New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Stadiums are neighborhood killers. Both this and the Charlestown proposals should be nixed.

Wrigley Field seems to be a counterexample to your statement. A real neighborhood seems to be gradually developing around Fenway as well.

Ron Newman said:
A real neighborhood seems to be gradually developing around Fenway as well.

Only took a hundred years...and the area is still absolutely abysmal.

Well, it's not like an industrial park and a 4 lane highway next to another highway are exactly the best neighborhoods. If you had to put a stadium anywhere I'd say these are your best bets.

Stadiums are neighborhood killers.

Football stadia more than any, which is why New Yorkers so vigorously opposed plans for one on the West Side of Manhattan (and why I'm glad a Patriots stadium was never built in Boston...underutilized space like that is best kept out in Foxboro). A small stadium with frequent use and concert value near transit might be a boon to any neighborhood, though. The Bank of America Pavillion is doing more for the Seaport right now than anything other than the ICA.

American soccer is pointless. American sports fans like two things-lots of action, lots of goal scoring. Between the two start up leagues going on in the country, lacrosse seems a lot more likely of a sport to build a new stadium for. The Boston Cannons have the highest attendance out of all MLL teams, and they play out of Harvard Stadium. Maybe they should build one?

Stadium killers? I think not. Fenway is becoming a great place to live. Stadiums can make or break a neighborhood. If done right, they make it. In a sports city like Boston it would be easy, especially for Kraft. He's got resources to pull in sports bars, hotels, and other commercial uses around the stadium. TD Banknorth Garden didn't kill the neighborhood, even though it's mostly surrounded by highway. There are a lot of good sports bars and condos near it. The Archmont or Avenel or A something or other ones are nice. I'll stop, if it goes too long people won't read.

kennedy said:
American soccer is pointless. American sports fans like two things-lots of action, lots of goal scoring. Between the two start up leagues going on in the country, lacrosse seems a lot more likely of a sport to build a new stadium for. The Boston Cannons have the highest attendance out of all MLL teams, and they play out of Harvard Stadium. Maybe they should build one?

Maybe both teams can play in the stadium? :?: :wink:

kennedy said:
American soccer is pointless.

That's your opinion. I find opinon based generalizations pointless.

American sports fans like two things-lots of action, lots of goal scoring.

The NHL has lots of action doesn't it? It's been opened up and scoring is higher than it's been in years. Tell me, how relevant is the NHL across the country? Did you see the ratings for the Stanley Cup finals?

When you generalize you look like an idiot. I'm an American sports fan and because I'm a "SPORTS" fan I can appreciate more than lots of goals and "lots of action". You must not be a Red Sox/baseball fan then because there's not a ton of action in a baseball game is there?

Between the two start up leagues going on in the country, lacrosse seems a lot more likely of a sport to build a new stadium for.

Really? How many lacrosse teams have their own stadiums, built specifically for them? Does MLL have their own television deal? Their own radio deals? If not, it hardly makes sense to build a stadium specifically for a sport that doesn't have major revenue and backing behind it.

The Boston Cannons have the highest attendance out of all MLL teams, and they play out of Harvard Stadium. Maybe they should build one?

How many fans do they draw? I can gaurentee it's not more than the Revolution draw to Gilette which in itself might be the worst venue in the MLS to watch a game.

It's clear to see that you dislike soccer and are a fan of lacrosse. Your favoritism however bleeds through the logic that is clear when you're comparing the two leagues.

I went to a Revolution game recently and was disappointed by a few things:
1) Long drive to Gillette Stadium. Would love to have a stadium in the Boston area, especially at a public transit site.
2) Tickets were only sold to 1/2 of the lower bowl area, which made the stadium feel really empty, despite there being 14k fans at the game. They only sell tickets to the side that the TV cameras are pointed at.
3) The Revs play on the synthetic field turf, which I think is awful for soccer. Its fine for football since most of the action involves running without the ball touching the ground. But I think that surface is terrible for soccer where the ball is on the ground most of the time.

Isn't there commuter rail service to Gillette?

Not for Revolution games. The T tried running trains, and then later tried running buses instead, and there apparently wasn't enough ridership for either.

BostonSkyGuy said:
kennedy said:
American soccer is pointless.

That's your opinion. I find opinon based generalizations pointless.

American sports fans like two things-lots of action, lots of goal scoring.

The NHL has lots of action doesn't it? It's been opened up and scoring is higher than it's been in years. Tell me, how relevant is the NHL across the country? Did you see the ratings for the Stanley Cup finals?

When you generalize you look like an idiot. I'm an American sports fan and because I'm a "SPORTS" fan I can appreciate more than lots of goals and "lots of action". You must not be a Red Sox/baseball fan then because there's not a ton of action in a baseball game is there?

