Mission Hill Infill and Small Developments

4mFgzwuaJ6XUZFP7DO2XI9DxFe_6qdHY_TQnucwT_UbhyagytXE--KXgrDmLEBvdyelkFjNRlf-RonF46vN_EWftYaS20D2igO-6ScatwAUUyJHwmZUpsRNtYNp-yxZzK8jE3A0aeZ84f2b_Sic1nlY
Bulfinch has won approval for a redevelopment of 804-814 Huntington Avenue in Boston's Mission Hill neighborhood. The project calls for 58,373 SF of life science space and 23 units with 25,029 SF of multifamily space across two 3-story mixed-use buildings with 88,148 SF of floorspace.

https://www.bldup.com/posts/4-projects-advance-in-boston-including-mission-hill-lab

Wentworth Institute of Technology to Build New Athletic Field Facility
Wentworth-Athletic.png

BOSTONMassDevelopment has issued a $50 million tax-exempt bond on behalf of Wentworth Institute of Technology, which will use proceeds to fund the construction of a new athletic complex on Parker Street in Boston’s Mission Hill neighborhood. The complex will include a playing field built atop an approximately 50,000-square-foot single-story, partially below-grade parking structure containing approximately 330 parking spaces, as well as ancillary structures to house athletic support spaces. The school will also use bond proceeds to restore the exterior of two existing historical breweries located on the property. TD Bank purchased the bond.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/w...hnology-to-build-new-athletic-field-facility/

Oh my God. We're going to fill in the massive gap on Huntington created by the existing field, and get rid of a massive surface parking lot at the same time!?!?!

1) Why isn’t there a baseball diamond in that rendering?
2) That lot is a 3 minute walk to Roxbury Crossing. 1000 people could live there.
3) Just get rid of the soccer team altogether. Or buy them a patch of dirt in the burbs. Nobody on the Division III Wentworth Leopards is going pro.

^^I think its interesting they are stabilizing but not using the historic brewery buildings. It sounds like an expensive punt and 20 years from now they will just VE the soccer team or just buy them a bus.

Quick tour of some new construction:
813544E1-2A6E-4581-86E1-D33A869A0065.jpeg

96C73944-477A-49FF-8A03-9A9165B1DD29.jpeg
Didn‘t realize until looking it up that these two on Terrace St are meant to affordable artist’s condos- pretty cool. No idea if they’re open yet though
D3E852E1-C10F-40D4-9299-9146FBAC838E.jpeg

This one also on Terrace is luxury condos- 2 bed 2 bath on sale for almost a million dollars. Also has commercial space on the second floor which is interesting. Wish they would bury the power lines with all the residential development coming to Terrace St.
34AD56C7-FA76-4869-861D-F36F30AF0428.jpeg

F6D744A0-CA13-405C-A09D-9EC0CFBA2840.jpeg

I like the facade of this one on Burney St a lot- the entryway in particular is fun.
79FA4A46-8BEF-477C-8A47-4CFDB11F221E.jpeg

Finally, a classic triple decker infill on Parker looks like it’s getting close to being done.

These are all somehow contextual, nice, and diverse. The red brick one is one of the strangest new buildings I’ve seen in a while. And yes, they should bury the power lines.

Yeah, although the wooden one is pretty funky, too. I actually think I might like them - at least they are something different. Been a while since I've had an excuse to go over to Mission Hill, maybe I need to hit up the Boston Building Resource for some copper weather stripping and chains to finish my last 2 window rebuilds as an excuse to check things out.

Approved

110-128R terrace st
16e440c5-3edc-4bc9-bef8-63a1a71d54af

The Proposal is for a six story, approximately 85,147 square SF/FAR residential structure with ground floor retail and 32 below grade parking spaces. The Project will require the demolition of existing commercial auto repair buildings and three residential structures. The residential program will consist of a total of 79 apartment units including 14 affordable. Unit types include traditional one, two and three-bedroom flats, studio and micro units, and two and three bedroom duplexes on the upper floors.

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/110-128r-terrace-street

Could be a big win if the building materials are high quality - especially the brick work. Even has cornices! I was also pretty confused on the existing 3 residential buildings as from the street it looks like only two, but, I think the third is hidden behind the further building on the lot, as I must think they won't be tearing down pretty new building right next to it. Kind of interesting to see stuff like this getting built on the back side of the hill.

Board approves 79-apartment building on Terrace Street on Mission Hill

By adamg on Tue, 04/11/2023 - 2:57pm
Rendering of Terrace Street proposal

Rendering by Placetailor Elton + Hampton Design.
The Zoning Board of Appeal today approved a developer's plans to replace an auto-body shop and houses at 110 Terrace St. with a six-story, 79-unit apartment building with 32 parking spaces.
Developer Matthew O'Hara's proposal would also include widening the sidewalk along Terrace from 6 to 8 1/2 feet, installing a Bluebikes station and carving out an emergency access path in the back out of what his architect said is now an "ailanthus grove" between the lot and the Orange Line tracks for both firefighters and the MBTA.
14 of the units would be rented as affordable.
O'Hara needed several variances, including permission for building housing on land zoned for industrial uses - on a street where industrial uses have been giving way in recent years to residential buildings.

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/board-approves-79-apartment-building-terrace

Back