MGM Music Hall (née Fenway Theater) | 12 Lansdowne St | Fenway

4/29/21
IMG_6352.JPG
IMG_6353.JPG
IMG_6363.JPG

The places in the seaport and kendall arent going to be where you see up and coming allston kids who make it big and you get to brag about it later type places

THIs will be more like what you're talking about - - slightly smaller venue, local and plugged in ownership (more than FSG/MGM Live Nation)and actually in Allston/Brighton!

"Bostonians who have longed for live music over the past year have something new to look forward to: An indoor music venue capable of hosting as many as 3,500 people is set to open in the spring of 2022 in the fast-growing Allston-Brighton neighborhood.

Roadrunner, named for the classic rock ‘n’ roll song by the Modern Lovers inspired by local roadways, is now under construction at Boston Landing, adjacent to the state-of-the-art sports arena called the TRACK at new balance, which is scheduled to open in the fall. Roadrunner will be the latest Boston venue for The Bowery Presents, the concert promoters that own and operate The Sinclair in Harvard Square and operate Royale in Boston’s Theater District......"

THIs will be more like what you're talking about - - slightly smaller venue, local and plugged in ownership (more than FSG/MGM Live Nation)and actually in Allston/Brighton!

"Bostonians who have longed for live music over the past year have something new to look forward to: An indoor music venue capable of hosting as many as 3,500 people is set to open in the spring of 2022 in the fast-growing Allston-Brighton neighborhood.

Roadrunner, named for the classic rock ‘n’ roll song by the Modern Lovers inspired by local roadways, is now under construction at Boston Landing, adjacent to the state-of-the-art sports arena called the TRACK at new balance, which is scheduled to open in the fall. Roadrunner will be the latest Boston venue for The Bowery Presents, the concert promoters that own and operate The Sinclair in Harvard Square and operate Royale in Boston’s Theater District......"
I always worry when I see multiple similar venues opening at the same time that somewhere there is a market research firm that sold a number of promoters the same research report identifying the need for a 3,000 to 5,000 seat live music venue in Boston. The problem is the data supported the need for one venue, not 3 or more....

I always worry when I see multiple similar venues opening at the same time that somewhere there is a market research firm that sold a number of promoters the same research report identifying the need for a 3,000 to 5,000 seat live music venue in Boston. The problem is the data supported the need for one venue, not 3 or more....

I hear ya, but how many hipster scientists/engineers are moving to Boston? How many new apartments/residences are going up in Allston/Brighton?

I think we are dealing with a moving puck, in this instance.

Last edited:
Took some more on my way into work...
View attachment 12940

I see the new green structure that mirrors the current signage with sits atop the Right Field Bleachers - Does anyone have any information or renderings about the intergration of the ballpark (mainly the right field portion) and the venue itself?

Roughly the same, but a lot more lucrative for both...

Lol, heres the zoom in case ppl are actually having difficulty seeing.

Yeah, I saw that too, and I like it! (the one part of my wife's People Magazine that I like - that 'Note 5 differences between these two versions of the same photo thing').

Enclose the space a little more and it holds in more of the accoustics. Something I've been railing about regarding Gillette Stadium, which is far quieter than most wrapped around NFL stadiums. I really don't know why some owners don't max the footage of their stadiums - it hits several aesthetic and economic birds with one stone.

Yeah, I saw that too, and I like it! (the one part of my wife's People Magazine that I like - that 'Note 5 differences between these two versions of the same photo thing').

Enclose the space a little more and it holds in more of the acoustics. Something I've been railing about regarding Gillette Stadium, which is far quieter than most wrapped around NFL stadiums. I really don't know why some owners don't max the footage of their stadiums - it hits several aesthetic and economic birds with one stone.
Reminder that the project includes the net loss of 139 seats in Fenway Park. Plans originally called for removing 6 rows (-450 seats) of the upper bleachers and replacing them with 160 table and bar seats. Final plans remove 3 rows of upper bleacher seats (-279 seats) and replace them with 140 drink rail and dedicated standing room spots. This is something we all bickered over when this project was going through the approval process.

We saw a similar change at Gillette about five years ago when seating capacity decreased by net 1,000+ with the "addition" of the "Optum Field Lounge" in place of more than 2,000 seats.

Stadium owners are in the revenue and profit maximizing game, and often this can be achieved by removing seats and replacing them with fewer but more expensive amenities. At Fenway, this means removing a good chunk of what are literally the cheapest seats in the Park. This is good for the owners' bottom line, but I don't think it's a win for the average Sox fan.

I consider this project a big win for The Fenway and the for the city at large, but a slight loss for Fenway Park itself.

Reminder that the project includes the net loss of 139 seats in Fenway Park. Plans originally called for removing 6 rows (-450 seats) of the upper bleachers and replacing them with 160 table and bar seats. Final plans remove 3 rows of upper bleacher seats (-279 seats) and replace them with 140 drink rail and dedicated standing room spots. This is something we all bickered over when this project was going through the approval process.

We saw a similar change at Gillette about five years ago when seating capacity decreased by net 1,000+ with the "addition" of the "Optum Field Lounge" in place of more than 2,000 seats.

Stadium owners are in the revenue and profit maximizing game, and often this can be achieved by removing seats and replacing them with fewer but more expensive amenities. At Fenway, this means removing a good chunk of what are literally the cheapest seats in the Park. This is good for the owners' bottom line, but I don't think it's a win for the average Sox fan.

I consider this project a big win for The Fenway and the for the city at large, but a slight loss for Fenway Park itself.

Yup - - more revenue and louder accoutics. By contrast, because it is at field level, the Gillette endzone country club lawn does nothing for crowd noise.

And yes, I will mourn those lost top of the bleacher seats. I'm told I spent alot of my 1970's there.

Last edited:

Back