Mixed Use | Wharf 8 & Pier 7 | Seaport

^ Dry dock number 3 gets used all the time. Drydock number 4 never gets used.

Mayor-Walsh-BRA-Audit-Non-Revenue-Producing-Land-Parcels-630x565.png

^^Any chance we could we restart the thread with post #19?

This would be a great spot for a Seaport version of Piers Park, as has been proposed by various groups. A public swimming facility built into the drydock (maybe with a glass wall to the ocean?) would be amazing.

I was down there last Sunday. Glad to see the Harborlights name lives on.

43949637872_8415337d19_h.jpg

43949638542_6d27c22a76_h.jpg

Weird. I did not know about this. Just tried to google around to find out what happened to the pier that made it sink or get submerged, but nothing to find, just old nautical charts showing it. Anyone know what the story is? Piers and jetties dont just sink... unless the thing was super old and made of wood, and is actually rotten — but that seems less likely.

It's a drydock - it's designed for ship building and repair. Water can be pumped in or out of the middle (currently flooded) section, and the solid connector bit on the ocean side is a gate that can open or close. :cool:

It's a drydock - it's designed for ship building and repair. Water can be pumped in or out of the middle (currently flooded) section, and the solid connector bit on the ocean side is a gate that can open or close. :cool:

Drydock 4 is not part of this project. Wharf 7 and Pier 8 are west of the drydock.
Here is a graphic I got off the BPDA site.

Wharf-8-Pier-7

Drydock 4 is not part of this project. Wharf 7 and Pier 8 are west of the drydock.
Here is a graphic I got off the BPDA site.

Wharf-8-Pier-7

Thanks for that graphic, BeeLine.

Of course, if they developed the whole length of the submerged pier, it would block the view of the city from Drydock 4, which is proposed to be redeveloped as a park. I would hope that the full length doesn't get developed so as to preserve the prospect of a park at the drydock.

Thanks for that graphic, BeeLine.

Of course, if they developed the whole length of the submerged pier, it would block the view of the city from Drydock 4, which is proposed to be redeveloped as a park. I would hope that the full length doesn't get developed so as to preserve the prospect of a park at the drydock.

So this is actually submerged?

Id assume so as they cant build new ones due to shit tons of laws regarding building in the ocean. Same with in the North End theres those logs still sticking up out in the water thats going to allow a new wharf to be built. If there used to be a wharf somewhere a long time ago, and you can dive underwater and theres 1 old log (pile) sticking up out of the mud your allowed to build there. If theres no history and nothing there and your just trying to build a new wharf jutting into the ocean your completely shit out of luck and will be slapped if you apply for a building license.

Back