Metacomet Center | Veterans Memorial Parkway | East Providence

Reaction score
The Marshall Company has come out with another development plan for the former Metacomet Golf Club property in East Providence that would have 890 new residences and 153,000 sf of retail space which would include a supermarket and bank. The future use of the site has been a controversial topic for the last several years in the town. The property for some 100 years was an 18 hole golf course designed by the legendary Donald Ross. The club fell into debt and was purchased in 2019 by a group that included RI native and former PGA pro Brad Faxon who announced that they would invest millions into improvements and continue to operate it as a golf course. They however abandoned those plans just a year later and sold the property to the local Marshall Company which does construction development. Ever since that time, many residents of EP have banded together to oppose its development. Marshall has in turn made many changes to its original plans which at one time also included a hotel.

The valuable property on the Parkway across from the East Bay Bike path and the river just a mile from Providence is visible in the bottom right corner of this map:

1704812616399.png

Basically a parking lot unfortunately. I don't get (don't understand) the way proposals like this use the land... like, I love a four story apartment complex but what's the point in terms of density if it's surrounded by a sea of asphalt. You might get as many units of cottage-styled apartments with parking.

Huge opportunity here - I hope it's reworked significantly.

It should be noted that the proposed Metacomet Center would be just a short distance north on the Parkway from the Kettle Point Development by Churchill Banks that was built in the last decade. Kettle Point is a 49 acre mixed use development on a former petroleum tank farm site. It has 290 housing units distributed in both apartments and townhouse condos along with a five story medical office building that contains University Orthopedics.

Kettle Point in the forefront with the Metacomet site in the top right background (the green space former golf course).
1705331505101.jpeg

Last edited:

Back