Reaction score
I guess this needs it own thread now.

BU Today said:
March 21, 2007
Study Sees New Campus Center Near BU Bridge
New transit hub would spur development
By Art Jahnke
ellipse_plan.jpg

The proposed ellipse (center) would pull together East Campus and West Campus and encourage development.

Last year Boston University leadership engaged the Toronto-based urban design firm Greenberg Consultants and CBT Architects of Boston to help envision the long-term development of the Charles River Campus. While Greenberg?s work is ongoing, the urban planner has proposed a key concept for the physical future of Boston University: a campus stretched along Commonwealth Avenue whose center is a grassy ellipse built over the Massachusetts Turnpike near the BU Bridge. Ken Greenberg, the principal of Greenberg Consultants, sees the ellipse as a powerful incentive for new academic, residential, and commercial development long into the future.

Although much of the imagined development would occur over decades, Greenberg?s study has some immediate implications, particularly for the development of transportation systems. It recommends, among other things, that state and city planners consider building near the BU Bridge a transportation hub that would connect the existing Commuter Rail line to the Green Line and to rapid transit buses traveling along the Urban Ring, a planned rapid transit route intended to link Boston?s universities and medical centers.

Boston University President Robert A. Brown says the proposed ellipse near the BU Bridge is an exciting concept for several reasons. The proposed transit hub would benefit the University and neighboring communities by providing faster and more convenient transportation to about 70,000 residents of Cambridge, Boston, and Brookline. Equally important, the hub would create an opportunity to design a more pedestrian-friendly flow of traffic in the area of the BU Bridge. That redesign would also encourage the development of commercial and retail space, as well as institutional space that would meet the needs of the University without requiring an expansion into neighboring communities.

Brown says the enormous long-term advantage of the ellipse is in providing a new center of gravity that would pull together East and West Campuses. Combined with efforts to reconnect with the Charles River, he says, the proposal could reknit communities that have long been split by highways and streets

Greenberg, whose projects include work on Brooklyn Bridge Park and Kendall Square, says the proposed ellipse and transit hub has the potential to create a vibrant community focal point in an area that is now a ?no-man?s-land.? He emphasizes that his yearlong study represents a strategic framework and not a fixed plan for development.

Gary Nicksa, BU vice president for operations, says ideas from the study involving connections to the Urban Ring have been presented to the state?s Executive Office of Transportation (EOT). University officials believed it was important, he says, in light of other proposals for Commuter Rail stops at alternative locations, for the state to consider the advantages of a location that could offer connections to the commuter train, the Green Line, and rapid transit buses, and that could unlock opportunities for commercial and retail development. Earlier this year, Harvard University proposed placing a Commuter Rail station at the current location of the Beacon Rail Yard, as part of Harvard?s large-scale expansion into Allston.

Nicksa says the University hoped the EOT would consider coordinating several current and proposed roadway improvement projects with the state?s master plan for the Urban Ring. He reports that the EOT and the state and local groups that had been briefed on the proposal have responded positively to the presentation?s vision for improved traffic flow, safety, and urban benefits.

Art Jahnke can be reached at jahnke@bu.edu.
Link

The Globe said:
BU planning new center for campus

By James Vaznis and Mac Daniel, Globe Staff | March 22, 2007

Boston University wants to transform a traffic-snarled area of Commonwealth Avenue near the BU Bridge into a new heart for its campus, including such features as a public transportation center, sidewalk cafes, stores, academic buildings, and housing.

University officials yesterday released a rough outline for redeveloping the BU Bridge area, a plan they see as a continuation of a $450 million building boom they began on their west campus nearly a decade ago and have almost completed. They are in the very early stages of developing the plan and have not yet decided how many buildings might be built or how traffic patterns on Commonwealth Avenue might change. There is no price tag, but officials said they expect to have a more detailed proposal within six months and development could occur over a 20-year period.

A public transportation center, which could include a Green Line stop and a new commuter rail stop, is likely to be the focal point, BU officials said. The center could make the campus more accessible to suburbanites, who could also use the stop as a link to nearby Fenway Park.

