New Children's Hospital Buildings

stellarfun

Reaction score
Children's Hospital to Add Building
Boston Herald
March 11, 2009

Children's Hospital Boston plans to construct a 14-story building on Binney Street in the Longwood Medical Area.

The 112,000-square-foot addition to the main facility will expand emergency services, radiology and the operating room. Floors six through 10 will include 30 new hospital beds, bringing the total number to 415.

Construction is expected to start later this year.

Last year, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved a two- floor addition to the main building. But Charles Weinstein, the hospital's vice president, said the original project would have taken 30 months and put many beds out of service. Construction of the new building is expected to take 16 months.

Weinstein said the hospital intends to pay for the more than $100 million facility with capital budget funds. "When the credit markets ease, we will sell a tax-free bond," he said.
Boston Herald, March 11, 2009

Brookline Place

brplace_sm.jpg

Children's Hospital Boston is moving forward on the development of Two and Four Brookline Place in Brookline, Massachusetts.

Scheduled for completion in 2011, the new property will be used for Children's administrative offices and clinical office space.

The property currently consists of a 34,000-square-foot office and retail building. The hospital plans to demolish the building in 2009, to be followed by environmental remediation work.

Children's has received approval from the Town of Brookline Planning Board and are about to launch into the next phase of regulatory and permit process with the Zoning Board of Appeals this winter.
* eight stories, 115 feet tall
* 228,000 sq ft of space
* ground floor retail
* five levels of underground parking
* administrative offices and clinal space on upper floors

Construction to begin in mid 2009, and take 36 months. Suffolk is the contractor. TKA is the architect.

http://www.childrenshospital.org/about/Site1394/mainpageS1394P53sublevel100.html

Last edited:
very contextual. they have done a good job of capturing the highway office park feel of the neighborhood.

Huh, so that's all being demolished? I won't miss the Bertucci's, since they appear to have adopted the Legal Seafood model of expansion and are now ubiquitous. The bocce ball court was sweet, though.

Binney_350.gif

Children's expansion of it's main building (this faces Binney Street adjacent to Dana-Farber).

ablarc's extra ego? think about it. ablarc disasppears and so does czsz? vvvvvvery curious mis amigos. Pienso los dos no son los mismos...verdad

Vaguest. Render. Ever.

Actually, it isn't. Conceptual, perhaps. Not vague. Binney Street is in the forefront. It eliminates the Binney Street entrance to the main building's promenade. Knowing a thing or two about the location would make one understand. Simple as that.

We know nothing of the color or materials being used. It's not even clear what is glass and what is structural. I think it is fair to call that vague.

ablarc's extra ego? think about it. ablarc disasppears and so does czsz? vvvvvvery curious mis amigos. Pienso los dos no son los mismos...verdad

"I think the two are not the same...true"

English Suffolk thinks they are the same, Spanish Suffolk think they are not? Or is my translation bad?

I'm 99% sure they aren't the same, but who knows.

And yes. That is the vaguest render ever. If one hadn't put the project name and address in front of it, it would take an eternity for anyone to place it.

czsz is a student in Cambridge. Ablarc is a practicing architect down in the mid-Atlantic region. They are not the same.

Back