Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

This sounds about right. So now it can get postponed a week, then a month, then sometime in the fall, then spring of 2014... and the cycle of mediocrity continues.

Keep in mind, both this and the Copley Tower were supposed to be out of the ground by now. Fuck this shit. Something always goes wrong. "Soon" never becomes "now". We'll probably end up with 300 feet of pre-cast and spandrel.

In fairness, groundbreakings are largely ceremonial and are generally not connected to the actual work going on the site.

Hell, the Jacob Wirth site hasn't even had a groundbreaking, and they already have rebar installed for the foundations.

In fairness, groundbreakings are largely ceremonial and are generally not connected to the actual work going on the site.

Hell, the Jacob Wirth site hasn't even had a groundbreaking, and they already have rebar installed for the foundations.

Absolutely correct. The delay means nothing to the project. It won't affect the project schedule one iota (other than the short break in ongoing work at the site required for the ceremonial groundbreaking which will be delayed from June 4 to some other date a week or two later). Work began and will continue, barring an economic or other catastrophe over which the developer and the City have no control.

Walked around a bit in DTX today. If you walk down Winter Street and then look to your left at the intersection of Winter and Washington, you can see through the Burnham building to the hole on the other side.

Pretty amazing view and there was a ton of noise and activity at the site. I don't think a postponed groundbreaking is slowing anything down.

I like the Comcast tower but don't like what it did to the skyline. One Liberty Place now looks squat because of it.

Agreed; the only thing that will fix this is an even taller spire. I do like the way the Philly skyline crescendos, though.

There's plenty of cities in the middle east ("birthplace of civilization") that date back thousands of years before A/C.

But mostly in cooler, fertile river valleys or mountainous coastal regions where evaporating sea moisture is trapped by altitude. Not the Gulf.

In the "take it for whatever it is worth" category, I was just in Downtown Crossing and happened to find myself walking right next to a Suffolk employee who looked like a supervisor. I asked if they were doing the tower portion of the development at the same time or in stages and he told me that the current plan is to start work in earnest on the tower in November.

In the "take it for whatever it is worth" category, I was just in Downtown Crossing and happened to find myself walking right next to a Suffolk employee who looked like a supervisor. I asked if they were doing the tower portion of the development at the same time or in stages and he told me that the current plan is to start work in earnest on the tower in November.

Good job speaking up. A lesson for some of us.

Aren't they technically working on the tower? Can't have a tower without its foundation

This site is screaming for a 1000ft tower right in the heart of the city.

Fine, if it offends you so much then here's a shot of Philly's cluster. The point of the whole thing isn't about turning Boston into Dubai but the fact that towers can still look tall in cluster if you vary the height.

IMG_3218.JPG

The four towers in the middle still look tall even though it's next to each other.

IMHO, I think Boston's skyline is so much better than this. I wouldn't want any of those brutes in Boston. Have you been in Philadelphia where those buildings meet the street? It's not very inviting. Just the opposite.

IMHO, I think Boston's skyline is so much better than this. I wouldn't want any of those brutes in Boston. Have you been in Philadelphia where those buildings meet the street? It's not very inviting. Just the opposite.

Yes.

269439_2219349123669_2289436_n.jpg

269662_2219357763885_7285137_n.jpg

270959_2219390404701_8016027_n.jpg

264694_2219371404226_673604_n.jpg

And it's no different than what you find at the base of the John Hancock Tower.

265140_2219672691758_5568414_n.jpg

And the skyline is quite nice with those four, at least from where I was staying.

We're getting way off-topic, but I agree with the people criticizing Comcast Center as a skyline element. All the '80s PoMo towers have detail and a certain amount of finesse to their stylings that the minimalist CC totally lacks. Call it Philly Blunt.

We're getting way off-topic, but I agree with the people criticizing Comcast Center as a skyline element. All the '80s PoMo towers have detail and a certain amount of finesse to their stylings that the minimalist CC totally lacks. Call it Philly Blunt.

That's just how most building are being built today, including the Millennium Tower. Besides, any building trying to replicate '80s PoMo or Art Deco today are often labeled tacky, like those skyscrapers in Dubai.

Yes.

269439_2219349123669_2289436_n.jpg

269662_2219357763885_7285137_n.jpg

270959_2219390404701_8016027_n.jpg

264694_2219371404226_673604_n.jpg

And it's no different than what you find at the base of the John Hancock Tower.

265140_2219672691758_5568414_n.jpg

And the skyline is quite nice with those four, at least from where I was staying.

Humbly, I think you make my point for me. And I love Philadelphia. But I find myself drawn to the older neighborhoods. I am not picking a fight. I'm one opinion. I just hope Boston can do better with the few high-rise options it has left.

Humbly, I think you make my point for me. And I love Philadelphia. But I find myself drawn to the older neighborhoods. I am not picking a fight. I'm one opinion. I just hope Boston can do better with the few high-rise options it has left.

Not picking a fight. My whole discussion was that tall buildings can look tall regardless if the surrounding towers are similar in scale as long as the tower is actually tall. It's true that those base leaves a lot to desire but I tend to find these lack of inviting bases occurring where there are canyons (like Devonshire Street in Boston). The same thing happens there in Philly.

Center City Philadelphia has a 'traditional' street grid, not a meandering set of former cowpaths. Broad St, a straight as an arrow arterial, has eight traffic lanes. One can't shoehorn in tall towers near Downtown Crossing without creating claustrophobia.

Staples To Open Flagship Store In Downtown Boston

By James Cronin

Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

Office supply giant Staples will open a new two-story, flagship store in the former home of Newbury Comics near City Hall in Downtown Boston.

The Framingham-based retailer will occupy about half of One Washington Mall's first floor, shared by a Planet Fitness gym, and will take up the entire second floor as well.

Staples will close its 25 Court St. store to allow the new flagship to thrive near the seat of Boston's city government, according to industry sources that asked for anonymity. Commercial real estate executives said the new store could open as soon as this fall. It is still unclear what will replace the Court Street store. Company officials did not return repeated calls.

The new Staples store will be a boon to joint venture owners Saracen Properties and AEW Capital Management, which are looking to sell the building, according to industry experts.

The two firms purchased the 16-story property for $33.5 million in 2006. Since then, Saracen has overseen $3 million in capital improvements at the 156,000-square-foot building.

According to Saracen's website, One Washington was 60 percent occupied at the time of purchase. Since then, the capital investment has netted more than 45,000 square feet of absorption in new leases, making the property more than 80 percent occupied.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news155163.html

Plus we're already talking about Staples in another thread.

I'd love to hear his logic, I'm sure we would all appreciate a chuckle on this dreary day.

I think someone's got a

caseofthemondayscareers.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back