Newton Infill and Small Developments

jklo

Reaction score
It appears to be an attempt to get something built there, as least dense as possible, to ensure that something gets built there instead of something much denser in the future.

Equilibria

Reaction score
How do you have such a large plot of woods in a city like this? This whole area is filled with conservation areas, does anyone benefit from these areas?
Well, people benefit from the conservation areas. This area is a large plot of woods because it was private property.

DBM

Reaction score
does anyone benefit from these areas?
The lawyers have certainly benefited immensely from the *vigorously litigated* Webster Woods... which are essentially next-door. (The southwest corner of Webster Woods is only a half-mile from the northeast corner of this parcel/development site, I see.)

It's too bad there can't be a "grand solution" here involving enlarging Webster Woods somehow to include a portion of this parcel/development site, while still developing the remainder of the site in a far more thoughtful/tasteful way.

[Then again, how could you acquire/engineer a pathway across Route 9 from the edge of Webster Woods to this parcel?]

curcuas

Reaction score
The "conservation areas" are almost all just NIMBYism to prevent development. Areas of land in the suburbs that no one can access for "environmental reasons" but really so that no one else can move to their town. The history of these places is well documented in CA (and I think in MA).

Equilibria

Reaction score
The "conservation areas" are almost all just NIMBYism to prevent development. Areas of land in the suburbs that no one can access for "environmental reasons" but really so that no one else can move to their town. The history of these places is well documented in CA (and I think in MA).
I disagree with that - a lot of them were donated recreational land meant to be kept as recreational space, like Norumbega Park in Newton.

They're basically "state parks" at the municipal level - city parks but covered in trees.

curcuas

Reaction score
I disagree with that - a lot of them were donated recreational land meant to be kept as recreational space, like Norumbega Park in Newton.

They're basically "state parks" at the municipal level - city parks but covered in trees.
If they're actual accessible park land, that's different. But there's enormous amounts of conservation land that is just closed and useless. Gov't protected NIMBYism

mass88

Reaction score

What types of recreational activities are happening at these woods?