Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

If they're patios then shouldn't they be slathered with tons of trees, shrubs and everything green? Surely no self-respecting architect and/or rendering artist would pass up the opportunity!

that building looks as bland as anything Boston's ever put up.

Be fair, this is by far the nicest residential tower of the lot which are going up downtown. I found the W Hotel more bland and a JHT-rip off than this is.

Re: Filene's

1.jpg

For comparison.

I think the resemblance to the JHT is only due to the angle of the rendering which is done deliberately to make it look tall and dramatic.

Cautiously agree with kz1000, rendering gives me pause. Hopefully it's just a bad angle/drawing cuz my spidey "another blown design opportunity" sense is tingling. The massing model directly above looks more elegant.

This now looks exactly like a cross between One Exchange Place and the Hancock.

The original renderings showed an elegant, shard-like tower. This latest rendering is busy and awkward. It's also incredibly boring.

Well, if you're going to do a carbon copy of another tower in Boston, the Hancock is not the worst one to choose...

How many times can they announce the same g.damn news. And, to the media who are saying, "Construction on the new tower will begin," that's not accurate.

Last edited:

Too bad that when Boston gets a shot at making a "statement," this is the best we can do. Still, it fills a void...

It is a big improvement on the Vornado tower proposal and its saddlebags and cellulite thighs.

It is a big improvement on the Vornado tower proposal and its saddlebags and cellulite thighs.

The Vordano tower proposal just needed to be purged of the vinyl siding.

This appears to be more along the lines of "If you wrap anything in glass, it'll be fine."

This now looks exactly like a cross between One Exchange Place and the Hancock.

Two of my favorite towers in the city! Sure it's not the boldest of statements, but I'll gladly welcome the bastard child of The Hancock and Exchange Place into our skyline.

I'm especially pleased that they removed the awful gray top that had been in previous renders.

I'll take the gray top if the building would look like the render in the "Best Proposed Development" from 2012 thread.

Click on the pic to see more detail of the towers base.

millenniumtowerbase.jpg

Click on the pic to see more detail of the towers base.

The interaction between the historic facade and the new glass is poorly done. Reminds me of way the Exchange Place tower interacts with the old BSE facade which is my least favorite part of that building.

I don't care for that at all. The tower part is ok but the base looks like W Hotel 2.0

The interaction between the historic facade and the new glass is poorly done. Reminds me of way the Exchange Place tower interacts with the old BSE facade which is my least favorite part of that building.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I love the contrast of Exchange Place.

No, you're not alone. I'm with you.

Besides, how does one blend the old and new? To me, heavy contrast is what works best. You want the old and new to stick out. Otherwise, why save the old?

Leaving any exposed Filene's wall that was meant to abut another property is in poor taste. Contrast, yes. But this is too much.

The way the Washington Street facade looks almost like an Old West false front is horrible, too. And the awning is bleh.

I'll take it, but these little things could so easily be adjusted to work better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back