Between the two start up leagues going on in the country, lacrosse seems a lot more likely of a sport to build a new stadium for.

Really? How many lacrosse teams have their own stadiums, built specifically for them? Does MLL have their own television deal? Their own radio deals? If not, it hardly makes sense to build a stadium specifically for a sport that doesn't have major revenue and backing behind it.

The Boston Cannons have the highest attendance out of all MLL teams, and they play out of Harvard Stadium. Maybe they should build one?

How many fans do they draw?

1. I'm a fan of American soccer. I'd rather watch FIFA.

2. I can't lie, I like lacrosse more. But I'm also saying, as a country, Americans want lots of scoring, and lots of action (contact, whole team running). Comparing MLL to the NHL is a good point. In terms of scoring, MLL games have 10-20 points a game average. NHL, 3-7. In a soccer game, at a given time, 4-5 players are running, the rest are jogging up a giant field. Lacrosse has a smaller field, with a much faster pace.

3. MLL has multiple TV deals, with national networks (ESPN 2) and regional networks (COX in Rhode Island, FSN in Boston).

4. The Boston Cannons draw average 10,000 fans fer game, up to 12,000 for the MLL All Star game, which is often in Boston because the MLL is HQ'ed here.

5. Your right, many teams don't have their own fields. That's why I was so strong on my point that the Cannons need their own field. The Chicago Machine play from the aforementioned Toyota Park. Denver shares with the Invesco Field at Mile High (which doesn't work). Long Island plays at a suburban athletic complex. LA has the same type of deal. My point is, as the league leader, Boston should set an example by building their own field. I have no problem with them sharing it with the Revs.

kennedy said:
1. I'm a fan of American soccer. I'd rather watch FIFA.

Well technically American Soccer (MLS) is FIFA. FIFA is the governing body of soccer. FIFA has rules and guidelines that each league follows and abides by and being under the FIFA "umbrella" if you will, is important for any league to be successful.

The reason the MLS is even around is because in order to bring the World Cup to the U.S. in '94, they wanted America to have a FIFA sanctioned "tier one" type league and build up interest in the game which they've done a good job doing, although it's not as big now as I think they hoped it'd be by now.

I take it you meant that you're a fan of the MLS but would rather watch the other leagues like the Premiership (English) or Serie A (Italian). To be honest, I'm more of a fan of the Serie A than the MLS, with my "main" team that I follow being from that league. The MLS is enjoyable to watch from time to time but I can't bring myself to go to a game at Gilette for all the reasons SMW listed.

MLL has multiple TV deals, with national networks (ESPN 2) and regional networks (COX in Rhode Island, FSN in Boston).

I know that it's televised, I guess my point was that the revenue generated from the TV deals isn't great enough to sustain building new stadiums. If the owners want to grow the sport, I take it your stance would be that they start with lacrosse specific stadiums, especially in the Hub (no pun intended) of the MLL: Boston.

I don't know though that it'd work to share a stadium with the Revs simply because the size of the field the sports are played on are significantly different. Plus they play at the same time, so the field would really take a beating.

10,000 a game? I didn't think it was close to that number. I had read that in most places it was around two to four thousand max. I've watched some games on TV where it didn't even seem close to those numbers.

I'm not against MLL or lacrosse at all (I was actually a decent lax player in HS), I just think it's still at a stage where the sport needs to grow in order for the league to grow into what it could be. Soccer is almost easier to build a league for in the U.S. (and you're seeing it's not "easy" at all) because it's popular in other countries outside here. Lacrosse is primarly a U.S. sport so I don't know if that hurts or helps it in terms of growth.

Yeah, less popular teams get 2-4 a game. The revs got 9,995 their last game. league average is around eight. the NCAA champs sold out the the ravens NFL stadium this year. and the mll started a few years ago.

I was a little surprised to find out how many fans attended the most recent Boston Cannons game, but I bet it helps that they place right in the city.

"...Boston overcame that early deficit and rallied for a 17-16 victory over the Lizards in an Eastern Conference game in front of 9,229 fans at Harvard Stadium."
http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/news/pressreleases/index.html?article_id=742

Last Revolution game had attendance of 12,618
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=26666&pcid=115

The revs have one of the lower attendances in the league, it doesnt help how far away and inaccessible Gilette is.

A stadium eneds to be in the city. Toronto built one downtown and they sell out 20,000 every single game. Meanwhile, other teams who built in the suburbs (Pizza Hut Park for Dallas) dont sell out but do a respectable 15,000.

New York red bulls are building a larger stadium, 25-30,000.

Revs need to hurry up, because soon theyll be the only team in the league without a stadium. Anywhere in the city is fine, as long as it has subway access.

(And it better have a damn roof)

Back