Movies in boston

nico

Reaction score
A co-worker sent me these pics from yesterdays shoot for some new Meg Ryan movie. They've been filming all over town; these were filmed on South St. across from Les Zyg. Seems b/c of the new tax breaks, they?ve been shooting a lot of movies around here lately. I was hoping to start a thread about all the movies being filmed, or that have been filmed in Boston? I?m sure people have pictures from the Departed, 21, and this movie. I guess people could even post pics of locations used in past movies. I know I have some pics from the L Street Tavern from before it was renovated, and even some old pics from Spencer for Hire shootings in the North End?.maybe even something from the Brink?s job shoot.

my.php
[/URL]

[/img]

^^I did my best. Someone has got to explain to me how to do this right. I guess just double click for a better pic.

Film Boston always seems to have livelier sidewalks and better fashion sense. Would that it were true!

Seriously, what was the difference between the Boston of Ally McBeal and the New York of Sex and the City?

Today's sightings: Blagden and Exeter Streets were completely taken over by production trailers. Here's Blagden

img0185bj3.jpg

and on Comm Ave. just west of Exeter was this

img0188is7.jpg

img0189hx6.jpg

There are a couple of movies being filmed in Boston right now. I'm excited. Last week I ran into the shoot of a movie called the 'Bachelor No.2' staring Dane Cook and Kate Hudson. I actually sat there and watched them film the same seen over and over again. I was just star struck I guess. Kate Hudson is so beautiful in person. The shoot was on Commonwealth Ave. I also heard Jada Pinkett Smith was in town filming a movie. I'm looking out for her! :wink:

I saw some filming for "Bachelor No. 2" in the North End the other day. They were filming inside Galleria Umberto, but they had renamed it, "Cheesus Crust"! Oh man, that Dane Cook.

ed. for poor spelling.

Apparently the priest from the neighboring church kicked them off the block for that Cheesus Chrust thing.

Roxxma said:
Pfffft.. File it under Jesus save me from your followers, or at least your self-appointed defenders of the faith.

Eh, don't worry the incident didn't involve a Mosque. There won't be any calls for beheadings for 'insulting and humiliating' this or that, 'youths' rioting, flipping and burning cars, and or veiled threats if demands aren't complied with.

The Pink Panther is also being filmed in town, crews were at Copley last week.

whats interesting about the Pink Panther movie is that it doesn't actually take place in boston. I believe boston is being used as a fill-in for Paris...

Pink Panther had trailers near the Gamble Mansion. I guess Back Bay with some CGI magic is going to be a poor man's Paris on the silver screen.

Saw gone baby gone at at the Loews on the common last Friday night. Everybody seemed to like it...but I was disappointed.
Most of the footage did look familiar. The Everett/Chelsea and Dorchester scenes will all be recognizable.

I went over to Home Depot in Chelsea and the saw that they had errected a pretty big set of what looks like a balcony on a palace. Later in the day they were lifting a guy dressed like the Pope down from the balcony with a crane. ( My father saw the Pope, not me...said it was hilarious.)
Not sure what they're filming...anybody know?

I got a couple pictures...I'll try to post them.

Filmmakers have more than a feeling about Boston

Reuters
By Carolyn Giardina
Sun Dec 23, 2:21 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Boston is fast becoming Hollywood Northeast. Martin Scorsese's "The Departed" was set in the Bay State and more than half of the film was shot on location, but only about $6 million of its $90 million budget was spent in Massachusetts, with a larger amount of the location work going to New York, according to Nicholas Paleologos, executive director of the Massachusetts Film Office.

"Fast-forward 24 months: 'The Pink Panther 2' had nothing to do with Massachusetts and not a single scene takes place in Massachusetts -- but Massachusetts got the lion's share of the location spending," he said.

In large part, this trend can be attributed to an aggressive tax incentive plan allowing productions that drop more than $50,000 in Massachusetts to receive a 25% rebate on everything they spend in the state.

