Newburyport Urbanism

#bancars

Reaction score
Spent some time in Newburyport today--didn't see a general thread for Newburyport developments or urbanism, so wanted to start one! Mods, feel free to merge or move as appropriate if I missed it!

When you get off the train, you are greeted with the sight of some wonderful infill immediately adjacent to the station!
Station Dev 5.JPG
Station Dev 4.JPG
Station Dev 3.JPG
Station Dev 1.JPG
Station Dev 2.JPG
Train.JPG

A really nifty rail trail connects directly to the station and takes you straight downtown--a brisk 15 minute walk! Normally, I find it annoying when commuter rail stations aren't located right downtown, but I think Newburyport's set up is actually pretty good--no giant parking crater for the station in the older area of the city, and the rail trail here gets you downtown in a 5 min bike ride or 15 min walk.

Clipper Trail 2.JPG
Clipper Trail.JPG

And a few misc. shots of Newburyport's wonderfully-preserved core! Feels like a slightly-smaller version of Portsmouth.

Old Port 2.JPG
Old Port 1.JPG
Old Port 3.JPG
Old Port 4.JPG

I adore Newburyport. I've never quite understood why it seems to have less seaside cache than places like Marblehead, Rockport, Newport, and Kennebunkport.

I adore Newburyport. I've never quite understood why it seems to have less seaside cache than places like Marblehead, Rockport, Newport, and Kennebunkport.

Might have something to do with being New England's epicenter for Tabanus nigrovittatus? After all, one of the town's most beloved products practically boasts about it (as perverse as that seems).

Joking aside, I'm not so convinced this is true--I always figured the whole stretch of Cape Ann from Newburyport south through Essex was as perennially "ready for its Yankee magazine close-up" as those towns you cite.

Back