new HOV lane on 93

I've always been surprised that isn't a big push to have two electrified commuter tracks in this corridor. With the risk of terrorism or any kind of breakdown this the only backup for the south commuter rail and the Excela.

I don't understand -- how could the south commuter rail or Acela trains use these Old Colony tracks as a backup? Or are you referring to the Fairmount Line?

Sorry, I was mixing it up with the indigo line.

I don't understand the point of having 2 separate HOV lanes. Having people exit out of the original and then have a gap between the 2 will be a mess.

The reason the HOV lanes don't have high volumes is simple, the ones in and around Boston are a joke and can be pointless.

I have always though having an elevated HOV lane above 93 from the Braintree split to South Bay would be the most ideal situation. It would allow for 4 lanes to be operating in both directions at all times.

How about the fix the dozens and dozens of lights along 93 that simply don't work. It looks pretty bad when 1 out of 8 lights are actually on.

The presenter explained why but I don't remember. I think it should be one long lane too. When, if, the project moves forward all options will be studied including an elevated HOV lane. Don't forget it would have to clear the bridges.

That 4% of drivers who benefit.

That 4% is vehicles not people and includes buses.

Take a look at the Katy Freeway (I-10) west of Houston. They did exactly that and they tolled it. I think that the HOV lane should be elevated since one of my biggest pet-peeves when I would borrow my roommate's car to get to work on occasion was hitting inbound traffic jams at 4pm because there's just too much capacity on the road for three lanes.

http://www.katyfreeway.org/

So, build it up and charge a fee to use it. I think a good number of people would use it if took them from the Braintree split to at least the Fortress building and not mind a charge.

Expanding the highway sideways is just asinine.

I've always been surprised that isn't a big push to have two electrified commuter tracks in this corridor. With the risk of terrorism or any kind of breakdown this the only backup for the south commuter rail and the Excela.

The Old Colony lines have clearances for electrification because they were electrified for a short time a century ago. That's main reason you'd have to build tunnel clearances near Savin to support electrification. Tunnel's going to be in use for over 100 years before it needs a full rehab...chances are pretty good that in years 50-100 you're going to have electric trains on those lines. There's no demand for it in our lifetimes, though. Greenbush, Kingston/Plymouth, and Middleboro wouldn't have anywhere near the traffic levels even with double-tracking to support electrification, and there'd be no Amtrak service. Cape Cod's the only destination intercity trains would be interested in, and that and points south of Middleboro are all accessible from the NEC via a cutoff branch at Attleboro.

Fairmount...yes, that's a good electrification candidate. Amtrak's not going to run on it because it misses Back Bay, and they're not totally tapped for NEC space yet. There's still an unused 4th track berth between Readville and Forest Hills that's an easy reactivation, separating out Franklin trains earlier from Providence/Stoughton traffic. Only obstacle is the current Hyde Park outbound platform was paved on top of that track 25 years ago so there was bigger waiting area. Platform can easily get moved back a few feet to its old spot with narrower confines (not many trains stop there to begin with).

Amtrak is tapped out of space at Southampton yard where all the electrics go, and have said they need a second more spacious facility within 15 years to support traffic growth. Readville's the only open space that makes sense, so the straight shot between Southampton and Readville for yard moves is attractive to them. Add that plus MBTA revenue traffic on it and you've got levels that well justify electrification on such a short connector. I bet we see it done in 12-15 years when Amtrak's ready to build a new yard.

I've always felt Massachusetts should be more like Texas.

I drive the Expressway three to four times a week. I'm either going to Boston or to NH, Maine, Merrimack Valley, etc. The HOV does not work. It only causes headaches by slowing everyone down at the DYC in the morning and at the Split in the afternoon. Cars with RI plates crossing three lanes of traffic at the Split knocks traffic back to East Milton Square. Accidents occur constantly with cars needing to slow down to switch lanes suddenly. Also, did you ever notice that traffic jams usually end with the cessation of the HOV lane north of Savin Hill, or just after 10, when the lane is closed, and there still is high volume?

I would love to take the commuter rail to Boston. I would just have to forget seeing my children for most of the year. It takes 115 minutes to go from Marshfield to the Pru by car / train / subway or 60 minutes by car alone. When you bill by the hour, it adds up. Also, with parking being reimbursed, it is cheaper to drive. Sometimes a car is the answer.

The HOV lane for the Expressway is a bad idea that needs to be killed off. The latest demographic to use the lane is cops, cops' families, EMTs and their families, etc. People mount their, or a relative's flourescent green "first responder" jackets on the passenger seat so the trooper at Savin Hill in the afternoon can wave them into the lane. Thereby allowing single occupant vehicles to use the lane, just not you or I. Like another good intention; HP Parking Placards, the good idea is being abused, thereby diluting the benefit for those who actually need the benefit.

What would make the Expressway go faster and avoid the need for HOV lanes? A redesign of the Neponset Circle on and off ramps would make a lot more sense to improve traffic flow. Traffic is slowed by the slow crawl of the off ramp southbound onto Galivan Blvd. The slow curve needed to be taken and the messy yield light in front of the car wash backs up the two right hand lanes of the Expressway, causing a mass slowdown.

The northbound traffic could use a faster speed up lane with possibly a bump out over parts of the Braintree tracks and a part of Tenean Street. This would create hell for the limited amount of people who get off at the gas tank, but a closure of this exit during rush hour could be tempered by forcing traffic up Morrissey Blvd., go to the Globe and bang a youie to get into the parts of Dorchester that is served by the offramp.

The simple process of the forcing traffic around the rotary at the Columbia Road offramps has sped up traffic flow and reduced backups on southbound traffic, and I cannot recall any pedestrians being killed since the new configuration. At least two pedestrians were killed in the 15 years before the switch to active, as opposed to passive signals.

Extending an HOV lane around Southampton Street and Savin Hill makes no sense and is only a MassDOT jobs creator. Its a bad idea. You do not increase air supply by choking a chokehold.

Back