New Woburn on Rt-128 Big and Small Buidings

whighlander

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the recent rapid {talking 1+ season start to finish of construction} in Woburn along Rt-128 by Cummings Properties

This is a large {my guess is 800,000 gross sq. ft.}, although not very tall building {10 stories?), with about 60,000 square foot floor-plates and a lot of glass -- it reminds me of a lot of Crystal City in DC

There is another {apparently smaller} structure that has been rising nearly-overnight on the site of the former Woburn Rt-128 Commuter Rail and Logan Express complex

We need some intrepid down-town folks to stroll out and take some pictures and provide their architectural critique

Also -- The speed of construction on these suburban structures is amazing -- although I've been impressed with the rapidity of construction of the BU towers as well. Perhaps there have been some innovations in construction of steel frames upon which a member might enlighten us {an ugly if you pardon the pun construction}

Westy {celebrating my new senior member status with a new and hopefully active thread}

Some of this is a temporary courthouse and jail to replace the Cambridge one while it is being renovated.

Ron, thanks for the head?s up on the Jail as a temporary tennant
I did some checking on the Cummings Properties Website www.tradecenter128.com/ -- herewith with really obvious self promotional stuff edited out:

?Trade Center 128. Consider 400,000 square feet of unprecedented new, first-class office space fronting Routes 128 and Interstate 95 in Woburn, MA?.just one mile from the intersection with Interstate 93?It is the largest single building ever developed by Cummings Properties?
Trade Center 128, on the site of the original Northeast Trade Center, is already one of the largest and most prominent buildings along the entire length of Interstate 95, from Bangor to Miami. With its unique three-story archway entrance, it will also be among the very most readily recognizable and distinctive locations?..is readily accessed from both Exit 34 and Exit 35 from I-95. It is 15 minutes from Logan International Airport and from downtown Boston, and 25 minutes from the Massachusetts Turnpike's Weston entrance, and includes a free 900-car parking garage.?
Cummings Properties has a prominent sign for advertising Trade Center 128 to be ready for occupancy in June 2008!! However, I presume that the timing for the trips {e.g. 25 minutes from the Massachusetts Turnpike's Weston entrance} was made at 2 AM on an early Autumn night or the trip was by helicopter!

Evidently {pun} the Middlesex County Courthouse will temporarily lease for 5 years? {While Cambridge is reconstructed} ?it?s own 150,00 sq ft building? within the complex ? connected by the parking structure to the rest of the Trade Center 128 office complex . That? a good way to find an anchor tenant ? and if the typical courtroom that I?ve had the pleasure of serving on a jury in Cambridge is any guide there will be some nice custom mill work for the follow-on tenants.

Westy

According to the Woburn Daily Times-Chronicle, the building under construction at Mishawum is to be the new headquarters of Northern Bank & Trust Company (which happens to be my bank) and is part of a project which will also include 210 units of housing. I wonder if they'll reopen the old Mishawum Station to more frequently scheduled trains.

Back