MGM Music Hall (née Fenway Theater) | 12 Lansdowne St | Fenway

Heres some closer shots

Model%20View%20current.JPG

u7Ahf5L.jpg

^ Stick, your third screen grab with the tables was an earlier proposal that was not ultimately approved. There won't be any tables here, and three rows (rather than 6 rows) of seats will be removed.

I know but theres no updated render that shows that same angle and how it connects to the existing deck in right field with that upper and lower spectator bridge so I posted it. I should have labelled it, but the first 2 are the current layout.

Reminder that the project includes the net loss of 139 seats in Fenway Park. Plans originally called for removing 6 rows (-450 seats) of the upper bleachers and replacing them with 160 table and bar seats. Final plans remove 3 rows of upper bleacher seats (-279 seats) and replace them with 140 drink rail and dedicated standing room spots. This is something we all bickered over when this project was going through the approval process.

We saw a similar change at Gillette about five years ago when seating capacity decreased by net 1,000+ with the "addition" of the "Optum Field Lounge" in place of more than 2,000 seats.

Stadium owners are in the revenue and profit maximizing game, and often this can be achieved by removing seats and replacing them with fewer but more expensive amenities. At Fenway, this means removing a good chunk of what are literally the cheapest seats in the Park. This is good for the owners' bottom line, but I don't think it's a win for the average Sox fan.

I consider this project a big win for The Fenway and the for the city at large, but a slight loss for Fenway Park itself.

This is really not similar to Gillette's situation at all, as the standing room spots will almost certainly be cheaper than the bleacher seats they're replacing. You're concern-trolling over 139 seats in a ballpark that fits 38,000.

This is really not similar to Gillette's situation at all, as the standing room spots will almost certainly be cheaper than the bleacher seats they're replacing. You're concern-trolling over 139 seats in a ballpark that fits 38,000.
“Concern-trolling”? I’m just pointing out that capacity is going down as a result of these changes. There’s no “concern-trolling” in pointing out a real trade off—which it is—and y’all are free to think of it what you will. One doesn’t have to be 100% for or 100% against anything; life is about seeing and understanding the positives and negatives of anything. And I only bought up Gillette in response to shmessys’s reference to Gillette, anyway.

As I said in my comment, we all bickered about this a few years ago in this thread, and people legitimately came down on different sides of the trade off. That’s fine. The Red Sox ended up cutting the Upper Bleacher seat reduction by more than half (net -139 instead of net -290) and scrapping the table seating altogether in response to pushback on this through other real world channels, and that allayed much of the criticism on this board too. Good for them.

As for ticket price, we’ll see. For low-profile games, tickets for “Bar stool” spots on the RF roof currently run about $85, Upper Bleachers are about $26, and RF roof standing room are around $22. The “drink rail” tickets will probably be more than Upper Bleachers, while standing room will probably be less. I could definitely see average price of the new seats being more than Upper Bleachers, but my general point isn’t even as much about ticket price as it is capacity reduction.

Last edited:
No the SRO's are 100% going to be more expensive than the bleacher seats. Why else would they make the change?

I also agree with JumboBuc but it was obviously falling on deaf ears here so I piped down

No the SRO's are 100% going to be more expensive than the bleacher seats. Why else would they make the change?

I also agree with JumboBuc but it was obviously falling on deaf ears here so I piped down

They're building a private function space that will host everything from weddings to corporate retreats. THAT’S what’s going to make them money. They’re not making money off standing room tickets 530 feet from home plate.

They're building a private function space that will host everything from weddings to corporate retreats. THAT’S what’s going to make them money. They’re not making money off standing room tickets 530 feet from home plate.
Everything they do is designed to maximize profit, they didnt need to touch inside of fenway's walls if they didnt want to.... this is a larger trend in sports where they take away less profitable traditional seating and put in more expensive bar seating. Jacob's Field (whatever they call it now) has done it, Rockies stadium has done it. They recognize the trend is not to sell out completely so they try to boost revenue per seat as much as possible. Its 100% to maximize profit off the space inside Fenway, for Red Sox games. I promise you

They've also already done it inside Fenway now with the Tullamore Dew section.

As Buc alluded, its a combination of bar seats, tables and SRO's that will net them more profit, not just SRO's vs bleacher seats

Everything they do is designed to maximize profit, they didnt need to touch inside of fenway's walls if they didnt want to.... this is a larger trend in sports where they take away less profitable traditional seating and put in more expensive bar seating. Jacob's Field (whatever they call it now) has done it, Rockies stadium has done it. They recognize the trend is not to sell out completely so they try to boost revenue per seat as much as possible. Its 100% to maximize profit off the space inside Fenway, for Red Sox games. I promise you

They've also already done it inside Fenway now with the Tullamore Dew section.

As Buc alluded, its a combination of bar seats, tables and SRO's that will net them more profit, not just SRO's vs bleacher seats

Right. these SRO tickets are essentially a cover charge to a baseball themed bar with a view of the field. These ticket holders are much likely to spend more on concessions (particularly alcohol) than the fans sitting in the last row of the bleachers as they're generally looking for a different experience entirely.

That’s going to be PHENOMENAL. On the top level is that blue area glass and the “function space” or what am I looking at? Regardless - I think this might be one of my favorite renovations. On the bottom level you’ll now have open air concessions that don’t take you away from the game - and you’ll have open air SRO with the “bleacher experience” ... And on the top level I’m assuming that’s more premium priced SRO but with the bar top tables in front and all incorporated perfectly with the park

^ Stick, your third screen grab with the tables was an earlier proposal that was not ultimately approved. There won't be any tables here, and three rows (rather than 6 rows) of seats will be removed.

is it just me... I don’t see much of a difference between the second and third picture

Back