Mid-Century Mundane

Plen-T-Pak

Reaction score

I've often appreciated the types of everyday buildings featured on this blog. I always notice this building.

Anyone have local examples they'd like to share?

Last edited:
Jolly old Newton South High School, which, per Wikpedia, was built in 1960, so designed ca. 1958.

Though there's evidence of a recent fairly substantial face-lift/renovation if you wraparound the corner there, it is important not to confuse it with Newton "Taj Mahal" North High School, the renovation of which ended up costing the fair Garden City $197 million in 2010 dollars, or $247 million in today's money.

(Which suggests a fun parlor game: "for $247 million in 2021 dollars, the City of Newton could've simply X with those kids in perpetuity and practically guaranteed the same educational outcomes")

Also, I like 1075 Mass. Ave's interpretation of mid-century mundane, though others might disagree.

So I just drove by the building I posted and the pediment(?) above the door has been taken down. Must have be done recently.

I actually like this style when its mixed in with old and new stuff... that Po-mo abomination not included

Back