Nine major features were shot in Massachusetts this year, pouring more than $125 million in direct expenditure into the local economy, up 150% from 2006, said Paleologos

"Before (the incentives), those pictures would stay in the state for a week or two shooting exteriors and then shoot in another place where they could get a tax credit," he said.

Contributing to the program's success to some degree is the greenback's slide against the Canadian dollar, prompting producers to look for cheaper location options in the States. And Boston has been met with enthusiasm.

"Everywhere you turn, the camera is a feast for your eyes," said Mike Paseornek, president of production at Lionsgate. "Boston has not ever been overused as a city for a setting in movies. You have a fresh look at something audiences haven't seen for quite a while.

"As long as the tax incentives stay in place, we will be returning to the city."

Lionsgate recently filmed "My Best Friend's Girl," starring Dane Cook and Kate Hudson, in the Boston area. The production team took full advantage of the city, shooting along the Charles River and Commonwealth Avenue as well as at Fenway Park, Quincy Market and Boston Common.

"Boston was right for this movie, and the tax incentives made it possible to get the film done within the budget," Paseornek said.

Similarly, Rob Paris, one of the producers of "The Lonely Maiden," starring Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken, William H. Macy and Marcia Gay Harden, said: "We are filming downtown at a customs house. We shot in the North End and Paul Revere Mall. We've done great iconography to incorporate into the movie, which I think is going to give it a nice extra layer that previously we weren't going to have."

He added that the producers initially were looking to shoot in Vancouver, but the slumping U.S. dollar coupled with the tax incentives made Boston the more advantageous choice.

Other productions that filmed in Boston this year included Denzel Washington's Christmas Day release "The Great Debaters," and the Mick Jagger-produced "The Women," starring Meg Ryan.

In production are Richard Kelly's "The Box," starring Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and Frank Langella, and "Real Men Cry," starring Mark Ruffalo, Ethan Hawke and Amanda Peet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071223/film_nm/massachusetts_dc

Once again, a news article calls it a tax "incentive". It has nothing to do with "taxes".

If a film spends $10 million on salaries, etc., the Commonwealth of Massachusetts GIVES them $2.5 million back. In cash.

There are no "taxes" involved in this give-away.

There are two other parts to the film program, which are, in-fact, "tax-related" - they allow filmmakers to get rebates on sales taxes paid, as well as rebates on some of their payroll taxes.

Again, the main reason filmmakers come here is because the state GIVES them the money.

Not saying some people don't think that is a good idea, just that you wouldn't know about it, if you only read what was printed in the newspapers.

The article makes it seem that the $2.5m would only go to the movie if the $10m was spent in state though. Does that include salaries on non residents? I don't understand? :confused:

I don't like the idea of paying for non related MA purchases!!

Film studio may not bring all good news

Globe Correspondent / December 23, 2007
Local officials look to the Good News Holdings film studio to bring good jobs, revenue, and training opportunities if, as planned, it sets up shop on 1,000 town-owned acres in south Plymouth. But town officials are also beginning to worry about some of the less desirable things that might come as part of the package.

more stories like thisWhat officials don't want is the sprawl of more residential development and big-box stores like those that have opened recently in the north and west sections of town. And those are possible if Good News Holdings manages, as expected, to get approval for a new highway interchange to provide access from Route 25 for its massive development.

"It's not the project that will be the agent of the change. It's the interchange," says Planning Board member Lawrence Rosenblum. "It will result in the kind of development we're saying we don't want to see."

Rosenblum, like many others, is not necessarily opposed to a new interchange, but calls it "naive" to think big stores, chain restaurants, and residential development won't come once access is created. He is therefore urging officials to take a broader look at the area's development and include far more in their study than the 1,000-acre tract targeted for the film studio.

"The real question is do we want to open a back door to Plymouth?" Rosenblum said.

The Good News blueprint for its own development is ambitious in its own right.

Good News Holdings' proposal, called Project Julia, calls for construction of soundstages, back lots, production and screening rooms, restaurants, a cultural center, 100 units of housing, and a 300-room hotel. That would cover about 10 acres with buildings.