BU's desire to incorporate public transportation improvements into its redevelopment is part of an emerging trend among campuses in the Boston area that see public transportation as a potential economic boon and a vehicle to win state and federal aid for development efforts. Harvard University also is hoping transportation officials will approve a transit station for its Allston campus expansion, and Boston College is working with the state about moving a nearby Green Line station.

BU's ambitions for its campus follow a wave of college development across the Boston area, which has caused resistance from neighbors when dorms have been planned adjacent to their homes.

"Creating a strong identity in the heart of the campus on Commonwealth Avenue could really be a powerful thing in terms of allowing the campus to grow and evolve," said Ken Greenberg, principal of Greenberg Consultants Inc., a Toronto-based urban design firm hired by BU to work on the plan for the area. "This will go a long way in providing much better cohesion for the campus."

University officials said they consider the BU Bridge area a safety hazard and a "no-man's land" in the middle of the nearly 2-mile-long campus on Commonwealth Avenue. Some 60,000 vehicles drive through a maze of roadways, and students often choose to walk through the area, rather than taking the T, from the east side of campus to the west side.

BU's hope for the transportation aspects of its redevelopment plan hinges heavily on whether the Urban Ring Project goes forward. The project would create bus and light rail connections in an area one to two miles outside of Boston and link the additions to current MBTA services. But the status of the project, which began in 1996, is uncertain because it lacks funding for future phases. It would cost millions of dollars in road widening, equipment purchases, and expensive light rail lines. So far, the only major step has been to add more bus routes across town.

Boston University has always been discussed as being part of the Urban Ring, but no timelines and specifics have been established.

A state commission is expected to predict next week that the state could face a transportation budget shortfall of between $15 billion and $19 billion over the next 20 years to maintain its current infrastructure -- without any spending on new capital projects.

Erik Abell, a spokesman for the Executive Office of Transportation, said in an e-mail in response to Globe questions that the department has been working with BU on its vision for the BU Bridge area and is reviewing details to see how it might fit into the Urban Ring.

Greenberg said that based on his conversations with state transportation officials the Urban Ring Project sounded as though it would proceed. He said the timing was right for BU to unveil its vision for the BU Bridge area because the state is still determining the transportation system's path.

BU began examining ideas for the BU Bridge area six months ago to come up with ways to better connect the west side of its campus to the historic center of its east side, said Stephen Burgay , a university spokesman. In recent years, BU has built a dormitory, sports arena, and fitness center on the west side.

BU has spoken informally about its ideas for the BU Bridge area to Boston and Brookline officials as well as to some citizen groups, Burgay said.

BU officials have not yet decided what they want for the new heart of its campus to replace the historic center on the east side. But they said they would like to see a grassy area or plaza that could be a social hub in addition to the transportation center.

The concept could require changing the configuration of traffic flow on Commonwealth Avenue or the demolition of the old Cadillac building, a favorite among preservationists. BU would need the Boston Redevelopment Authority's approval to proceed with building plans.

Jeff Levine, Brookline's director of planning and community development, said BU's plan, while preliminary, is interesting.
Link
1174540014_7830.gif

The Herald said:
A new view for BU: One plan includes an 8-acre park over Pike
By Jay Fitzgerald
Boston Herald General Economics Reporter
Thursday, March 22, 2007 - Updated: 05:34 AM EST

Building a ?grassy ellipse? over the Mass Pike and a nearby major transportation center are among the proposals by Boston University to dramatically alter its sprawling urban campus in coming years.
The ?River Station? transportation center, near the foot of the BU bridge, could include stops for the Green Line, future Urban Ring bus service and, perhaps, the MBTA?s commuter rail line.
BU, which yesterday unveiled its long-term vision for its Commonwealth Avenue-strewn campus, stressed no plans are final - and city, state and even federal officials will be consulted as the school tries to redesign the way the campus is now laid out and focused.

