New infrastructure bill

I heard some blurb on TV about New Hampshire using the infrastructure funds for commuter rail, but I can't find anything additional. Has anyone heard if the infrastructure funds might kick-off Manchester commuter rail..........NOT the Amtrak version that I've heard tossed around too.

The current inflationary environment is definitely hurting the chances of that bill passing.

I'm confused. Does the current inflationary environment have the ability to travel back in time to a week and a half ago when this bill already was passed?

I'm confused. Does the current inflationary environment have the ability to travel back in time to a week and a half ago when this bill already was passed?

I was thinking of the build back better act, not the infrastructure bill.

This press release from yesterday offers a good snapshot of the dollar figures for each program that MA will expect to receive from the BIL. It does require careful reading; as written it tends to conflate prior spending and reauthorizations with new money. Mostly, it appears to be using Federal dollars to fund previously programmed state funded projects. As part of this, MassDOT has published lists of what it intends to spend it's Formula BIL funding on: this is the published list of Road and pedestrian projects, as well as this list of bridges. It's mostly being spent on relatively small SOGR/ maintenance items, but does fully fund the 495/90 interchange using mostly federal instead of state funds.

Overall, the MBTA now has $580M for new programs which it is MBTA is currently reviewing options for investing the $580 million in the BIL’s additional formula funding, but that'll apparently mostly go to SOGR efforts. (Ooc, 2 years ago the backlog was $10.1B. With the OL, RL fleet renewals and GLT, how are we doing 2.5 years later?)

It does include the following snippet about EW rail, which sounds very intriguing if Albany is truly in the picture.
Given productive negotiations with CSX to enable increased passenger service, the Commonwealth intends to work with Amtrak to compete for funds to invest in service improvements between Springfield and Worcester as an initial step to expand service between Boston and Albany.

Presumably, and hopefully, by using Federal funds this way MassDOT has thus freed up state funds for programs that don't fit into the federal funding formula?

Last edited:
It does include the following snippet about EW rail, which sounds very intriguing if Albany is truly in the picture.

I could very well be wrong, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Amtrak refused to operate E-W rail unless it terminated in Albany, as opposed to Springfield or Pittsfield.

I could very well be wrong, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Amtrak refused to operate E-W rail unless it terminated in Albany, as opposed to Springfield or Pittsfield.

Makes sense. Albany is already a crew base with a full locomotive maintenance facility.

That would surprise me, as they seem more interested in Inland Route than Albany.

Back