 isnt that cheap either, although it is on the cheap side for NYC.

A similar 600 room hotel in Boston could easily offer $129 a night.

While I agree 100% with you, it is important to shop around the various travel sites. I stayed at the W new york for $120/nt off priceline.

Cool concept, I wonder why more US chains haven't done something like this? I wonder if Yotel has a parent company. If not, Mr. Marriott, I'm looking at you.

Back