But BU officials said yesterday they were excited about the prospect of major changes at the school, which now stretches about 2 miles from Kenmore Square up along Commonwealth Avenue.
The university recently hired the well-known Toronto firm Greenberg Consultants and CBT Architects of Boston to help develop a new vision for BU.
What they came up with is basically putting most of the central campus? focus on the area at the foot of the BU Bridge in Boston.
?It really would become the heart of the campus,? said Ken Greenberg, principal of Greenburg Consultants.
The heart of that heart would be an 8-acre or larger grass ellipse, or quad, built mostly over the Turnpike in an area that BU describes now as a ?no-man?s land.?
?There?s now just a gaping hole there,? said Greenberg, referring to where the Turnpike now goes under Commonwealth Avenue.
Nearby would be a major new transportation center that could tie together the Green Line, the future Urban Ring bus line and possibly the commuter rail center.
The ellipse and transportation center could also spark major development in the area, as the newly laid out campus takes shape, BU officials predicted.
No construction timetables or estimated costs were provided.
?It?s really very preliminary,? said Greenberg. ?What we?re trying to do is get a framework vision in place.?
Greenberg said the city of Boston, the Mass. Turnpike Authority and other government agencies would have to get involved.
?We?re not taking for granted BU will get the air rights? over the Pike, said Greenberg, noting the school would have to bid for the rights to build.
Susan Elsbree, a spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Agency, said Mayor Thomas M. Menino has been kept informed about BU?s plans - while adding that the proposals are only preliminary.
?But it could unlock some very exciting opportunities? in terms of open space and transportation improvements, she said.
The BU outline ?needs to be the subject of much public debate,? Elsbree added.
Link

When thinking about the Urban rink, I always thought that this was an interesting area. As we all know, the grand junction railroad bridge runs through there, but has no connection to the rest of the world. Also, the Worcster line passes through but doesnt stop until Yawkey (and not on all trips). Maybe they could even change the track so that cambridge trains could go to south station without an extended turnaround in the yards.

This project would be great for public transport.

On the University side, walking across this section is a pain in the ass. Theres traffic turning onto University Drive for storrow, a very narrow sidewalk (with turn lanes onto the BU bridge), the BU bridge itself, and then an unpleasant walk over the turnpike. Its not a friendly area for pedestrians or cars. Even the T gets slowed there as they wait for the long traffic light cycle.

Of course by tommorow I expect someone to complain about how the pike should be open air, or something absurd like that.

In the other thread someone mentioned that the air rights should be sold. The thing is, no one will ever buy that land. Storrow on one side, BU on the other, it's not economically viable. A park helps the community.

Now just wait a minute. That rendering of red blob is substantially larger than the area of green blob indicated by the bottom right red blob that i was envisioning.I thought the idea would be to fill in the moutfort street circle that goes around the pike that effecively creates a little hole on campus.

How they would do this, I don't know. All I know it would cost big bucks. Probably over 500kk. That's a huge area.

bosdevelopment said:
I thought the idea would be to fill in the moutfort street circle that goes around the pike that effecively creates a little hole on campus.

That's what I had thought too. And that land is in Brookline.

As I suggested for Fenway park, they should make a huge parking garage over the Pike with direct on off ramps to the Pike so commuters could park in the garage without clogging local streets. In addition they could park in the garage and hop on the Greenline.

It seems the Pike turnaround will not ever get built, this would be a good place to incorporate it.

In the other thread someone mentioned that the air rights should be sold. The thing is, no one will ever buy that land. Storrow on one side, BU on the other, it's not economically viable. A park helps the community.

I would think that two different parcels with frontage on both sides of Comm Ave would have quite a lot of value. BU is the obvious choice to develop them but they are not land locked or worthless.

Do you mean slingshot?

The "Pike turnaround"? You mean the slingshot? I thought that was just about finished, no? Or were/are there plans for a regular reverse-direction?

Some pics from the train rider's perspective:

picture007sc9.jpg

picture006pt2.jpg

picture008nc8.jpg

picture009rk1.jpg

I drove by the Pike at BU on my way from Park Dr. to the BU Bridge and realized how intrusive pike is at Peter Fuller Cadillac bldg. I went to BU in the early 70s as a commuter and never realized how much real estate was being wasted there. I suspect, and hope, that the university will move quickly in gaining that space and doing much to knit together the eastern and western parts of the campus. Forty years ago we simply ignored and endured the discomfort and ugliness of the campus. Since then BU has been working to create something more than a cluster of buildings along Comm. Ave. I only wish that they were able to build the replica "Boston Stump" Gothic tower that was supposed to be located behind Marsh Chapel.

