New Lights in I-93 Tunnel

Tango

Reaction score
Hopefully I did not miss this in the transit and infrastructure posts but I noticed that they are changing the lights in the I-93 tunnel. I was headed south today and noticed that the lighting was much brighter than usual. Then I noticed individual lights instead of the longer connected ones (many of which were burnt out and dark). About three quarters of the tunnel had the new lights but the last section still had the older ones. I like the brighter lights but it shows how dirty the tiles have gotten over the years.

Unfortunately, while the brighter lights aren't a bad thing in the tunnel proper, they're atrocious at the tunnel entrance, at least at night. They're blindingly bright coming in from the dark (at least southbound), and markedly more distracting/annoying than the previous lights...and, rather more problematically, at least in my car the auto headlights read those lights as "daylight"...so the headlights go off until the dang thing adjusts (which is an inconvenience if one learns to anticipate it and react accordingly, and potentially dangerous for those caught by surprise suddenly without headlights in the tunnel :rolleyes: )

Hopefully I did not miss this in the transit and infrastructure posts but I noticed that they are changing the lights in the I-93 tunnel. I was headed south today and noticed that the lighting was much brighter than usual. Then I noticed individual lights instead of the longer connected ones (many of which were burnt out and dark). About three quarters of the tunnel had the new lights but the last section still had the older ones. I like the brighter lights but it shows how dirty the tiles have gotten over the years.
There were a couple contracts for this, all the lights in all the central artery tunnels are being replaced with new LED units. I believe they started with the TWT because those have been getting replaced over the past year or so. In theory reduced electricity and maintenance costs, new fixtures are supposed to last longer and be brighter. As Brattle pointed out, the entry lights are calculated to adjust your eyes to darkness during the daytime, this means at night they are horrendously bright. I had hoped they might put them on a timer or sensor but I'm starting to think they won't

There were a couple contracts for this, all the lights in all the central artery tunnels are being replaced with new LED units. I believe they started with the TWT because those have been getting replaced over the past year or so. In theory reduced electricity and maintenance costs, new fixtures are supposed to last longer and be brighter. As Brattle pointed out, the entry lights are calculated to adjust your eyes to darkness during the daytime, this means at night they are horrendously bright. I had hoped they might put them on a timer or sensor but I'm starting to think they won't

It would be really bizarre if the entrance area lighting did not have multiple modes to dim them in light condition transitions. That is pretty standard technology for tunnel lighting :rolleyes:

Back