NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St. | Seaport

Probably wouldn't look as bad / would look better if the Alyx wasn't across the street as stark comparison.

Too bad the quality of the panels doesn't show up in the photos but the cheapness of the glass comes thru loud and clear.

I hope I get an opportunity soon to visit the Seaport and see what this building and all the other new buildings look like in real life. It's been a couple of years since I was down there last.

I think it looks better in person overall than in photos, though I never really noticed the glass being an issue until now - just figured it was the nature of the reflections. It's certainly no example of inspired design, but I thought the execution was well done, other than a couple of areas. For example, the LED screens in the front are kind of weird and the red sculpture (? I guess) to me always just looks like it's supposed to be a temporary installation during the Christmas (can I say that here?) season only.

Or from 1963-1970. Only 7 years but eons regarding styles.

Sorry, I just don’t see the same measure of difference between 2006-2021. What has changed so markedly? Maybe the proliferation of boring glass box cubes?

The "wet cardboard" precast look fell out of fashion a bit. I guess it's time for a revival.

Back