Padre Mike said:
I only wish that they were able to build the replica "Boston Stump" Gothic tower that was supposed to be located behind Marsh Chapel.

are you talking about the Boston, England Stump? how cool would that be?! I saw the stump from the moors outside Boston once -- very dramatic given how flat the city is.

when was that proposed?

It was proposed with the original campus, courtesy of Ralph Adams Cram. I may be wrong here (read about it a long time ago), but I think the Depression is what did it in, and is also the reason why the earliest buildings weren't finished until the late '30s. Again though, I may be wrong.

Yes, the tower would have been a dramatic punctuation mark on the Charles, if built. That is why the buildings on either side of Marsh Chapel have those funny Gothic/Deco towers, one of which I believe contains either a carillon or bell (electronic?) connected to the chapel, which, of course was, in turn built as a part of the Methodist school of theology, the foundation of B.U. KZ is right about Ralph A. Cram designing the Gothic BU buildings and I believe it was the depression that did in the rest of the original campus design. It's interesting that BU really didn't recover architecturally for decades. When I went there, the many of my seminars and labs were held in old, converted industrial buildings (I still have nightmares about those buildings!) and most of our huge lectures were held in the synagogue (still used for high holy days at the time). I'm happy to see BU develop more cohesiveness in their overall design plan. They did not have the advantage that Northeastern had of building the entire campus from scratch.

here's a link to a picture of the Stump. http://www.zyra.org.uk/stump.htm

i don't remember the building too well (see too much gothic architecture as a twelve-year old and it starts to blur), but i climbed to the top and i remember the view being similar to what you get from the pru. Stump isn't that tall, but Boston, UK, is/was much lower than Boston, US.

Can't really imagine BU putting up a good facsimile of this thing -- not a hit on BU, just this kind of building is not simple, inexpensive, or low-skill. we don't build them like that anymore...[/url]

statler said:
University officials said they consider the BU Bridge area a safety hazard and a "no-man's land" in the middle of the nearly 2-mile-long campus on Commonwealth Avenue.
With a little positive thinking, the short BU Bridge could become the conduit for BU's expansion into Cambridge (dormitories, anyone?), thus making this intersection even more important. A decumanus to go with Comm Ave's too-attenuated cardo.

Located here should be the university bookstore and other retail on the ground floors of substantial classroom buildings.

Also the rail connection to MIT, East Cambridge and North Station should be activated, perhaps as LRT (single-track on the bridge).

Plan is a good beginning but doesn't go nearly far enough.

BU officials have not yet decided what they want for the new heart of its campus to replace the historic center on the east side. But they said they would like to see a grassy area or plaza that could be a social hub in addition to the transportation center.
Not much of a vision.

The concept could require changing the configuration of traffic flow on Commonwealth Avenue or the demolition of the old Cadillac building, a favorite among preservationists.
A nice building: they should build something both nicer and bigger to replace it.

Located here should be the university bookstore and other retail on the ground floors of substantial classroom buildings.

but this would take the Barnes & Noble out of Kenmore Square, where it is currently an asset to the urban environment.

^ Wouldn't want any competition for the fragile business ecosystem, eh? Always quivering on the verge of collapse? When will Boston develop some faith in its resilience? What happened to vision?

ablarc said:
^ Wouldn't want any competition for the fragile business ecosystem, eh? Always quivering on the verge of collapse?

Yes, if the fate of Harvard Sq. bookstores is anything to go by.

justin

The bu bookstore's location has long been complained of. It's a cool building and i, for one, take advantage of the top floors overlooking kenmore square for their quiet study. (Don't tell anyone I told you).

If this ever happened (20-25 years down the line) there's little doubt that the bookstore would be moved to the middle of campus. There's also little doubt that the entire framework of commonwealth avenue will have changed by then, and the urbanities the current bookstore finds itself amongst may move sprout up in this new development. Though they won't have the old-world charm the BU bookstore does, they will have the convenience.

Back