New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Ugh god please no! They look so out of place and antiquated with all of the new, modern development going up around it. When they're out in a suburban setting, fine, but they are eyesore here. With expensive hotel rooms around, who wants a view staring out at smokestacks?? I used to wonder, 20 years ago, if it was possible to surround the stacks with "building-looking" coverings to disguise them, but now that they're not being used, just tear them the hell down!
Woof, totally disagree.

@JeffDowntown is almost certainly correct that these structures won’t survive the environmental remediation process, the costs will probably be prohibitive. But if done well it could be iconic.

Non-Serious Stretch goal: I want the smokestack to poof every time a goal is scored.

Woof, totally disagree.

@JeffDowntown is almost certainly correct that these structures won’t survive the environmental remediation process, the costs will probably be prohibitive. But if done well it could be iconic.

Non-Serious Stretch goal: I want the smokestack to poof every time a goal is scored.

Interestingly the smoke stacks at battersea arent the originals, they demoed the old ones and built new stacks with roughly the same detailing. I’m guessing this was done due to the hazards in the old stacks. They actually put an observation deck in the top of one of the stacks.

You can see it at the top right.
1710444778161.jpeg

Close up
1710444707126.jpeg

I came across a picture at night with smoke coming out one of the stacks so maybe your idea could work lol.
1710444953355.jpeg

Anyways I dont think they should keep all of them but the 3 that are behind the grey building would be pretty cool.

Ok well who knew there were people who felt passionately about keeping this ugly Lowell-from-the-1800s-looking eyesore around.
View attachment 48591
Yes, this really should have been leveled for some office park caliber architecture and a soccer field that gets maybe a few dozen days of use.

Fortunately for you this region lacks the population and resources to undertake such a project.
I get the sarcasm here, and no one has proposed "office park architecture" here but rather a stadium which will a million percent get used FAR more than "a few dozen days", as there will be concerts and countless other events there, along with hotels and many other businesses. I'm not sure what lack of population you're speaking of, as a metro region of over 6 million people is certainly enough to support this, but yea, sure let's keep a decrepit building that's maybe 100' tall and useless toxic towers around on land that is waterfront with amazing views, and turn it into, what, the office park you were speaking of? Because that's about all a rehab of the existing building could ever be. And what a money maker that will be for the city! Oh maybe they can put an observation tower on top of one of the smokestacks and bring in, what, thousands of dollars annually! And putting the pictures of an ugly "transformation" of an old power plant in another city is not selling your point, in my opinion.

View attachment 48591
Yes, this really should have been leveled for some office park caliber architecture and a soccer field that gets maybe a few dozen days of use.

Fortunately for you this region lacks the population and resources to undertake such a project.
And how often is the property full of people on warm sunny days?

Where abandoned power generating stations have been re-purposed and reconstructed to a new use, it is typically the turbine room that is saved, not that part of the structure that contained the boilers. See Tate Modern, right down the river from Battersea. See South Boston power plant. Battersea and a few others are the exceptions.

I believe that Exelon Mystic station is part of the footprint for the proposed soccer stadium. Can't have both.

Woof, totally disagree.

Well, they could always float some inflated pigs above the smokestacks as aa Pink Floyd tribute.

816CGNnfMAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ok well who knew there were people who felt passionately about keeping this ugly Lowell-from-the-1800s-looking eyesore around.

I get the sarcasm here, and no one has proposed "office park architecture" here but rather a stadium which will a million percent get used FAR more than "a few dozen days", as there will be concerts and countless other events there, along with hotels and many other businesses. I'm not sure what lack of population you're speaking of, as a metro region of over 6 million people is certainly enough to support this, but yea, sure let's keep a decrepit building that's maybe 100' tall and useless toxic towers around on land that is waterfront with amazing views, and turn it into, what, the office park you were speaking of? Because that's about all a rehab of the existing building could ever be. And what a money maker that will be for the city! Oh maybe they can put an observation tower on top of one of the smokestacks and bring in, what, thousands of dollars annually! And putting the pictures of an ugly "transformation" of an old power plant in another city is not selling your point, in my opinion.

I mean you dont even have to look far to see a pretty nice example, 776 summer st in southie is repurposing the old power plant into a mixed use neighborhood. I think the fact that theyre repurposing existing old structures on the site makes it more interesting than it would have been without.

1710478067512.jpeg

keeping the three smoke stacks and incorporating them in to the stadium would make it instantly iconic.
Otherwise it'll just be another 25k MLS stadium.

I mean you dont even have to look far to see a pretty nice example, 776 summer st in southie is repurposing the old power plant into a mixed use neighborhood. I think the fact that theyre repurposing existing old structures on the site makes it more interesting than it would have been without.

View attachment 48606
Yes keeping part of the main building and remodeling it and repurposing it I can see, but keeping any of the smokestacks just adds nothing to the skyline imo. To incorporate one or two into the stadium itself as a nod, I guess maybe if done right...

Yes keeping part of the main building and remodeling it and repurposing it I can see, but keeping any of the smokestacks just adds nothing to the skyline imo. To incorporate one or two into the stadium itself as a nod, I guess maybe if done right...
It really depends on what is required to site the stadium on the site, including the need to cap the soil for remidiation, and raise the site for flood resiliency.

If the stadium design could incorporate part of the main building as an entry portal, for example., it might be interesting. But only if it doesn't compromise the stadium design for its real purpose.

I realize the barriers, but it would definitely be a shame to lose all of these buildings. There’s the foundations for an awesome adaptive reuse project.

Cool renovation of a power plant down in Savannah that opened a couple years back below. The hotel is stunning. You can’t recreate this stuff today.

Plant Riverside District, Savannah Ga

IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1195.jpeg
IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1198.jpeg
IMG_1199.jpeg
IMG_1200.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg

I realize the barriers, but it would definitely be a shame to lose all of these buildings. There’s the foundations for an awesome adaptive reuse project.

Cool renovation of a power plant down in Savannah that opened a couple years back below. The hotel is stunning. You can’t recreate this stuff today.

Plant Riverside District, Savannah Ga

View attachment 48640View attachment 48641View attachment 48642View attachment 48643View attachment 48644View attachment 48645View attachment 48646View attachment 48647View attachment 48648
I am a bigtime fan of the adaptive reuse of buildings, particularly industrial buildings. My question is: Batterysea and the S. Boston plant and others have fairly interesting architectual features, but this thing -- the smokestacks are cool and tall and I think would be cool to preserve those somehow, but the main structure(s) is/are pretty... meh.

Last edited:

Back