new FBI Boston headquaters

PaulC

Reaction score
How did this miss the forum?

Any suggestions as to where a new building could go?
FBI looks for new digs: Wanted: More space, unified headquarters
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - Updated: 05:55 AM EST

In a major move to consolidate operations in Boston, the FBI is seeking proposals from developers to build a new local headquarters that could house hundreds of workers.

The federal agency is looking for 275,000 square feet of office space, a spokeswoman for the General Services Administration said. This would make the FBI one of the largest new prospective tenants in the market.

In addition to seeking proposals for a new FBI headquarters, GSA spokeswoman Paula Santangelo said the agency will take out ads in local media outlets early next month seeking offers from developers with space for lease in existing buildings.

South Boston waterfront developer John Drew, who teamed up with Fidelity to build out the World Trade Center complex, already tried to lure the FBI to the waterfront a few years ago.

Now he?d like another shot.

Drew will begin construction later this year on Waterside Place, a giant hotel, retail, office and cinema complex near Boston?s new convention center.

?I think most people would take a look (at the FBI),? Drew said. ?It?s a government lease. It doesn?t get much better than that.?

The FBI is dealing with a steady expansion of its local office over the last few years, Santangelo said. It is seeking nearly an additional 100,000 square feet, with the agency now occupying 180,000 square feet.

Meanwhile, the agency is looking to consolidate a number of offices around the Boston area - including its Center Plaza headquarters across Cambridge Street from City Hall - into one new central location.

While security concerns have been raised about the FBI?s current quarters, Santangelo said the need for more office space is what is driving the search.

Still, taking space in a new development or having a new headquarters built specifically for it could give the agency the power to tailor the design to fit its security needs, observers said.

http://business.bostonherald.com/realestateNews/view.bg?articleid=182826

Put it in Burlington, or Framingham, or Waltham. I don't see how this could possibly bring anything positive to downtown Boston.

(for the matter, has the FBI ever done anything good for our city?)

I agree, Ron. The FBI, with their security requirements, ought to be located somewhere in suburbia. Imagine a new headquarters building with barriers around the perimeter of the building. That does not make for a good streetscape. Just look at the Federal Reserve and the O'Neill Federal buildings.

I think they should be kept downtown, but put them somewhere in the middle of an undevelopable area. Like in the middle of a Greenway Park parcel. Then you can have the area around it be a nice park, and integrate some sort of barriers as decoration (seats, boulders, something).

no tunnels

The FBI won't allow it to be built above any underground tunnels.

FBI in the middle of the Greenway? Sorry, dude, but I along with 99% of Boston would be against it.

ZenZen said:
I agree, Ron. The FBI, with their security requirements, ought to be located somewhere in suburbia. Imagine a new headquarters building with barriers around the perimeter of the building. That does not make for a good streetscape. Just look at the Federal Reserve and the O'Neill Federal buildings.

Some good examples of security around building that look decent are: 100 Federal, Hancock Tower, One Financial, and One Lincoln

Put it on Melnea Cass Blvd. someplace. Close to crime and Highways. No tunnels. No neighbors. Everybody wins.

Or, put it on the parcel across the street from the Police HQ. Wait, that's close to me....

Put it in Somerville where the theater just closed.

Please don't put it in Somerville. We want Assembly Square to become an urban neighborhood and a major source of tax revenue.

There is plenty of space available in the Federal Reserve Building. Plus right now that building is mostly comprised of Embassy's and other agencies require high security.

How much space do they require? Looking up their location, I see they occupy "suite 600" of 1 Centre Plaza.. doesn't exactly sound like they need a ton of room.

According to the article, they are looking for 275,000 sq. feet of space.

The Federal Reserve building would be really good choice, provided space became available. It may even be a GSA-owned building and it's sufficiently hardened. But if not there, I say send them to 128.

If the FBI is going to expand operations here, it definitely should be located outside of the downtown area of the city, in a building that hides its existence.

chumbolly said:
The Federal Reserve building would be really good choice, provided space became available. It may even be a GSA-owned building and it's sufficiently hardened. But if not there, I say send them to 128.
GSA doesn't build buildings for the Fed. The Fed is a self-financing monopoly and no need to resort to the GSA and Congressional appropriations for its buildings. The Fed has been known to sell its buildings, and do a leaseback.

The Herald said:
Fibbies will have to spend plenty for ?fortress? Hub office complex
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The FBI?s prowess in nabbing assorted criminals and even gangsters (Whitey Bulger excepted) is well known.
But the bureau?s search for a new Hub headquarters makes one wonder whether the federal crime fighters have been paying much attention to the world just outside their downtown Boston offices.
Currently a tenant in rented offices, the FBI wants to build its own fortress somewhere in or near the city?s tower district.
In Detroit, no problem. But in Boston, which boasts some of the most expensive real estate on the planet, the FBI?s dream headquarters could prove to be very costly.

How costly? Anywhere from $150 million to $300 million, according to estimates by local real estate executives.
?They will be paying a premium for the kind of land this would require, but it buys them the kind of security (they want), which is priceless,? said David Begelfer, head of the local chapter of the National Assocation of Industrial and Office Properties. ?Certainly it?s going to be expensive.?
On the FBI?s wish list: A free-standing, 270,000-square-foot bunker, with 100-foot setbacks from the curb.
The complex could need anywhere from five to 10 acres, giving it a footprint roughly the size of Fenway Park [map].
That kind of big-government dreaming comes amid a historic run-up in Boston commercial property and land prices.
Hub land prices have skyrocketed, especially along South Boston?s waterfront, an area that has the only large tracts of available land near downtown Boston.
Here?s an inkling of what the FBI is up against if it wants to build near Pier 4 and the new federal courthouse.
Waterfront developer Joseph Fallon bought the Fan Pier development site for $115 million in 2005, while an investment group led by Boston tower builder John Hynes spent $200 million for a 24-acre swath of parking lots across the street. That?s just for the land, with construction plans to build out both sites easily running into the billions.
Another option would be to simply move to a more secure - and already built - high-rise in Boston, like the ultra-secure Federal Reserve tower, which rents out a third of its roughly 1 million square feet to other tenants.
Or how about simply moving out to Route 128 and retrofitting a corporate complex there? Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than building in downtown Boston.
Such common sense ideas don?t necessarily make sense in Washington, D.C., where the shots on this deal will be ultimately called.
Moving to the ?burbs would move jobs out of the city and anger some of the local pols.
That would require nothing short of a special dispensation from the local congressmen, I?m told.

sbvanvoorhis@bostonherald.com
Link

"Fibbies" :roll:
Christ, I hate the Herald.

Ive written before that the Hurley Building would be absolutely perfect for the FBI. Menino had tried shopping it around to Suffolk as an alternative to their Beacon Hill dorm proposal, so Im assuming it's available.

Back