Moving back to Boston

In and out of parking complexes, or whatever you have.

Tack on five minutes, that's still a hell of a lot better than one would fare riding the T. As for the car/subway/bike debate it's a simple matter of one values their time, comfort and productivity.

Arkansas>Boston

Can shoot gun anywhere: plus
Fast food: drive fast enough and you can run over your own: plus
Savings on Toothpaste: plus
Krispy Kreme: plus
Former Govs running for President: plus

Just wanted to let you all know that I have accepted a position in Boston and I will be moving back during labor day weekend.

I am going to go without a car for the first few months and I will be taking the T to work every day.

Grats on the job. Sep 1 is going to be rough though ;)

Is it in the Design Center after all?

Just wanted to let you all know that I have accepted a position in Boston and I will be moving back during labor day weekend.

I am going to go without a car for the first few months and I will be taking the T to work every day.

Welcome to the Monthly Passholders Club!

Welcome to the Monthly Passholders Club!

Thanks! It's going to be a long commute every day

Thankfully they offer pre-tax deductions for the T....

I've been pricing cars out and the fact that a $600-700 monthly payment will be less than half my monthly cost of ownership and substantially more than I pay for rent is slightly appalling.

For the record, I have decided that I am going to wait until the end of the year to buy a car. My roommate is currently using my parking spot and I can deal with three hours of commuting a day.... for now.

And I have officially moved back to Brookline.

Which part of Brookline, and where is the job? (Just wondering what makes for the 3 hour commute)

Congrats on the move and the job

For the record, I have decided that I am going to wait until the end of the year to buy a car. My roommate is currently using my parking spot and I can deal with three hours of commuting a day.... for now.

And I have officially moved back to Brookline.

Three hours of commuting? Where do you work, New Hampshire?

Three hours of commuting? Where do you work, New Hampshire?

Honestly, it sounds plausible. Before I got the hang of things, if I bike from Malden, take the Orange line to North Station, and switch at Kenmore, the time does add up to roughly an hour. Maybe a bit more. I figured out how to shave time better by just parking my bike at Kenmore, but at Rush Hour, it is slow as molasses.

I think he hinted before he works at Innovation District/Seaport. Taking the Green Line at rush hour then trying to take the Silver Line (probably walking from Bolyston?) and possible walking from that stop could take an hour and a half.

In other words, if you combine walking, waiting, Rush Hour, and the Green Line. You're gonna have a bad time.

I recommend a bike.

I work in the seaport. I live near cleveland circle, so I need to make a transfer at park street and again at south station to the silver line. At peak times, between walking and waiting it takes an hour and a half to get home.

Yeah, that sounds about right given how horrible the Green Line is. Transferring at Park outbound has to be miserable given you're almost guaranteed a jam-packed train all the way to at least Kenmore (and usually to the first few surface stops).

Cleveland Circle to Park Street should only be 45 minutes on the C or less with the D, 1 hour max with waiting. If it's taking another 45 minutes for that final mile to the Seaport then... dear lord.

Have you tried Hubway for the final mile? I'd urge you to give it a go if you haven't. Get off at Boylston and ride down Essex Street (you can ride in the dedicated bus lane) through Dewey Square and over Summer St Bridge...

Honestly, it sounds plausible. Before I got the hang of things, if I bike from Malden, take the Orange line to North Station, and switch at Kenmore, the time does add up to roughly an hour. Maybe a bit more. I figured out how to shave time better by just parking my bike at Kenmore, but at Rush Hour, it is slow as molasses.

I think he hinted before he works at Innovation District/Seaport. Taking the Green Line at rush hour then trying to take the Silver Line (probably walking from Bolyston?) and possible walking from that stop could take an hour and a half.

In other words, if you combine walking, waiting, Rush Hour, and the Green Line. You're gonna have a bad time.

I recommend a bike.

When I lived in Brookline Village, I worked at the Federal Reserve Building. I took the D-line to Park, Red line to South Station, door to door averaged 25 minutes. Khata has a longer commute than that, but over much of the same path. He can get the D-line at Reservoir or Beaconsfield, depending on what he means by living near Cleveland Circle. That adds five minutes to my 25 to get to South Station. My experience with the Silver Line has been pretty consistent -- 5 to 10 minutes from South Station to World Trade Center. Let's round things up a bit, we're still talking 45 minutes, an hour if things don't go well. No way is that a 90 minute commute.