The studio would be the East Coast anchor of the film industry, according to company representatives. The complex would be placed on about 150 acres of the 1,000 acres the town owns in south Plymouth, leaving plenty of buffer.

South Plymouth residents are guardedly supportive of the project. Officials, for the most part, are downright enthusiastic.

The project also carries support at the state level, where tax incentives to attract the film industry have been recently put in place.

Lee Hartmann, Plymouth's director of planning and development, agrees that the highway interchange called for in the studio plan will bring development, but he says it is inevitable. "I think he's right it will accelerate growth, but growth is already on the way," Hartmann said. "I can think of a lot of larger properties in that area that have been up for sale."

At the town's request, MassDevelopment, the quasi-governmental economic development agency, looked at the 1,000 acres and concluded about 500 acres of it could be developed. The agency is now in the second phase of its study, looking more closely at what it would take to develop the parcel. Since Good News has expressed interest in the site, the film company's project is part of the study's focus.Rosenblum wants scrutiny broadened to include the huge state forest and the property owned by the Makepeace company. That land is currently targeted for major commercial and residential development. The result of the broadened study would be a master plan, of sorts, for south Plymouth.

more stories like thisOn Tuesday, MassDevelopment gave selectmen and Planning Board members the opportunity to offer what each sees as the primary goals and drawbacks of developing the site. Economic gain, educational opportunities, and high-paying jobs topped the list of pluses, while fears of impacts to area residents, along with residential sprawl and big box stores, were the negatives.

Rosenblum, who has been critical of what he sees as the selectmen's failure, until now, to keep the Planning Board part of the study process, called Tuesday's meeting constructive.

"I think it was an appropriate place to start and a lot was put on the table, but you have to go from there to somewhere else," he said.

"It's not enough to memorialize the discussion in a memo. The trick is to identify action items and see how each can be addressed. We all want it to be a win-win situation, but it has to be thought out."

Hartmann said there's a limit to the amount of information that can be gathered.

"Our goal, as town staff, is to get as much information as possible to decision-makers: the selectmen, Planning Board, Finance Committee, and Town Meeting," he said.

"We've heard the requests for information on Wednesday and we'll provide all the information we can. I think the more information we have, the better, but there's a limit to the depth at which you can study something."

Hartmann added that time constraints and budget limitations all factor in.

"What you do is make the best decision you can with the information you have," he said.

Zoning changes and land disposition issues relating to Project Julia are expected to be presented to Town Meeting some time in the spring.

Both will require a two-thirds majority approval by voters to pass at Town Meeting.

Similar joint sessions involving the Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, and MassDevelopment are expected to be scheduled over the months leading to Town Meeting.

Well.... They were filming a movie scene on Newberry street the other day at the Sonsie restaurant right across the street from my school(Boston Architectural College aka The BAC). It's a movie called "The Ghost Of Girlfriends Past" starring Jennifer Garner(Alias, Pearl Harbor, The Kingdom, Daredevil, Elektra and many more, also Ben Aflecks wifey!) and Mathew McConaughey(The Wedding Planner, Frailty, Amistad, A Time to Kill, Fools Gold and many more). I stood out there in the freezing cold for hours just to get a glimpse of the stars. Eventually I got to see Matt and I also got to meet Garner's body guard and take a picture with Jennifer Garner herself!!! I was so excited. I gaot the best pic of the night and if I could find out how to post pics I will post it

Well.... They were filming a movie scene on Newberry street the other day at the Sonsie restaurant right across the street from my school(Boston Architectural College aka The BAC). It's a movie called "The Ghost Of Girlfriends Past" starring Jennifer Garner(Alias, Pearl Harbor, The Kingdom, Daredevil, Elektra and many more, also Ben Aflecks wifey!) and Mathew McConaughey(The Wedding Planner, Frailty, Amistad, A Time to Kill, Fools Gold and many more). I stood out there in the freezing cold for hours just to get a glimpse of the stars. Eventually I got to see Matt and I also got to meet Garner's body guard and take a picture with Jennifer Garner herself!!! I was so excited. I gaot the best pic of the night and if I could find out how to post pics I will post it

Back