New Red and Orange Line Cars

But no one else posted it here. I just happened to come across it.

But no one else posted it here. I just happened to come across it.

The Globe article was discussed extensively here not one week ago. Still qualifies as crustily old news when it's a different URL from the same copypasta story from the Patriot Ledger or same copypasta story from 27 different Wicked Local outlets.

Little PR piece from crrc, skip ahead about a minute and there's some interesting bits about the cars from angles you wouldn't normally see:

Also this map to try and prove how not Chinese dependent the cars are.View attachment 7999

Emphasis on 'try' is important here. I'd be quite intrigue to dig into where all of these suppliers are sourced - just looking at Dell, I know they have plenty of manufacturing in China. Which, of course, is how modern supply chains work - products are bounced back and forth across the ocean as they move up the supply chain. There's pros and cons to this, and adapting to changing conditions is most certainly on of the cons.

Long time lurker, but today I captured something hopefully worth sharing! They were running a full 6-car Red Line test train this afternoon around 12:30, which is the first one I've seen. Here it is from Kendall:

Red Line Test Train 11:13.jpg

Also captured a video, if interested you can find it here on Vimeo.

Long time lurker, but today I captured something hopefully worth sharing! They were running a full 6-car Red Line test train this afternoon around 12:30, which is the first one I've seen. Here it is from Kendall:

View attachment 8289

Loved the pic and the video.

Welcome. That may just be the most epic first post I've seen.

Brownie, that was so nice, the pic & the vid!! I haven't seen one of them in person yet!

View attachment 8289

Heck of a job, Brownie
127BA5A2-DCC9-4F58-8A0B-472E0EE669E2.png

It was supposed to be in the end of the year, but I think now, that that has been changed. They were
late getting started with the testing of the Red Line trains. :(

View attachment 8289

Still with mismatched paint on the test set. Guess that won't be fixed until warranty mods.

Still with mismatched paint on the test set. Guess that won't be fixed until warranty mods.
And no T roundel on the side either. IIRC, the Orange Line ones came with it. I recall reading something years ago -possibly around the time Type 8 or maybe even as far back as Bombardier cars- about them not putting the roundel on until a car was accepted.

And no T roundel on the side either. IIRC, the Orange Line ones came with it. I recall reading something years ago -possibly around the time Type 8 or maybe even as far back as Bombardier cars- about them not putting the roundel on until a car was accepted.

These are pilots just like the very first OL car deliveries...unnumbered, either intended to be sent back to Springfield for warranty mods or modded onsite before getting the finishing touches. It used to be policy that the T logo was only applied after pilot acceptance, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time around as the first OL pilots did come logoed (just not numbered). Depending on how much work the Red pilots have gotten during COVID to get brought up to spec with the in-service Orange production cars it remains to be seen whether this will be the actual first Red revenue set (with numbers, etc. painted on) or not. At least in theory they've had enough time to bring them up to spec in-house with the latest Orange mods so these shouldn't need to go offsite for final finishing work. Though I doubt they go into revenue trials without having at least a full second RL set available at Cabot given the need to yank individual pairs in/out of that very first set to pick through telemetry readouts with fine-toothed comb.

No idea why 2 of these pilots are missing all form of side body paint/stickering, including the lower stripe. Maybe just an idle compare/contrast test to see how they wear dirt accumulation bare vs. painted?

Considering the new red and orange line cars are so similar, will we see a revenue red line train soon?

Considering that they look almost alike, parts can be interchanged between the two. Quite similar to the old Blue Line & Orange Line cars when they were introduced in the late '70s or the early '80s.

Most of the trains look the same on the bottom with that distinctive curve.

Back