New Lansdowne St.

Crass, lifeless architecture, hateful toward its environment. The color (that promises the thrill of entertainment?) is a lie. Where are the windows that make the passerby want to be part of the excitement inside? This has all the charm of the ass-end of a suburban multiplex.

Someone tell Kunstler...

Is that corrugated metal sidings? Genius...Not! Are we at Costco?

If that building was still under construction a bunch of people here would be saying that it would look much better if they kept those bright colors.

Went to see Cut Copy on Sunday Night. The interior looks exactly like the old one, just wider. THe sightlines are terrible.. TERRIBLE. Like, Really bad.

Oh god, that is just awful. So awfully bad, my god, a kindergartener could do better.

The interior looks exactly like the old one, just wider

the old Avalon/Axis/Metro/Spit/whatever that was on this site before, or the old House of Blues in Harvard Square?

the old Avalon/Axis/Metro/Spit/whatever that was on this site before, or the old House of Blues in Harvard Square?

Avalon.

The floor is almost exactly the same, they just added a 2nd and 3rd floor

So I went to a couple shows at HOB over the last couple weekends.

Like Jass said above. Not a huge difference over Avalon inside. Could've saved time and renovated. For a chill show I guess I could see sitting upstairs, but I've never been to that type of show so I don't know. The private style bars upstairs looked inviting when standing at the bar with hundreds of other drunken Pouges fans. The bridge balcony is interesting and looks like it would give a great view of a show.

Must say that access to the floor was much better at Avalon. This one has like 2 ramps down to it with rails. I understand ADA and whatnot, but a few more regular step down entries are in order. When the place is packed, and you need a whiskey. Getting off the floor and back on are not the easiest.

They need to work on getting people through the door a bit faster. Maybe this will come with time, but it usually doesn't. Oh and don't coat check unless you want to be in line for a long time. Just dress indoor appropriate and hope the residual heat from the show gets you back to your car or train.

Security on the way in to the DKM show was all about asking everyone "how much have you had to drink" even people who appeared very sober. Some were turned away. I know it was parade Sunday and all, but ease up. I know they want their alcohol bought.... but c'mon.

The inside is definitely nothing spectacular. The outside we have seen plenty of, but I have to say at night it's about a 200% improvement. Still not perfect but at least it looks like night life. A few more active spots would really compliment it. Sucks that the street is fully dead besides a single show at the HOB. Oh to have options again.... punk show at one, rock show at the next, maybe hip-hop or spinning at the next... I'd like to think it could happen again.

UGH. Bill's Bar is closing!

My band was supposed to have a couple more Thursday night gigs there this week and next, and for tomorrow we are instead playing at the Middle East downstairs, while next week's gig doesn't look like it's happening at all. The best explanation we've gotten came from a secondhand source saying that the general manager has to call it quits due to the economy, but we're not putting much stock into that.

Regardless, Bill's Bar will be letting a couple of this weekend's shows happen, and then beyond that it seems it'll be no more.

Fuck!

Watch the Bill's space be merged with the McGreevy's clone moving into the adjacent space.

I always thought Bills Bar was the same ownership as almost everything else on the street

Yep, that ^ article says everything my band has been able to learn. Damnit.

They payed bands peanuts, but it was easy to get people out to there and they had a great sound system. I'll miss it a lot.

Watch the Bill's space be merged with the McGreevy's clone moving into the adjacent space.

First off the Pub has been planned for years..... and secoond what has become McGreevy's wasn't bought by the Dropkick's until Jan (give or take) of 2008.

And Bill's is an affiliate of everyhting else on the street.

That bar being built next to HOB is owned by the Dropkicks?

Back