Movie Studios: Boston is the new Hollywood.

Re: Plymouth Rock Studios

I've seen one or two other movies filmed on the same stretch. There is a "luxury condo" across the street that seems to be favored for its interiors. Can't remember when or the names anymore. Too much "SpongeBob", I guess.

This is about the proposed Weymouth studio. From the Patriot Ledger:

It's official: Hollywood investors want to build studio at Weymouth air base

LEDGER EXCLUSIVE

By Jack Encarnacao
The Patriot Ledger
Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 01:30 PM
WEYMOUTH ?
A group of Hollywood investors say they will be ready to break ground in July on a multimillion dollar movie and television production complex at the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

International Studio Group, a band of former Hollywood producers, said redevelopment of the base is far enough along that the company can commit to building a a $250 million to $300 million complex called SouthField Studios.

But first, they say, the Legislature must approve a bill that would classify filmmaking as a manufacturing industry and qualify it for new tax credits.
?Our shovels are poised, and we?re ready to go as soon as the governor signs the bill,? Robert Papazian, a veteran producer whose credits include the HBO series ?Rome,? said in a statement.

If everything goes smoothly, construction on the complex could start as early as July, Rep. Ronald Mariano, D-Quincy, said. Mariano is sponsoring the tax credit bill. Proponents say the studio would create 4,000 to 5,000 jobs.

See the Patriot Ledger special report on Hollywood East: Proposed movie studio in Plymouth

The 30-acre studio complex would include 10 to 15 sound stages, a motion-capture stage, office space, sets designed to look like life-size streets, post-production facilities and an interactive tour. The tour would give tourists and local residents an insider?s look into movie and television production.

Allan Kassirer, a former television producer and attorney for the studio group, said the team has been waiting for certain pieces to fall into place before making a commitment to build in Weymouth. Those include the closing of a deal between the Navy and the Tri-Town Redevelopment Corp. to acquire all the base property and securing state financing for construction of a parkway through the property.

Kassirer said the group is confident that Mariano?s bill for new tax credits will be approved.

?All of the things that were necessary to happen at the property we?re comfortable with,? Kassirer said. ?It?s a question of time.?

Kassirer said the complex would be modeled after Fox Studios in Los Angeles. A range of amenities for production crews, including dry cleaners, restaurants and a mill for set construction, would be built on site.
?If you?ve never been on a studio, it?s hard to imagine,? he said.
International Studio Group has significant experience in production and studio development.

As a team, Papazian and fellow producer James Hirsch won Emmy awards for their NBC production of ?Inherit the Wind? and most recently produced the HBO miniseries ?Rome.? The pair also built and operated Ray-Art Studios, which housed many of Hollywood?s leading producers, studios and networks. They also owned and operated the Sunset-Gower Studios in Los Angeles.

The other partners are Lee Tomlinson, a former principal in Culver Studios where ?Gone With the Wind? was shot, and Jack McDaniel, a designer and developer for Universal Studios Florida.

Kassirer, a long-time entertainment lawyer and entertainment manager, has produced several films including ?North Shore Fish,? which was written by Massachusetts native Israel Horovitz.

Jack Encarnacao is at jencarnacao@ledger.com.

Great news, but I don't think this is the same as Plymouth Rock Studios. This sounds like a different development.

It is different. Perhaps the thread title should be changed to "Movie Studios - Plymouth and Weymouth"

Wow, that is crazy....this makes it seem like Massachusetts is going to grow to become a huge movie hub....lol I am extremely impressed...this could be like a second coming for Massachusetts and in that, Boston. Think about it, as times goes on, more studios could be built and many celebrities would have to live out here (at least part time) for films, and more people would probably move here to take advantage of the movie industry in Massachusetts. I know that is all a little far fetched, but it does seem like something possible which is great. Overall, it should end up being an economic and population boost for Boston and Massachusetts. The reason why I say Boston is because Boston would act as the Los Angeles for these studios since it is the major city nearby. People in the movie industry would go to Boston for social purposes, and more people would probably live there.

Re: Movie Studios: Plymouth & Weymouth

Truly, no one ever thought the subsidy of films would be this successful. Of course, the studios seem to be banking on the dollar being down long term; I wonder whether Boston is absorbing a lot of the production that used to be done in Toronto and Montreal.

nice point czsz, I think the movie studios are right that the dollar will be down long term, Asia isn't keeping it as artificially high as they used to because now they can sell some of their product to their own and India.

probably belongs in movies in boston thread but thursday they were filming on Devonshire and in the tux shop on Milk right before Wash. Lots of idiots sitting there waiting to see a 'star' I guess Meg Ryan and Goldie Hawn's daughter forget her name were filming down there. Tons of trucks and the whole nine

If you go to the Burlington Mall, you'll see another movie underway. Don't know the name, but I think Kevin James (?) the guy who did The King of Queens is the headliner for that one.

