New Lansdowne St.

We are completely sold out for this show, it soled out in less than 5 minutes. The Dropkicks have advertised the show as "come help us tear the place down". Anyways I've had to bring back a lot of our old security for that one show. I'm sure it's going to be one of the best shows I have ever worked.

Avalon Axis and all of the clubs on Lansdowne St. have meant so much to me over the past 4.5 years. I'm very sad to see it come to an end. I don't even think I has fully hit me yet.

No, Jass..........They are going to the Roxy over on Tremont street

Unfortunately most of them probably wont be going to the Roxy. The Roxy has had their capacity cut down to around 750 because of 13 pages of violations over the last year.

Capacity crunch could force Roxy cancellations

By Michael Marotta | Wednesday, September 26, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage
The Roxy?s capacity is on the rocks, which means some of the big-name acts booked to play there this fall may have to cancel.

The Herald reported yesterday that the Roxy?s usual 1,300-person capacity made it the logical venue for concerts that normally would have gone to Avalon and Axis, the two Lansdowne Street clubs soon to be closed for renovation.

But Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s office said yesterday the Theater District hotspot is currently allowed less than 800 people. In May, the city put the Roxy on probation and lowered its capacity by more than 500 for all public events.

?They?re not allowed to have any more than 775 people in the club,? said Dot Joyce, the mayor?s spokeswoman.

Joyce said the crowd limit will be reviewed when the probation ends in November, but it?s not likely to be increased.

?It?s not in the foreseeable future that the capacity will change,? Joyce said, citing 13 pages of incidents at the club in the past year, including assault and battery charges within the club and unruly crowds along Tremont Street after 2 a.m.

At 775 patrons, the Roxy is only slightly larger than the Paradise Rock Club and considerably smaller than Axis, which held roughly 1,000, or the 2,100-person capacity Avalon.

Steven Frumin, the Roxy?s director of events, said the club was optimistic it would get its licensed capacity back up to 1,300 by November. If not, the restrictions ?will definitely affect? future shows and possibly force cancellations.

The club is shifting its focus to live music and will eventually phase out its DJ-run dance parties. ?We?ve never been written up for a rock show,? Frumin said.

Shows currently scheduled to play the Roxy this fall include Of Montreal, Spoon and Bad Religion.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1034131

Now on a more upscale note, I have been asked to work on this new building!!!! I'm psyched.

Re: pioctures?

BostonObserver said:
Are there any pictures of this development or a web site?

I can't find anything. Isn't it something that a 2500 person capacity entertainment facility is being built and so few details and or renderings have been released?

Guess Menino approves, and that is all that matters!

Ron Newman said:
Why not to the Paradise or the Middle East?

Paradise is way too small, and is set up strangely.

Avalon:

---Stage
GA-GA-GA
GA-GA-GA
GA-GA-GA
GA-GA-GA

Thats normal.

Paradise:

GA-GA-Stage-GA-GA
GA-GA-GA-GA-GA-GA

Ive never been to the middle east, but I think it's also too small.

Palladium really is the only place similar to Avalon in terms of capacity, general admission and layout.

Luckily for me, the MBTA train from Worcester leaves at 12:30, usually right after a show ends. On the downside, its now a $15 round trip instead of $12.

The last time I checked, clubs weren't a nonrenewable resource. If there is that much demand in Boston for medium sized venues, new ones will open. There is much more money to be made in Boston than in Worcester, so I don't see why everyone is treating this like the end of live music in Boston. After all, Roxy, Avalon, Axis, Paradise, etc were all new at some point.

lexicon506 said:
The last time I checked, clubs weren't a nonrenewable resource. If there is that much demand in Boston for medium sized venues, new ones will open. There is much more money to be made in Boston than in Worcester, so I don't see why everyone is treating this like the end of live music in Boston. After all, Roxy, Avalon, Axis, Paradise, etc were all new at some point.

I havent heard of any plans. And with Menino around, I cant see any new large capacity club getting a yes.

connections

look how fast Lyons got this new club approved. If he wants to build new ones i'm sure his buddy the mayor will let him

Sox eye restaurant sites. Look in and out of park
By Scott Van Voorhis | Friday, October 26, 2007

The owners of the Boston Red Sox, already involved in far-flung ventures ranging from a Scottish golf resort to NASCAR racing, are now poised to build a restaurant empire around Fenway Park.

Janet Marie Smith, the Sox architectural and development chief, is drawing up plans for a bar and grill inside Fenway, while eyeing other restaurant locations on streets around the ballpark.

The moves come after last year?s opening of Game On! at the entrance to the ballpark at Lansdowne Street. The team is also the landlord to the Baseball Tavern, a longtime Fenway establishment that moved into a Boylston Street building the Sox also now own.

When it comes to their new ventures, the Sox plan to lead off next season with the Bleacher Bar. A bar and grill concept, it will take shape behind the garage door in the centerfield wall. The door will likely be lifted to give a view inside the park, though not during games, Smith said.

But that is just one of four possible eatery locations on the team?s radar screen, Smith indicated. The team would prefer to give local restaurateurs a crack at the new locations, rather than the big chains.

?I don?t know if it?s a hard and fast commitment to say no chains, but it?s certainly not where we have been looking. We have been looking at local, unique restaurants.?

The Sox have hired a brokerage firm to seek out operators interested in opening a restaurant in the old WBCN building on Boylston Street, now owned by the Sox. The team is also interested in putting a restaurant into part of the Town Taxi garage site.

