Modera Mystic (400 low/moderate income units) | 4000 Mystic Valley Pkwy | Medford

Reaction score
The application was filed under Chapter 40B, a statute that facilitates the construction of low- or moderate-income housing. The development, Modera Mystic, would be located at 4000 Mystic Valley Pkwy, the current site of Gold's Gym and other businesses.

Good for Medford on doing its part for adding housing, but there's going to be 2 Modera's in Medford under a mile from each other? https://goo.gl/maps/C98wDyTY5wz9xXas7

With the mess of traffic in that area coupled with the proximity to Wellington, I hope they figure out how to severely limit parking more than what the code requires:
Parking for Multiple Dwellings
b. Not over 125 feet 2 per DU + 1 Visitor per 10 units
c. subsidized elderly or handicapped housing regardless of height .5 per DU
d.Affordable or subsidized housing: 1.5 per affordable unit, regardless of height
e.Within the MUZ district (which adjoins public transportation at the Wellington MBTA Station) 1.5 per DU, inclusive of visitor parking

With the mess of traffic in that area coupled with the proximity to Wellington, I hope they figure out how to severely limit parking more than what the code requires

It's not as great for Wellington as you think, though. The first part of the walk can be through the park and is nice. The second half is across a highway, up 3 flights in a parking garage, across the garage (with no dedicated sidewalk or directional signage) and then across the non-climate-controlled skybridge. All told, it's 0.8 miles at least and involves crossing two big roads and climbing 3 flights of stairs.

Unless you live at Station Landing, Wellington is not a great neighborhood T station. The OL yard is a huge obstacle.

I remember long ago somewhere on here there was discussion of an OL stop between Wellington and Malden Center. I used to wonder at that, but it makes a lot of sense. Wellington is a great place to dump a car or get a bus to, but it is an awful walking station. Station Landing itself is an island.

Forget about Wellington; with a stop about halfway, somewhere around where Commercial St kinks opposite that shopping plaza, near the gym, you could instantly transform that stretch of Highland Ave from a bunch of huge parking lots to the next great residential neighborhood. I'm not sure what's going on with the empty land north of BJ's, is it contaminated or something?

olx.PNG

Who says no?

I go to golds, someone told me that they might sell the property, i thought it was just speculation. I guess they were right!

Although I don't want the gym torn down/relocated. It is a very good spot for residential development. Walking distance to wellington, right across the street from a park, and easy access to 93.

Back