Re: Filene's

Lets look at the evolution:

First
1159527711_5571.jpg

Second
filenetower1ug8.jpg

Third
img_detail_franklin4.jpg

Yep, that's value engineering at its finest.

Yes, but we have yet to see design #4. The third one you posted is not the current proposal since it is an EXACT match to one posted a few months back when Hynes announced he would axe all residential and build a 32 instead of 39-story tower....aka. not what the current proposal calls for

Design #3...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx18.jpg

...awaiting Design #4

I'd like to see a grocer here, but how about an expanded Lambert's Marketplace instead of one of the big chains?

How about bringing back the MOM & PA style shops or something different ...........If I wanted Best Buy, Shaws, Apple Bees, Fridays, I would have moved to the Mid-West. Stripmall Central. Hopefully Boston does not lose its uniqueness and this is the vision from these CLOWNS.

Don't worry, nothing Boston can do could possibly be a big a f*ck up as good ol' Chesterfield Commons. Longest strip mall in the world. Such a shame.

Yeah, can't wait to see the new design-but I doubt it'll be anything too different. I liked the 3rd one best, anyhow.

Something like a Trader Joe's might work well...not a mega-market, wouldn't take up that much of it, would appeal to the demographic and probably attract more residential to the area.

Wholefoods is a more functional supermarket than TJ's, however on non sale days that's a fairly upscale demographic. A Super 88 could make things 'interesting' as well.

I think it is wishful thinking and rather unrealistic to suggest "mom and pop" operations or small local businesses taking a large portion of the retail space in this development. whether you like it or not (and many don't) the larger chains have the wherewithal to spend/borrow to move into a large development like this especially during these times. The best you can hope for are a few local places sprinkled in here and there.

I envision Pempe as a sort of edgy but bubbly Argentinian steak place with interesting martinis. Anyone else?

I think there's also a Puma outlet in that rendering.

The old Filene's had room for plenty of little food-oriented businesses around the edge (like Lambert's and Chacarero). That would be a nice thing to preserve in the new development.

It's great that the new proposal is being floated. I like the price tag a lot better, too. So, if Gale & Vornado can cut the cost of building almost 50%, can the developer at Columbus Center do the same thing? If so, dude, get to it.

I don't understand why everyone feels there is enough traffic to support a small grocer. I just don't see it. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just don't know.

Also include some more outdoor cafes. Hopefully the large amount of pigeons won't attack the patrons.

The site demands something big and iconic. I've heard rumors for years that the developers were trying to entice Harrod's, even ofering them a fifteen-year lease with the first ten years for free. If only this could really happen. Then you would really see the rebirth of New England's largest (by far) shopping district. (I can't tolerate calling it, "DTX".)

The 1970s Downtown Crossing moniker needs to die and One Franklin sure as hell isn't going to cut it as a landmark address. Why not call the central shopping district, The Hub?

John- I think the idea is that with influx of residents into the neighborhood at 45 Province, the proposed rental towner on Bromflield and the with the addition of the rental units at Filene's the area would be able to support a small grocer. But since 45P is only going to have about 30 units filled for the time being and the other two buildings don't exist yet I agree that for now the area probably can't support anything larger than Lambert's.

I think Harrod's would be the ultimate tenant for that space. I hadn't heard that rumor but I sure do hope it happens.

A grocer here would serve the entire North End, 'West End', Beacon Hill, and much of the South End -- not just downtown residents. Right now, the only supermarkets in the area are the Prudential Shaw's and the Whole Foods on Cambridge Street.

A Stop & Shop is planned for the Bulfinch Triangle but I think that project has also been delayed.

We do have the Super 88 and Ming's here in the South End. Although the selection and cleanliness leave something to be desired. It's much easier to go to the Prudential or drive down to South Bay at this point.

A different, slightly less optimistic version of this story in the Herald:

Hynes offers 4 Filene?s plans in bid for financing
By Thomas Grillo | Wednesday, May 6, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets
Photo
Photo by Matthew West

The developer of the stalled Filene?s project says he is willing to do almost anything to get the proposal off the ground.

?We have a hole in the ground, and we need to be flexible in finding a solution,? said John Hynes, the co-developer of One Franklin, the $550 million planned redevelopment of the Boston retail landmark.

At an Urban Land Institute forum this week, Hynes outlined four ideas to salvage the ambitious project that is expected to help revive the struggling downtown retail district.

In one scenario, the development team of Gale International and Vornado Realty Trust would build a 280-room hotel. A second plan would be an office tower with a hotel, while a third plan would be a residential skyscraper that would offer either condominiums or apartments, or a mix of the two. And a fourth concept would offer a combination of office, residential and hotel.

All of the plans would have three stories of retail including Filene?s Basement.

?None of these ideas has a prayer of getting financed now,? Hynes said. ?But eventually one of them will be, and we want to be ready with the right mix.?

In 2007, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved the 39-story mixed-use project that promised office, hotel, residential and retail space and a new home for the famed Filene?s Basement.

But last fall, construction was halted after the developers failed to get financing as the credit markets froze up. In December, Hynes proposed a downsized project, a 32-story office tower without the condominiums. But that plan had no better luck finding backers.

Since then, Downtown Crossing residents, merchants and Mayor Thomas M. Menino have complained that the project site has become an eyesore.

?Anything that can move this project will get our support,? said BRA director John Palmieri.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1170382

We do have the Super 88 and Ming's here in the South End. Although the selection and cleanliness leave something to be desired. It's much easier to go to the Prudential or drive down to South Bay at this point.

South End? I believe that Super 88 is already closed. The only remaining Super 88 I know that is still open is at BU.

There was a Globe article this morning where Hynes said that the new proposal was just him daydreaming out loud. I can't seem to find it right now. In any event, a 2011 completion date is VERY optimistic. I don't see this development complete until 2012 at the earliest and more likely 2013-2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back