When I lived in Brookline Village, I worked at the Federal Reserve Building. I took the D-line to Park, Red line to South Station, door to door averaged 25 minutes. Khata has a longer commute than that, but over much of the same path. He can get the D-line at Reservoir or Beaconsfield, depending on what he means by living near Cleveland Circle. That adds five minutes to my 25 to get to South Station. My experience with the Silver Line has been pretty consistent -- 5 to 10 minutes from South Station to World Trade Center. Let's round things up a bit, we're still talking 45 minutes, an hour if things don't go well. No way is that a 90 minute commute.

Have you calculated Rush hour? Not to mention that he likely have to wait for the arrival of a Green Line train, a Red Line train, and the right Silver Line bus. I was a BU student till quite recently and use the trains a lot in those years. The times I get to Park in 25 minutes are the times start paying attention to the time I get to the station with the train right there and the Red Line already there. I have long found the biggest eater of time is rush hour, walking to/from the station, and waiting for the train. And Kahta have to wait x3. If there's a 10 minute walk to and from the stations, there's 20 minutes already.

Walking to Station: 10 mins.
Waiting at Station: 5 minutes.
Reservoir to Park: 24 minutes (Per google)
Waiting at Station again: 5 minutes:
Park to South: 4 Minutes (Per google)
Waiting at Bus Stop: 5 mins
South to WTC: 8 mins (per Google)
WTC to work: 10 mins

Calculated time: 71 Minutes - 1 Hour and 11 minutes

19 Minutes short, but that's not taking account of Rush Hour, and my experiences is Rush Hour always takes longer than outside of it.

You can argue you wait time is less on average, but I never felt it. I have to wait more than negligible time (like 5 minutes) during rush hour at Kenmore.

You might argue it might not take 10 minutes to walk to the station. I'll ask to time yourself how long it takes sometimes to cross some busy streets. You'll be surprised.

Even if Rush Hour only adds 10 minutes, then it's already 1 Hour and 20 mins. From picking a time to leave from home or arriving to work, time might as well be rounded.

Verdict: Plausible.

As I was talking about my commuting experience, you can consider that to mean it was during rush hour. The 25 minutes included waiting for two trains. I don't have any idea how far he'll need to walk, so I can't account for that variable, but I'd hope it's not 30 minutes. I did factor in wait time for the silver line -- it really is that quick. And then I padded everything, and yet I still come up with something that could be as fast as 45 minutes.

As I was talking about my commuting experience, you can consider that to mean it was during rush hour. The 25 minutes included waiting for two trains. I don't have any idea how far he'll need to walk, so I can't account for that variable, but I'd hope it's not 30 minutes. I did factor in wait time for the silver line -- it really is that quick. And then I padded everything, and yet I still come up with something that could be as fast as 45 minutes.

Somehow you manage to go from Reservoir to Park then Park to South with time to spare to wait at Reservoir and at Park? All in 25 minutes? During Rush Hour? Honestly, I find it kinda hard to believe. My memory seems the only way that is possible is a very short wait time. As in you get on the Platform and the train arrive and moves on within 2 minutes.

I feel Google seems to favor my experience, their calculation is 36 minutes of on the actual train ridding (and they don't seem to account any increase or decrease if you change the departure time of rush hour or not), 8 minutes of walking and waiting seems way too low unless the trains are really makes that headways/time it perfectly and both home and work are right off the station.

In the end, this argument can't go anywhere. It seems my experience and your experience is completely incompatible. Either I'm coloring my experience to be too pessimistically or your coloring your experience too optimistically. And this can't be verified by telling each other our experiences.

The only way is to time the trip and honestly report the results.

(Obviously part of this is timing-- there are some days that I haven't had to wait at all for a bus/train to show up)

Walk from office to silver line: 4 minutes
Wait at silver line: 5 minutes
Silver line to South station: 8 minutes
Wait at south station: 5 minutes
South station to Park st: 5 minutes
Wait at park st: 8 minutes (I can take the C or D, but the D is a lot faster)
Park st to beaconsfield: 30 minutes
Walk from beaconsfield to condo: 10 minutes

Total of 75 minutes without any delays... this is not factoring walking to to the Dunkin Donuts at cleveland circle in the morning or running errands on the walk home.

Driving to work:

Walk to car, 1 minute
Drive to Mass Turnpike: 8 minutes via washington st and cambridge st
Mass Turnpike: 5 minutes
Exit at south Boston, drive to garage: 3 minutes
walk to office: 5 minutes

Back