Sox executives have also expressed interest in buying a parking garage near the top of Lansdowne Street next to the Cask n? Flagon. While calling that a ?perfect location? for a restaurant, Smith said that idea is too long-term to discussion now.

Still, encouraging local restaurants is just part of a larger development plan by the Red Sox to preserve the older buildings around the ballpark and prevent an influx of modern high-rises, Smith said.

?I guess they are not your typical real estate developers,? said Carl Koechlin, head of the Fenway Community Development Corp.
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1040559

The Bleacher Bar, is also a Lyons group venue. I did a walk through with Patrick and the Architects about a month ago an let me tell you. THIS PLACE IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!

from today's Herald
Desolation row: Construction delay on Lansdowne leaves bands and fans in the lurch
By Michael Marotta Monday, January 21, 2008
6c5dcb7263_22land1.jpg

When Lansdowne Street?s biggest and busiest clubs, Avalon and Axis, shut their doors for a major renovation last September, owner Patrick Lyons said the construction would be finished in ?world-record time.? He said a new Lansdowne Music Hall would be finished in early spring - right around the time the Red Soxplay their opening-day game.

Forget it. Not going to happen. Construction of the planned 2,500-capacity concert venue hasn?t begun, leaving the once-vibrant Lansdowne Street nightclub row desolate and music bookers without a 1,000-1,500 capacity venue for touring acts.

Saturday night, UK post-punk band the Editors played to a sea of empty seats at the 2,800-seat Orpheum, an inappropriately large theater. A week earlier, tickets to see red-hot French dance duo Justice, who are playing Madison Square Garden in New York, immediately sold out at the too-small 650-capacity Paradise.

Both acts would have benefited from a mid-sized general admission venue, a void that was supposed to be temporarily remedied by utilizing the Roxy in Boston?s Theater District. But the Roxy is in an ongoing battle with city authorities over capacity limits and currently is limited to audiences of 775 rather than its 1,300-person potential.

Now comes word that the much-hyped replacement for Avalon and Axis won?t be ready until ?mid-to-late fall,? according to Lyons spokesman Alan Eisner. The $14 million facility with a retractable stage appears to be nearly a half-year behind schedule, leaving touring bands and their fans in the lurch.

?(Lyons) doesn?t want to talk much about (the construction),? said Eisner.

?It?s a complicated process with a lot of moving parts, lots of different contractors and pieces. He?s trying to get all his ducks in a row.?

The delay has sparked rumors that Lyons is seeking a partnership with a group such as the House of Blues to oversee the operation of the new Lansdowne club, and that he may be looking to walk away from the music business to focus on his growing restaurant empire. Lyons is already in the process of selling the Paradise Rock Club, a longtime Lyons Group holding, to local bar owner Joe Dunne and concert giant Live Nation.

?The Paradise is on his mind, and he wants to unload that altogether and have it off his plate,? Eisner said. ?That?s in the process, but it?s not a done deal. It hasn?t been transferred yet.?

Sources confirm that the inside of both Avalon and Axis have been gutted, with all furniture and fixtures already sold at auction. When construction will begin in the vacant spaces remains unknown.

?Obviously he?d like to get it done as soon as possible,? Eisner said. ?He wants it done right.?

That leaves Lansdowne Street unnaturally quiet, even with Jillian?s and Tequila Rain and the Lyons-owned Bill?s Bar, Jake Ivory?s Piano Bar and La Verdad Taqueria Mexicana carrying on.

La Verdad manager Brian Roche believes that not having big touring acts to draw crowds to Lansdowne Street for almost a year won?t affect his business, which is based primarily on feeding hungry Red Sox fans. But construction during the baseball season could push customers to the Yawkey Way side of Fenway?s perimeter.

?The only problem I see is if there?s a construction zone (on Lansdowne),? he said Roche. ?That would be a pain in the a--.?
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?articleid=1068138

Im surprised more acts arent going to the Roxy (which even with lower capacity is better than Paradise) or the Middle East (although they are usually booked).

As I predicted, the Palladium in Worcester has bands almost every night, many who have come to Avalon before, and would certainly tour there again.

Saturday night, UK post-punk band the Editors played to a sea of empty seats at the 2,800-seat Orpheum, an inappropriately large theater. A week earlier, tickets to see red-hot French dance duo Justice, who are playing Madison Square Garden in New York, immediately sold out at the too-small 650-capacity Paradise.

This doesn't have as much to do with the lack of a mid-sized venue as it does the vagaries and unpredictability of booking live music acts.

The Roxy isn't an ideal live music venue, either ... and I think they are in a battle over capacity limits and other issues for their nightclub/dance nights moreso than for their live music events.

Isn't the Wilbur theater still vacant? And the club underneath? If there was really this pent-up demand for a mid-sized live music venue, wouldn't this be perfect? Take out the seats downstairs, replace the mezzanine and balcony seats with VIP couches/lounges (these could be made inaccessible for shows which wouldn't warrant their use).

"Theater District" shouldn't have to just mean "touring Broadway shows and Celtic Woman productions."

I've seen the Orpheum packed to the gills every time I've been there, so I'm guessing the Editors simply have no draw in Boston.

Also, the proposed Lansdowne St. music hall is scheduled for capacity of ~2500, compared to the Orpheum's 2800 ... not so big a difference, except for seats vs. no seats.

Also, the proposed Lansdowne St. music hall is scheduled for capacity of ~2500, compared to the Orpheum's 2800 ... not so big a difference, except for seats vs. no seats.

Except all the early articles mention "seats" versus capacity.

Im still hoping they wouldnt be stupid enough to put in seats

Back