New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

extremely wealthy investors that happen to have ownership in other sports & entertainment capital ventures get to build those stadiums for their own private benefits by LEASING THEM for other venues, IOW those stand-alone soccer specific structures aren't soccer-specific that much ;) BTW Soccer-specific GEODIS park is hosting rock concerts this summer :devilish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodis_Park
We might just be arguing semantics. Of course the owners will try to get whatever fees from hosting other events they can. But these stadiums are built specifically for the game of soccer, to create more of a European club feel, so I don't think of them as "multi purpose venues" by design.

Geodis Park is the largest, soccer-specific stadium (at least when it was completed) in the US. It also has some great technology integrated to ensure that its primary tenant (soccer) puts out a great product. The ownership group was also gifted a 99-year ground lease of 10 acres of land around the stadium for residential and commercial development. It is also directly next to the oldest continually operating auto racing track in the country (Fairgrounds Speedway which Nascar is trying to return to and soccer ownership appears to be fighting against) and the Nashville Fairgrounds which hosts multiple events every month.

I think I understand the "white elephant" comment because these stadiums do need to have a multi-use component as a big element, but the primary driver for these structures is the specific sport. I believe the models (financial, social, etc) for European stadiums is also very different than the US models so it isn't completely fair to look at European stadiums and say "do this".

I keep reading contradicting statements about how close this actually could be.

This is as close of a slam duck as possible. A direct connection to the orange line (via bridge) and a CR stop next door to Encore (I know there’s an issue with the slop of the bridge over the river) are the only things short of making this an A+ idea.

I can’t really think of another area in the region that the stadium should be placed in…

I keep reading contradicting statements about how close this actually could be.

This is as close of a slam duck as possible. A direct connection to the orange line (via bridge) and a CR stop next door to Encore (I know there’s an issue with the slop of the bridge over the river) are the only things short of making this an A+ idea.

I can’t really think of another area in the region that the stadium should be placed in…
I give you the Dorchester Bay site--access to red line and 93

The so-called Crosstown site (across the street from BPD headquarters) is still available and would be served by three commuter rail lines, Orange Line, and sort of E-Line, not to mention more than a dozen bus routes. It is a far better location in my opinion, but the city continues to look for a unicorn housing, commerce, and cultural center development.

More of a crazy pitch, and probably not suitable for the size of the proposed stadium, but what about Lederman Park?

You wont get the neighborhood associations on board with that in a million years. Complete non starter there
Totally--but it's a great location. Everett is drafting off of Boston and the impacts on Boston will be primarily negitive (traffic) while Everett benifits from the $. It's a good example of why we need regional planning

The so-called Crosstown site (across the street from BPD headquarters) is still available and would be served by three commuter rail lines, Orange Line, and sort of E-Line, not to mention more than a dozen bus routes. It is a far better location in my opinion, but the city continues to look for a unicorn housing, commerce, and cultural center development.
This is an interesting idea--it's also near existing sports complexes like the one at Roxbury Community college. Honestly, this makes way more sense than the White Stadium plan (IMO)

I think the city thinks that with land they own they should be trying to correct issues that developers don't address--like affordable housing. I'm generally opposed to public money (in this case, in the form of land) going to support the very rich owners of sports teams so it's tough to see this as a better option. Maybe if they paid market rate for the land and then built the stadium on their own dime

I'm generally opposed to public money (in this case, in the form of land) going to support the very rich owners of sports teams so it's tough to see this as a better option. Maybe if they paid market rate for the land and then built the stadium on their own dime
To be clear, that's exactly what I have in mind, I wouldn't want the city to subsidize anything. But the location is good, and if they were to sell it for the right number, it could be a win for all involved.

Back