Matthew McConaughey was near my school a couple months ago as well filming something. Jennifer Garner is filming something in the state as well with Leonardo DiCaprio. Massachusetts is booming when it comes to the movie industry, and I personally think it's awesome.

Sorry for the double post:

Movie studio backers seek big break

Tax incentive bill would save developers up to $60m

By Christine Legere
Globe Correspondent / April 12, 2008

The developers of a proposed $300 million movie and television production studio on the former South Weymouth Naval Air Base are seeking a tax break from the state that would allow them to save as much as $60 million on construction.

more stories like this"We've told everybody the numbers just don't work without it," said Allan Kassirer, a principal for International Studio Group. "I've said to the governor and everybody on Beacon Hill that in order for the state to get the infrastructure, you need to have the incentives."

A bill, proposed by state Representative Ronald Mariano of Quincy, would give a 20 percent tax break to film companies on costs related to building their studios. It would also offer other state and local perks for studio owners by reclassifying film production as a manufacturing industry, making them exempt from the sales tax and allowing them to negotiate for other tax abatements in their host communities.

Mariano, who expects a legislative committee to begin reviewing the bill soon, sees the measure as critical to the film industry's future in Massachusetts, particularly when other states are putting together even more lucrative packages to bring such companies their way.

Michigan, for instance, enacted last week a 40 percent tax incentive for the film industry.

"Wherever the deal is, that's where they'll locate," Mariano said. "I'm hoping the Committee on Revenue can focus on this bill now so we can get it moving."

A group of major players in the California film industry announced for the South Weymouth studio on Tuesday.

"We literally are ready to go," Kassirer said. "We've been working on the design for the last eight months and studying where we would locate on the air base property."

They expect to initially use about 30 acres of the old base and expand to 50 acres.

But the tax incentives, Kassirer said, are critical. He said he has been discussing the project, and the need for incentives, with the state's top leaders for the past several weeks.

Kassirer said Massachusetts right now is capturing only "a small piece of the pie" by giving tax credits for shooting movies in the state.

"What's needed are aggressive incentives for infrastructure," Kassirer said. "If you don't have places to produce movies, you don't have an industry. What you have are people coming in to shoot during nice weather, and then leaving the state."

Kassirer predicted that the credit on infrastructure would "kick start" the industry in Massachusetts.

The project planned for the South Weymouth airbase is called Southfield Studios. It would include 10 to 15 soundstages, production and postproduction facilities, temporary and long-term office space, restaurants, retails shops, and tourist attractions.

When completed, Kassirer said, it would generate thousands of high-paying jobs, and - with training programs - a workforce that hails from Massachusetts rather than California.

David Kirkpatrick and his team of California film moguls have their own $300 million project proposed for a tract in South Plymouth, Plymouth Rock Studios. The focus is currently on securing the targeted site and getting a necessary zoning change.

Kirkpatrick said that he has been following the progress of Mariano's bill, but that the proposed incentives will not determine whether his project moves forward.

"For us, we'd love it, but we're not actively seeking it out," Kirkpatrick said on Thursday.

Opponents of Mariano's bill question the wisdom of giving handouts to corporations during tough economic times.

Michael J. Widmer, president of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, says it isn't fair to give such a substantial perk to a single segment of the economy. "It doesn't even pass the straight-face test," he said yesterday.

"The question is cost versus benefits," Widmer continued. "Before we add to what they already get, we have to ask, is this worth the benefit."

Kassirer said the answer is an unequivocal "yes."

"People say it's a money grab, but it's not," he said. "It lessens the financial burden on us. We're literally going to create thousands and thousands of high-paying jobs over the next two to four years."

He added that while the state will have allowed about $138 million in incentives, "its projected $1 billion 280 million [related to the film industry] will be circulating in the economy between 2006 and 2008."

Link

If you go to the Burlington Mall, you'll see another movie underway. Don't know the name, but I think Kevin James (?) the guy who did The King of Queens is the headliner for that one.

Matthew McConaughey was near my school a couple months ago as well filming something. Jennifer Garner is filming something in the state as well with Leonardo DiCaprio. Massachusetts is booming when it comes to the movie industry, and I personally think it's awesome.

They filed part of that kevin james movie literally right down the street from me in west roxbury. My dad got hid autograph. He is really a great guy.

How can we allow these tax credits to continue???? It's a losing proposition - other states will just increase the incentives, etc., etc., etc.

