Neponset River Redevelopment

Lrfox

Reaction score
I was on the Boston Globe website where i found this ( http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2007/02/11/return_to_the_river/ ) article about all of the redevelopment along the Neponset River. I searched the forum and didn't find any threads regarding any of these projects (individually, or mentioned as a microcosm of the redevelopment of the river as a whole).; so, i decided to create one for people to post information, projects and discuss them in.

If this isn't cool.... feel free to have a moderator delete it.

Neponset Landing-

NeponsetLanding.gif

We used to have a thread on this before the crash.

Big building....it looks very attractive though. Where is it located?

It is on the Quincy side of the Neponset River Bridge between Hancock Street and the MBTA Commuter Rail and Red Line tracks, about 1/4 mile from N.Quincy Station in an area know as Norfolk Downs. It is being built on the former site of the Neponset Flea Market and is directly across the river from the new Pope JP Park in Dorchester.

Wow... that's really nice. it'll be a nice addition over there. I always like looking over to that side when i'm driving in from the south. it's off to the right and there are a few relatively new buildings there and it looks like a nice newer area. and speaking of that park, it needs taller trees. but that building looks nice. i hope it's as large as it appears in the rendering.

vanshnookenraggen said:
I must say... I do like that rendering.

A familiar form given a contextual treatment...

photo2_corbusier.jpg

Unit? d'Habitation

300px-Simmons_Hall,_MIT,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts.JPG

Simmons Hall

onecharles1picbig.jpg

One Charles

I actually don't mind Neponset Landing's design -- it would look great in Roman brick, with some Louis Sullivan ornamental bling, instead of the typical precast nonsense that's sprouting up all over town...Better, 1/3 the width, three X the height...

^ To be fair, that building looks wide from that angle, but in reality is no more than ~75 ft deep at any point. The side there just forms a short little wing to the main body fronting on Charles St.

And that Neponset Landing rendering, that thing's gotta be a good 4-500 ft long. Massive!

kz1000ps said:
And that Neponset Landing rendering, that thing's gotta be a good 4-500 ft long. Massive!

The pic of my best local example, Church Park on Mass Ave, wouldn't load...

750 feet of concrete goodness on Mass Ave..... thank the Lord that it has retail on its ground level.

My friends who live across the hall from me and have a view of the building call it "the Commie Block."

And the retail in that building always seems to struggle to survive. It is too far back from the sidewalk, behind an overhang, and you can't easily see the store signs.

The bottom two floors are completely empty and from the rendering it appears that they will remain that way. From the pictures it looks like this building will have enough of a setback for a parking lot and some obligatory trees and shrubbery giving this site all the charm of a hotel in Orlando. So although this building looks like a pretty object it pretty much sucks as far as good urban design is concerned. But that's just based on the pictures above. I'd need to see the site in person.

Neponset Landing is ugly and misplaced in real life. It is TERRIBLY located. Retarded, but maybe would have worked somewhere else.

I drove past it this weekend and my only thought was, who would want to live here, stuck between a highway overpass and a train track? There is nothing within walking distance of this.
The first couple of floors are a parking garage.

Back