New Lansdowne St.

Jake's is too small to become a dance venue.

Are you really saying that, with the exceptions you note, you have never been to a concert that has gone past 11:00pm? At the Paradise, the headliners often start after 10:00pm and go until 12:30-1:00am. I have also attended many concerts at the Orpheum that have gone until midnight. Ditto for Aganis Arena. Concerts at the HOB on the weekends will undoubtedly go later than 11:00 whether they were opening week or not. They need to stay open later strictly for financial reasons. Think about how much money they can make on liquor sales between 11:00pm and 12:00am when the place is full. I am aware of no restrictions on how late they can operate so why not drag the shows out from 7:00-8:00pm until midnight or later like most other venues? I just don't see the logic in shutting down a venue like this at 11:00pm unless that was part of some agreement that none of us are privy to.

Not to get into an argument about what time shows end at, as I think that mostly depends on number of acts and start time, but I don't think many bands play two-and-a-half hour sets.

Since they are probably not going to change the end time for rock shows, is they should continue afterwards as a blues club instead of a dance club like Avalon did (or did it become Axis for the disco hours?)

Axis and avalon were two separate venues, with separate stages and at night, different music concepts. I believe at night one could walk to the other through the inside, but they were completely separated for concerts.

Blues club is a good idea. Currently as the light turns on everyone rushes to stand in the coat line. Having a live after-band would keep people around for a bit.

Not to get into an argument about what time shows end at, as I think that mostly depends on number of acts and start time, but I don't think many bands play two-and-a-half hour sets.

Not sure what bands you see but at the shows I regularly attend the bands often play 2 sets of an hour+ with a set break in between followed by an encore.

And to Jass, shows at the Paradise haven't ended at 11:00pm since it was M-80 a decade ago and they cleared it out for a nightclub after the bands ended. Check out a show these days and I will bet you your concert ticket it goes until well after midnight. I have friends going to the HOB this weekend for a show so I will report back as to what time the show ended.

I'm skeptical about late finish times. I hate to say how I know, but when George Michael played the "Garden", he started late and he said or someone else said that he skipped some songs because he had to finish by a certain time.

Anyone on the board?

His plane was late because of weather. He then had to get permission from the garden and it's crew to play late. The concession stands closed on time however. Many people had to leave 'early' to catch trains. He did play the whole concert.

Not sure what bands you see but at the shows I regularly attend the bands often play 2 sets of an hour+ with a set break in between followed by an encore.

And to Jass, shows at the Paradise haven't ended at 11:00pm since it was M-80 a decade ago and they cleared it out for a nightclub after the bands ended. .

Last show I saw there was Apocalyptica in May. No opener. 9pm start, 10:30pm finish.

I could pull up old pictures and check the time stamps but there's no reason. This is a dumb argument.

Very few bands play for more than 1.5 hours. They exist of course, but very few modern bands do. Not every band even has the catalog of songs to do so. As such, with starting times of 7 or 8pm, shows end at 11pm. Why is the HOB starting shows at this time? I dont know. Maybe the owner hopes after the show people will eat at the restaurant or go to an affiliate bar. Maybe he wants to make sure people catch their trains.

Dumb 'argument' indeed.

In my day (pulls up in wheelchair), if a band didn't play over two hours--even in a small club setting with at least two 40 minute sets plus an encore, they could get bottles and other airborne objects hurled their way.

Oh, the stories I could tell.... :D

There has always been a 'finish' time. Extenuating circumstances may allow some laxity, but some places could/can be downright militant about enforcement. After all, it was during the days of the Blue Laws and like-minded restrictions.

yes it is indeed a stupid argument but I have yet to hear one reason why a venue that is clearly trying to be a world class live music venue would voluntarily shut its doors and kick out its patrons by 11:00pm 7 days a week 365 days a year. You guys just aren't going to the right concerts if every show you attend ends by 11:00pm and the bands you see only play for a little over an hour. Try seeing a concert somewhere other than the Garden, Gillette or Great Woods (all of which have rather strict 11:00pm curfews).

I assume that Gillette and Great Woods have 11 pm curfews because they are outdoors and (maybe?) have residential neighbors, but why does the Garden have one?

yes it is indeed a stupid argument but I have yet to hear one reason why a venue that is clearly trying to be a world class live music venue would voluntarily shut its doors and kick out its patrons by 11:00pm 7 days a week 365 days a year. You guys just aren't going to the right concerts if every show you attend ends by 11:00pm and the bands you see only play for a little over an hour. Try seeing a concert somewhere other than the Garden, Gillette or Great Woods (all of which have rather strict 11:00pm curfews).

Did anyone claim that the HoB was going to be restricting shows to 11pm?

As for going to the "right concerts," that is clearly a matter of opinion. I will say that I've never seen a show at any of the places you mentioned. Most of the shows I've been to in the Boston area were at The Middle East or TTs. I still don't know who you're seeing that plays for three hours, but I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Perhaps we listen to very different types of music.

Did anyone claim that the HoB was going to be restricting shows to 11pm?

As for going to the "right concerts," that is clearly a matter of opinion. I will say that I've never seen a show at any of the places you mentioned. Most of the shows I've been to in the Boston area were at The Middle East or TTs. I still don't know who you're seeing that plays for three hours, but I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Perhaps we listen to very different types of music.

Same here, Ive been to every venue in the area EXCEPT for the garden. Harpers Ferry, Paradise, Middle east upstairs, downstairs, avalon, axis, HOB, orpheum, roxy, lido...

Apparently I listen to the wrong kind of music

^^ Not because of the music, Ron. Because of the concert goers.

Dont playoff sports run pretty late?

Id rather have a group of concert goers than drunken celtics bandwagoners.

Those who argue for the entertainment license expiring at 11:00 PM say sports only happens a few nights a year, when music is every single night.

(That's not my argument, but the argument of people who moved into an entertainment district ......... then promptly started calling the police and their elected officials to have the entertainment venues keep it quiet like the suburbs.)

If we're talking about the Gahden, there are 41 Bruins home games + 41 Celtics home games + playoffs for both + Beanpot + various other random sports events. That's a lot more sports events than concerts.

If we're talking about the Gahden, there are 41 Bruins home games + 41 Celtics home games + playoffs for both + Beanpot + various other random sports events. That's a lot more sports events than concerts.

41+41+32(if we're lucky and every playoff series goes 7 games)= 114
Beanpot = 8 games?
Add 12 lacrosse games for the new Blazers (yay for lacrosse being back)
Puts us at 134 sports events. A few other random ones through the years, like state championships and maybe an NCAA game or 2.

The venue is built for sports and that is the big money maker, but does account for less than 1/2 of all available days.

The remainder is for concerts, circus, Disney on Ice, charity events, blah blah blah.

My guess as to the close time, goes back to the George Michael concert in that the concessions need to close by a certain time. There are also a lot of paid employees, who have to stay until the end of a show and this is probably not in the contract.

Rewrite the service contracts (they are union I believe) and provide later train service, and then you can have later shows. Until, Avenir opens up and people actually move in, I don't see too many neighbors close enough to even hear the rowdy crowd leaving nevermind complain about them.

Back