We're already lining the pockets of movie stars with these handouts. Do we need more???

Well if we can get them to build before other states increase their incentives, I doubt they're going to abandon a 300 million dollar studio because a state with less to offer (no coastline, proximity to 2 *major* cities, etc etc) lowered their tax to .02% less.

How can we allow these tax credits to continue???? It's a losing proposition - other states will just increase the incentives, etc., etc., etc.

We're already lining the pockets of movie stars with these handouts. Do we need more???

I second this concern. The business literature has found that tax breaks are not the most important component in locational decisionmaking for most corporations. The economic literature has also found that any business that makes a locational decision based on tax breaks is marginal at best and very often end up going out of business in quick order. Research on the effects of these tax breaks also finds that the costs to the municipality and the state are very often far higher than the benefits received. Not to mention that corporations also very often renege on their promises.

That's not to say that there is no role for tax breaks or other government supports but the size of the some of the incentives is worrisome.

Also, there is plenty of space in existing urbanized areas to house movie production operations. There was brief talk recently about trying to attract a movie studio, or something similar, to Suffolk Downs here in Eastie. Somerville also has plenty of unused and underused warehouse sized spaces that creative people could just as easily redevelop for film production. Same could be said for our older mill towns like Lawrence, Lowell, Worcester, and Framingham. Not to mention a huge former GE complex in Pittsfield. I would be more in favor of tax breaks of this size if it was going to revitalize an area like Pittsfield than Weymouth. Not that Weymouth isn't in need of a new source of revenue, but Pittsfield is higher on my personal list of towns in desperate need of new industry. And it is closer to NYC.

I would like to see them put a movie studio on the old stop and shop warehouse on dedham/boston line. They were going to redevelop for housing, but that never got off the ground.

I have an idea to build the studio in Boston and offset the cost of the tax breaks while actually adding property to the tax rolls in Boston!

Lets take some of Harvard's Allston property by eminent domain, and build it there- give them pennies on the dollar like they did back in the day and tell them to go ahead and sue. If they do we can then use politicians to crush them by implying that their 50 year plan may take 150.

They obviously don't need all that land anyway because like Government Center and the Southie Waterfront, their plan seems to be desperately trying to fill as much space as possible.

As an migrant from L.A. and current East Boston resident, I could make one other note of caution about bringing in movie studios to Massachusetts: filmmaking can be incredible disruptive to the daily lives of regular people. In L.A., I can't tell you how many times my staff were late getting to work or going home because someone was filming some scene on a freeway and had a permit to shut the freeway down. Have you any idea how long it takes to clear a 30 mile backup on a freeway?

They've been doing some regular film work here in Eastie recently and sometimes you don't know if the loud bangs you are hearing come from the movie or is something to really be concerned about. I don't mind it so much now, but if my neighborhood was constantly targeted by filmmakers, it might get a bit tiresome.

On the whole I like the idea. Most movie production jobs are generally well paying, union positions. And a diversified economy is always a good thing. But they should be treated like all other commercial activities that want to locate here. If Boston is a really good location for them, they will come no matter what.

Is there any precedent for this elsewhere in the country? I'm assuming there are similar film studios in the NYC area and perhaps in Miami?

Is there any precedent for this elsewhere in the country? I'm assuming there are similar film studios in the NYC area and perhaps in Miami?

Yes, there are studios elsewhere. New York City has a large studio in either Astoria or Long Island City, I can't remember which. Florida, because of Universal and Disney, has large studios around Orlando.

Most states that offer incentives will never build large studios, nor will they have a cadre of trade skills and actors/actresses. Boston is fortunate to have a number of colleges offering programs in film, as well as a great number of theaters with local stage talent.

IMO, the push to build a larger film business in Boston is to cement Boston as a long-term alternative to Toronto and Montreal as a location.

A studio complex in Pittsfield won't work; its an extremely inconvenient location.

I have an idea to build the studio in Boston and offset the cost of the tax breaks while actually adding property to the tax rolls in Boston!

Lets take some of Harvard's Allston property by eminent domain, and build it there- give them pennies on the dollar like they did back in the day and tell them to go ahead and sue. If they do we can then use politicians to crush them by implying that their 50 year plan may take 150.

They obviously don't need all that land anyway because like Government Center and the Southie Waterfront, their plan seems to be desperately trying to fill as much space as possible.

Harvard's Allston property, or at least a good part of it is likely to become an extension of Pharma-land, with a nexus of Harvard, MIT, and BU near the Allston tolls. Far more valuable to the long-term future of Boston than a movie studio.

Scott: I'd prefer to put Suffolk Downs or Wonderland out of their misery and put the film studio there.

Back