Middle East Nightclub Redevelopment | 468-480 Mass Ave / 6 Brookline St. | Cambridge

That's all true, but the IT revolution had another side effect: Small-time artists can have fan bases spread all over the country, in seemingly random places. When they tour, it's at places about the size of the Middle East Upstairs (194 ppl) or Sonia (~350 ppl), not MGM Music Hall (3,000 ppl) or Roadrunner (3,500 ppl). If we have a venue ecosystem slanted towards the latter, all we'll get are brand names -- fine if you're into that, but it definitely limits everyone's options in terms of out-of-town talent. I know I, personally, get a lot of enjoyment when a local act from one of the other cities I've lived in comes to town, even on a Tuesday night.
I think you've really hit on the issue. I have noticed in recent years that performers I used to enjoy seeing at smaller (now closed) clubs in Boston or Cambridge are hitting venues in Lowell, Lynn, etc., rather than coming to Boston when they tour. That is definitely what we lose when the smaller clubs disappear, and not something that is meaningfully replaced by youtube. At the same time, I think there is some promising movement in the right direction. I'm seeing a lot of micro venues start to pop up in outer neighborhoods. Coffee shops, pubs, etc., leveraging technology to make it possible to book performers, which used to require a deep connection with music promoters. These are definitely local acts, not touring acts, and the places are too small for anything more grand than that. But maybe the next size space will return, now that we are getting some good action at the micro level.

That's all true, but the IT revolution had another side effect: Small-time artists can have fan bases spread all over the country, in seemingly random places. When they tour, it's at places about the size of the Middle East Upstairs (194 ppl) or Sonia (~350 ppl), not MGM Music Hall (3,000 ppl) or Roadrunner (3,500 ppl). If we have a venue ecosystem slanted towards the latter, all we'll get are brand names -- fine if you're into that, but it definitely limits everyone's options in terms of out-of-town talent. I know I, personally, get a lot of enjoyment when a local act from one of the other cities I've lived in comes to town, even on a Tuesday night.

It feels like there's an analogue to the housing debate, here. One of the YIMBY crowd's most powerful ethical arguments is that restricted supply of low-barrier-to-entry (i.e. cheap, in the case of housing) is that it puts a straightjacket on people's potential via where they can work and what non-work things (arts, politics, community involvement, etc.) they are able to engage in because their time is sucked up commuting and their money is sucked up by housing.

Translated to the music world, that argument says small venues are important not because we want to regain some amorphous crown as the national seat of culture, but because so many people who already live here are being locked out of a chance to moonlight in a good mom band on Thursday nights at a local watering hole, even if they have no desire or ambition to get any bigger than that. It's a small-d democratic problem, under this line of thinking.

This isn't an argument for or against the Middle East being redeveloped, obviously, but it's certainly clear that a lot of municipalities in Boston don't seem to have much of a plan for encouraging more small live music venues.

Great points. Thank you!

Back