Munjoy Hill infill

cneal

Reaction score
A 21 unit housing proposal for Sheridan Street just got conditional Planning Board approval:

Sheridan-Heights.jpg

Other pics of that and other projects at

http://www.tfharchitects.com/

Click on "Portfolio" and "on the boards"

The mixed one use is the one in Westbrook. I'm not sure if that's the project that the builder pulled out of, or the new one that is trying to get approved. I hope it's the new one
[/url]

Looks like a nice addition to the neighborhood! As for the Westbrook mixed use building, I'm pretty sure it's been scrapped. The firm that was supposed to build it pulled out due to insufficient funds or something like that. It would have made a great addition to the downtown. Since then I read that they are proposing to build a 4 story building instead :(

Hey Shazbat, back in the States yet?

Anyhow, you are right, the 7 story towers for westbrook have fallen through just as soon as they arose for consideration. I think it was less than two months from the time they were unveiled as plans to the time they were declared defunct. Too bad, too, because Westbrook really is in a good spot to position itself as a major competitor with portland and south portland. This would have helped its image a lot, even if only marginally increasing its regional standing in terms of office space and living quarters. height says a lot about pride and vision, I think. too bad. Westbrook, even though it is an urban centered mill town, with dense housing, still has, believe it or not, a lot of farm land and undeveloped (or under developed) fields and forest space which could really be quite easily gobbled up with new sub divisions and office complexes. some of this has already been happening, by the mall and by the portland border, but A LOT more could be going on there. just look at all of the mini developments occurring in scarborough and gorham and other farther out suburbs...that should all be happening in Westbrook, which offers the same type of atmosphere (suburban-rural) and a much shorter commute. I was stuck in traffic the other day for 50 minutes just trying to get from buxton to south portland, which is usually a 15 minute or so trip. rush hour is nuts with all of those new developments along rt 22. they should all be in westbrook. and out by the mall, where all of those insurance companies are, as well as the semi conductor and other businesses, thos eshould all be going to westbrook, where Idexx has already set up shop. thats what I would do, I guarantee it is closer to portland (closer to a higher number of potential employees in other words) and I bet the rent per square foot is much cheaper. Wetsbrook needs to do something to capitalize on its strategic position, there is no reason it should look the way it does being located so close to portland and south portland. the same goes for over-the-bridge south portland. there is absolutely no excuse for it to look so raggedy and undeveloped, with little mill-creek, a nice pond, and podunk appeal. it is located a hop away from downtown portland, no excuse. spring point needs to be developed, and knightville needs the same.

anyway, back on topic, that pic looks great, where is sheridan street?? munjoy hill should be much more dense than the west end, since it is a working class neighborhood, and the west end is split between working class and rich person status, but the opposite is true. even with all of those triple decker apartments it is still a little less dense.

Patrick - Nope, not back yet! As a matter of fact.....I just got extended a few days ago! I should be back this summer to check out Portland, OOB and Sanford myself. Thanks for the pics and updates!

good luck overseas, my friend! Ill keep you updated on portland projects with plenty of pics!

Back