New message highlighting timeouts?

Roxxma

Reaction score
Is there any way to adjust unread message timeouts? I can't read all the messages without the new message highlights disappearing after about 20 minutes (it used to be about an hour). It is very annoying if I am reading a thread and go back to the forum menu after a few minutes to see that all new messages have been marked as read (when they haven't been). Most other forums only mark messages read after they've been actually read or manually marked as read by the user.

I don't know, I think it's a glitch. Same thing happens to me, as well as the log-in time-out. If I log-out, or it does it for me, then it assumes all messages have been read, when they haven't.

I'm having the same problem -- many threads where I have unread messages are not being properly bolded.

I haven't noticed this, but I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out.

P.S. It's not recent, for me at least. I've noticed this since we first moved to vBulletin, I just thought it was an issue with my browser settings.

OK, I changed a few settings so that all new unread posts made should remain bold for up to seven days, after which they'll be automatically marked as read. Let me know how it works out.

These settings are more database and processor intensive, so if there is a noticeable drag on the server I may have to change back to the old settings.

now I'm seeing a whole bunch of threads marked unread (bold) that I had already read.

I'm seeing the same thing, Ron. I assume the "read" counters reset for everyone when I changed the settings. I'm not sure, but I dont think this couldve been avoided.

Same deal for me. Your explanation sounds pretty accurate.

so how do I get rid of the bolding for threads I've already read?

Above the "What's Going On" block there is a link "Mark Forums Read" That will mark everything as read.

For some reason once I comment in a thread, it no longer seems to show up under "new posts", even once somebody else comments.

In the past, when Id visit a forum and click on a couple of threads, and then leave, the entire forum would be marked as read. No longer. I liked the old method.

Yeah, that's how it was before with me. I like the new way better, so I don't have to read everything at once and I don't have to remember which ones I've read and which I haven't.

Another vote here for the current set up.

The problem is, Id enter the existing forum and only want to visit the picture thread....so other stuff stays highlighted, and as such, from the main page it appears theres new stuff going on in the existing forum.

Lame.

The problem is, Id enter the existing forum and only want to visit the picture thread....so other stuff stays highlighted, and as such, from the main page it appears theres new stuff going on in the existing forum.

Lame.

You must admit that the new way makes more sense, at least. Just click Mark Forum as Read.

^^ Depends. If you just come here to check a few threads every now and then I could see where the new way might be annoying.
But if you come here every day and read every (or most every) thread, it works a lot better.

No, I can see how it can be annoying. I just think that logically it makes more sense to have unread threads actually appear as unread.

Also, for people who only follow certain threads, there is always the the "Subscribe to thread" option as well.

Back